Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212728293031 32333435 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 4:42am

Style: undecided

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I concur

As a former student of West Wind, I can vouch for the accuracy of Bunyip's assertions, as well as how full of **** this school is. Of course, I was a student there when I was 10 -11, the early 90's. The very fact that a kid like me was a student there along with a bunch of other kids attests to how useless this place is for adults (anyone 16 + or so) who wants to learn to fight. And hey, what is the point of joining a martial arts organization anyway? To get a goofy looking pajama suit? A colored belt? a bunch of sleeve patches? No, you fucking want to learn how to fight and have an edge over some drunken asshole who takes a swing at you in a bar, or some thugged out **** on the street who grabs you by the collar and demands your wallet. I was attending the classes there for well over a year (how the hell did my parents afford it?). I got into plenty of fist fights between the ages of 10 and 15. I can't recall how anything I ever did there could have applied to the school yard fights I got into even if I had tried to use it. As best as I can recall, there were group classes where rows and rows of us got into horse stances and stuck out one arm at a time when the teacher yelled/kiaided or whatever—in other words, alot of synchronized punching and kicking motions. There was one-on-one or small group instruction as well during my weekly trips there, spent doing the choreographed kata stuff. Now of course, I was a young kid so I didn't give a **** anyway, I was just marking time until I could get home and watch cartoons. But I definetely recall a bunch of middle aged guys doing these stupid katas with the idea that they were gaining some sort of fighting skills. Well, as this sight and these threads constantly reiterate, and as my own street fighting experiences tell me, doing a bunch of martial arts dances like they teach you there won't do ****, if it did why didn't a year's worth of lessons every come up at all in all the fights I got into? Heavy sparring is the essential part of training, how the hell can boxers and football players do their thing if they don't practice it in situations that mirror a game or fight? Bruce Lee would have fucking shut this place down with a challenge match in the old days when he was in Oakland. Read Tao of Jeet Kune Do and pay attention to the fact he constantly repeats: you can't predict or prepare for a fight with a buch of stupid prepared game plans, which is what Bok Fu teaches.

Posted On:
    1/27/2007 11:09pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting post. Feel free to make a quick intro about yourself in our 'Newbie' forum.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Please use paragraphs and spacing for easier reading.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 7:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Combat Ki

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the best thread I've read on the forum so far. Dude you are awesome for doing this. There are a lot of jerks and idiots on bullshido but there are quite a few awesome people too. There's obviously a lot to learn here.
    The links to their website don't work anymore. I did a search for West Wind/ Bok Fu on Yahoo where the heck did they go? Dude you closed the friggin school lol
    I couldn't believe what I was reading,how can such a place exist in our day and age and who the hell would be stupid enough to fall prey to their cultish tactics...it blows my mind. All those assholes should be lined up in a ditch and hosed down with an AK 47, it makes me so angry that someone would manipulate, brainwash and take advantage of sheeple...ahem I mean people like that.How can they sleep at night? And dude...I could see this kind of crap going on back in the 60's when people were still ignorant about the martial arts, but today?

Bok Fu is supposed to be a Shaolin style and it's translated Way of the White Tiger and it has something to do with Kenpo too. I remember Keith Hackney the White Tiger Kenpo stylist who fought in the UFC his nick was Giant Killer because he beat the crap out of a 600 pound sumo wrestler. He ended up fighting Royce Gracie and he gave Royce a harder time than the other competitors, staying on his feet, resisting the takedown and punchin Royce in the face like 11 times. My point? You can be good even in a traditional style if you train the right way, get in top shape, and you actually FIGHT full contact. Like it would kill the McDojos to have at least a separate full contact class for those who want it. But noooo... we get good with forms only.
    The sad truth however is that people prefer a delusion to the truth. Forms sell. A karate instructor was asked "How many real fighters do you have at your school?" He said "None.I tried teaching them the real stuff but they hated it, especially the parents, so I went along" Go figure.

poser

Posted On:
    1/28/2007 6:33pm

Style: punching bag / crew jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol @ the west wind fighting/losing stance
    Last edited by kwoww; 1/28/2007 6:36pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 7:15pm

Style: no-gi judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bunyip is god, from under-cover badass to beauty and the geek, this man is officially the next messiah

and he got a perfect on his sat to boot

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 2:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    karate he who made karate popular the karate kid? damn all that crap is far from par and im a little bored!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 3:47pm

Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/01/2007 11:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent thread. Glad I took the time to read it.

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    8/16/2007 1:55pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to be bringing back this 'dead' thread, but what were the results of the throwdown?

Did any west wind people go?

Sorry, but the search function doesn't seem to be working.

Posted On:
    8/24/2007 4:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bok fu (but might switch)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a new student at West Wind, and I'm new to martial arts. I am begginning to think that I made a BIG mistake by signing up there... it really is very much like a cult; they're starting an ACADEMY there, like a school for kids K-12. On the second floor there's a shitload of books, and the teachers are also no more than the teachers that give bok fu lessons. It also seems like bok fu doesn't have very much real life application, since a lot of the techniques are kinda... poor? I'm figuring out a way to leave, since my parents are paying for it I need hard evidence that the place is a cult, fraud piece of ****. Let's bring it down!!