Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    5/29/2004 9:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my god. It's like Ultimate McDojo made love with his sister Uber-Bullshido to spawn the most horrible of horrible mutant babies.

One of the worst things is they have taken things I know to be useful and made them useless. Next time we meet up at a Throwdown I'll make sure to discuss with you my schools take on Dragon style/strategy and toe-heel alignment.

Posted On:
    5/29/2004 9:29pm

Style: Bad Parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow....wow....

Posted On:
    5/29/2004 10:47pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Phrost, how many of these schools doea bunyip have to review to make the hall of fame? I'm thinking 5-10.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/29/2004 10:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5-10 to get ino the hall of fame? man, i should do a round up of all the aikido schools in auckland, thats at least 15...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2004 4:38am

Style: Kobudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was about 15 years ago so it doesn't warrant its own thread (unless they're still around, I'll check that) but those of you from Australia might've heard of the "Kevin Hawthorne Ninja Schools" in Melbourne.
    I'd just joined the city based Togakure Ryu Bujinkan dojo but was eager to study as many genre schools as might be in the slightest useful and authentic, visions of martial prowess in my mind's eye. And this school was more established than Togakure as far as dojos (ie. cash) went.

My basic inquiry led to a free introductory lesson.
    "Three of our white belts went over to Togakure's dojo and beat up one of their black belts," I was proudly told.
    Then I was shown the wrong way to use nunchakus.
    And ordered to trip up another student as he sprinted past me during one part the lesson, in a clandestine whisper from the "Sensei." The guy was several years younger.
    On some Saturday nights, it was mentioned they did some extra-curricular training at the local lake. They dressed up in black and terrorized people.

Yeah, they seemed great. I was genuinely impressed, had the "Sensei" not looked as if he'd just been released from prison I'd have acted more seriously on my urge to punch him.
    You'd sometimes see their "company" cars, early model sedans with "NINJA 1" etc. personalized plates.
    For a while they had trios of their "students" cruising public transport "for commuter safety" in red and black jackets with their insignia emblazoned over a mural on the back. Most of the time I just saw them intimidating anybody. I mean I weighed like 50 kg tops back then and these guys used to eye me out (must've been the sheer breadth of the combat challenge).

Then there's "Bob Jones Karate"....

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    5/30/2004 4:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Bob Jones CORPORATION you mean... ;)

I still can't believe he would actually admit that.

Posted On:
    5/30/2004 5:11am

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a bunch of shitheads.....
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2004 5:27am

Style: Kobudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah they really burned martial arts over here. Once I got pulled up by a couple of railway cops transporting some MA equipment from a friend's house where I'd been training the weekend. Virtually none of the stuff was on the prohibited weapons lists (shoge and all the "ninja" replica weapons had only recently hit stores and even so were cheap tin and useless for anything but real docile backyard training). Nevertheless I had the whole lot, my bokken and hanbo, etc. confiscated and a week later a regular cop came over to my house and offered to drop the charges that were going to be laid (butterfly knives however had just been put on the prohibited weapons lists and I'd had two in my back pockets).
    If I told him quietly, just here and now that my martial arts school (Togakure Ryu and Wing Chun Kung Fu both of which I was a member), had said it was okay that I carry all those martial arts weapons on the street.
    I couldn't do such a thing. So that was the source of my only criminal conviction.

Really, groups like Bob Jones (tee hee) Corp. and Kevin Hawthorne NS couldn't give a stuff about the damage they do. Bullshido.net is an awesome site. Glad as hell to see it.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    5/30/2004 8:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They confiscated your hanbo?! Man, couldn't you have just said it was the handle of a short broom or something? ;)

While I don't mind them confiscating knives a great deal, that makes me think I could be arrested for carrying a broomstick home from the local hardware store. :(

I still can't believe BJC gets away with its name... doesn't the name itself scream STAY AWAY?

Posted On:
    5/31/2004 5:05pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Samuel Browning
    Hey Phrost, how many of these schools doea bunyip have to review to make the hall of fame? I'm thinking 5-10.
    5-10?! I've been to two lessons and my brain cells are already begging for tiny little frisbees so they can commit seppuku!

Lesson three will be up tomorrow.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast