Toothpaste, Peetree, I thank you both.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/02/2004 11:41am

supporting member
     Style: Jun Fan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe he should go ahead and join for a little while, and we can take up a collection
    to pay the first month(?) fees. I'm in for a few bucks if I can paypal it.
    It's hard to fight when you're in a gazebo -- Mitch Hedberg

Marasmos

Posted On:
    6/02/2004 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See if you can fail their whitebelt test.

I mean, fall on your ass while executing a simple kick, get the horse stance all wrong, etc. I bet they wouldn't fail you no matter what you did.
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2004 2:26pm

Style: Crosstraining/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Notice that they weren't advertising the BEST instruction, just the most EXPENSIVE. Any business that trades on price instead of quality is on my suspect list from Day 1.

Get the address of CORE and post it here. More importantly, plan an alternate exit scenario in case you need it. This whole process follows a pretty straightforward pattern of indoctrination used by many cults:

1. Start by overawing the mark with boasts of "most expensive", "best woman MA in the country", and so forth. Impress them at all costs, even if it means doing stupid **** like teaching class in a 3-piece suit.

2. Tell them how exclusive and selective you are, hammering home the point that you gotta be special just to get in the door. Immediately compliment them by saying that you "think they seem to be the right type" or that you "have a good feeling" about them. Convince them they might be one of the lucky few to be honored enough to receive an invitation to join.

3. Teach them useless crap, but emphasize how deadly every aspect of it is. Amaze them with the mystery and power you are imparting to them in just the first few lessons, without any risk of them walking away with anything of use.

4. Sidestep the issue of cost... emphasize how little money means to you, even though you charge more than anyone else. Make everything relative, not concrete.

5. Use double-speak and circular logic consistently. Unable to figure out what the hell you are really saying (or not!), they will eventually give up trying and simply accept it all at face value.

6. Keep the mark coming back over and over, and make sure they meet lots of bigwigs, and that they know how important and wonderful each bigwig is. Instill a sense of obligation to these people, so that the mark feels like they should keep coming back to jump through another hoop.

7. Give the mark a Rite of Passage, in this case, a White Belt test in front of the high muckamuch him/herself. Impress upon the candidate that this will determine their fate. Make sure they feel it is up to them to perform for you, and not the other way around.

8. Following the Rite of Passage, separate them from their comfort zone and take them to a strange place. Conveniently have some of the others join you and the mark. This will make them more vulnerable.

9. Use the old carrot & stick approach... get'em to feel honored by the invitation, then get to the money. When they start to resist, work the guilt, back and forth until you have rights to their firstborn or at least one gonad. Get a signature.

10. Invite them to keep coming back as they can afford it. Get as much as you can up front so they'll feel stupid if they drop out. Help them rationalize why they feel weird about it with your choice of shitty platitudes "To be the best sometimes costs the most," for example.

After this, who cares? You've got them locked in and collected some fees up front. Give them shitty instruction with enough misinformation and they'll sell themselves on the effectiveness and wonder of the program from there on out.

Hmmmm...

Kinda makes me want to get all NINJA on some asses when I think about it! Of course, I mean "get all NINJA" in a www.realultimatepower.net sort of way that totally WAILS AND WREAKS HAVOC, not in a wussy Sho Kosugi kind of way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2004 2:28pm

Style: Donkey Punch Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Matsufubu
    You probably could, but it would be the most expensive video in the world.
    But damn well worth it! Maybe the local television news I-team can go pwn this place on camera! I am serious! If you take this story to them, they could do some great **** with it. Get some cult experts to comment on the techniques they use. Get a BBB spokesman to comment on the sales tactics. Get reputable MA instructors to comment on their instruction. This could be awesome!

I want to see a vid cap of Mr_X with "pwn3d!!" stamped across his face and the FOX news logo in the corner! :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/02/2004 2:37pm

Style: GJJ, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't wait until the meeting with the 8th dan in accounting and marketing, Mr. Amil Kohgudui.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/02/2004 2:41pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by HAPKO3

I mean, fall on your ass while executing a simple kick, get the horse stance all wrong, etc. I bet they wouldn't fail you no matter what you did.
    THIS is the best IDEA ever.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    6/02/2004 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by HAPKO3

Great idea! Go to the test wearing a Karate Kid bandana on your head and warm up doing the "was on, wax off" drill.

Posted On:
    6/02/2004 3:03pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seconded.

Unemployed

Posted On:
    6/02/2004 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My erect penis anxiously awaits the next installment of OWNED BY BUNYIP.
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"