Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192526272829 30313233 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 12:32am

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BD - I think the video clip is pirated from Matt Thornton's (president of the Straight Blast Gym) Functional JKD dvd. Modern Combatives, where the throwdown is going to be held, is the local SBG affiliate gym and has copies of a lot of SBG videos that they are willing to lend their students.

If you're interested in more alive training but don't want to turn your back on WW yet, why not take some classes at another school simulataneously? In fact, I currently train at two different academies. If a school is confident that they're teaching good ****, they shouldn't have a problem with you seeing what other schools have to offer.

Modern Combatives has a more MMA style and is just a few blocks away from WW, but there's no shortage of excellent pure Muay Thai or BJJ schools all around the area. I can give you some recommendations if you'd like. I work on the Berkeley campus all day, so if you'd like to meet up for lunch sometime to chat, that would be cool.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 6:55am

Style: Bok Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, since you guys have been itching to get a West Wind to go to a throwdown, I'm wondering if I can guilt West Wind into not only participating but hosting a throwdown. I'm going to give my teacher a bit of a put up or shut up ultimatum. This is a great time, too. My sensei is about to take over as the head instructor of the Berkeley school. They all go around spouting off about how good each other are. I would really like them to show it. It must be different than boxing or the occasional tough man competition.

They will probably kick me out for even suggesting it.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 8:03am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDickRich
    They will probably kick me out for even suggesting it.
    Maybe you should just try to get some other students to go with you to the Throwdown. I doubt you are going to change the school.

The people who will pay as much money as, I am gathering that, it takes to train at West Wind are probably not the same people who would pay that much to train while getting hit in the face or having to roll every class. The people who are fine training that way are probably not going to pony up that much money.

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 11:19am

hall of fame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    West Wind will never host a throwdown. From a business point of view, it would be an incredibly stupid thing for them to do. Unless I'm totally mistaken and somehow their students have learned to fight without ever actually sparring.

If you want to start making a difference at the school, here's two small things you can do. Neither of these suggestions would cause a legit school to bat an eyelash, but I bet you'll meet with significant resistance if you suggest them.

1) Make the instructors understand that you and the other students should be sparring on a regular basis. My understanding is that you have group classes in the evenings. Every one of these should include some sort of sparring with contact.

2) Encourage as many people from your school as possible to come to the throwdown. There are flyers, designed by JKing, posted in the throwdown thread. Print them out and post them around your school. Be sure your instructors understand that they aren't advertisements for Modern Combatives. If West Wind wants to host the next throwdown, they can post flyers at ModCom and all the ModCom students will come out and attend. Also, be sure your classmates understand the throwdown isn't a competion. It's training, and free training at that.

3) (bonus) Meet beka and I sometime so we can chat. Once you've made your 10th post you'll be able to receive private messages and we'll set something up.
    Last edited by bunyip; 7/27/2005 11:24am at .
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 11:25am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Normal" Fees

Is there a sensible formula for figuring what a "proper" or "normal" monthly fee is? I have found a few threads on the subject but nothing really concrete, it seems that around 100$US is average for TMA schools, a bit higher for MMA/Boxing gyms (due to higher insurance premiums) Any thoughts?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 11:45am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    Is there a sensible formula for figuring what a "proper" or "normal" monthly fee is? I have found a few threads on the subject but nothing really concrete, it seems that around 100$US is average for TMA schools, a bit higher for MMA/Boxing gyms (due to higher insurance premiums) Any thoughts?
    I dunno. I go to a MMA type gym and I pay $49 a month. www.nesf.tv

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 1:34pm

Style: Can't afford one yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bunyip, thanks for posting that stuff about training with "Aliveness". I'm eager to start fight training soon. This site and more specifically, that Matt Thornton clip really opened my eyes to what kind of school and training I should be looking for.

See you guys at the 2008 SoCal throwdown. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2005 4:04pm

Style: basically newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wait, I missed the part when you challenged a teacher there to a fight to prove that your skills are greater..what page was that on?

Posted On:
    8/08/2005 12:12am

hall of fame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Yo Yo
    wait, I missed the part when you challenged a teacher there to a fight to prove that your skills are greater..what page was that on?
    Perhaps you should reread the thread. You seem to have missed the point, a recurring theme in your posts.

After that, read the NorCal Throwdown II thread.

After that, read the current NorCal Throwdown thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2005 2:48pm

Style: basically newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bunyip
    Perhaps you should reread the thread. You seem to have missed the point, a recurring theme in your posts.

After that, read the NorCal Throwdown II thread.

After that, read the current NorCal Throwdown thread.
    I read it all, you seem to be saying that the people at that school's style is worthless, and that they charge money for it. I missed the part where you put your skills to the test against their skilled practioners. I'll check out those other threads later.
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192526272829 30313233 ... LastLast