Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    12/07/2002 1:48am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD supporters will frequently make arguments about how "Yeah, a lot of McDojangss do point sparring, but not at my mine. We have joint locks and we keep our kicks low and everything! Besides, the Korean military uses Tae Kwon Do." That's a fine argument, but I'm curious as to what separates "good" TKD from any other martial art. I mean, joint locks? Nothing special, and their usefullness in real-life in questionable. Low kicks? That's common sense. Everything I've seen in favor of TKD pretty much looks like lame karate. So what I want to know is what makes "good" TKD unique, not what makes it not-suck. Why should I take TKD over anything else? What does it offer?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2002 2:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    look boyd, no one is telling you to join tkd. in fact you should not join it with that kind of attitude. your argument is pretty crappy, let me ask you this, what is so good about muay thai?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2002 2:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    let me tell you, i only mention joint-locks and throws when people say that tkd lacks other techniques besides kicks. you ask what it offers, well if you are serious and not trying to be an asshole(witch you clearly are trying to be) it offers everything that any good striking art would give you. you ask what the difference is between good and bad, well there is no good or bad, it is how it is practiced just like any other art.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/07/2002 2:32am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually most Koreans I know think Tae Kwon Do is pretty useless, impractical and a Japanese import to boot. They like winning gold medals in the sport, though. Other than that, only kids in Korea even bother. There's a great scene in a great Korean movie called "Cheat King". A guy is tormented by his boss, who is constantly putting him into headlocks. He goes to a TKD school and is met by an instructor in a NECK BRACE! He asks the guy how to break a headlock. The guy is teetering around in the brace and shows him all these ridiculous things that hinge on avoiding the lock entirely and kicking the guy in the head. When he persists, the TKD guy lets him put him in a headlock and then complains it's too tight. Great movie.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2002 3:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do I take Tae Kwon Do?

1. Its fun in a goofy sort of way.

While I understand other styles may be more effective, I've done enough grappling for now, thank you. I don't care about being tough anymore and I don't feel like wrestling another stinky guy on the mat anymore either.

2. I do the silly forms well. Since I can't dance worth ****, this makes up for it.

The forms are fun too. I love hitting the bag, but forms are a nice break.

3. I rock at the silly padded sparring.

When I was younger I liked hitting people. But I never liked actually hurting people. I'm a softee and a bit squeemish. TKD lets me trade strikes and not worry that much about the other person.

4. At 35 I can jump in the air and do a round kick and back kick before my foot touches the ground. My wife (who is very good at Jiu-Jitsu), gets turned on when I do the fancy double aerial kicks.

And this impresses people more than saying you grapple. I've been a grappler and now a kicker so I know what I am talking about.

5. The women in my class are hot.

I may be married but I ain't blind!

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/07/2002 5:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL I think boffo wins the prize for best reasons to take a style.

Boyd, yeah it's not that different (according to the people on here), that's why taught in the manner discussed here it would be just as effective.

The argument could be made that all techniques are pretty similar between styles (with some minor variation) the same way you commented about tkd. With that argument it would really come down to what do you want to emphasize and how do you train. If you wanted to train with a lower risk of impact injuries and improve your kicking I would presume you'd want to take tkd.

*You're all a-holes*

Posted On:
    12/07/2002 6:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shush, TKD Fighter. I was just asking a question.

Actually, no, scratch that. I'm bored and I wanna flame someone. Furthermore, your poor grammar irks me to no end.

in fact you should not join it with that kind of attitude.
    Huh? Because I want to know what sort of benefits Tae Kwon Do, with its ungodly level of terrible schools, could offer me? Or is it because I'm just demonstrating common sense and basic individual thought? Fag.

your argument is pretty crappy
    If this were a movie, we'd comically zoom in on my face, and I'd go "WHAA??", because really, what argument? I was just asking a question. Tard.

let me ask you this, what is so good about muay thai?
    Well, I don't know much about Muay Thai, considering I have no clue WHY THE **** ARE YOU BRINGING IT UP. The only thing I know about Muay Thai is that people who use it tend to win a lot of fights, and that's good enough for me. Loser.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    12/07/2002 6:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You had an arbitrary post break at this point, so I made one as well.

you ask what it offers, well if you are serious and not trying to be an asshole(witch you clearly are trying to be) it offers everything that any good striking art would give you.
    Yeah, but every good striking art has something unique it offers above other arts. Karate focuses on generating power. Boxing offers extreme refinement of punching and footwork. Jeet Kune Do is really really vague and mysterious. What does Tae Kwon Do have? Crazy kicks. If you get into that sort of stuff, that's great and all, but if I want self-defense I want to know why I would want to take Tae Kwon Do instead of karate. Idiot.

you ask what the difference is between good and bad, well there is no good or bad, it is how it is practiced just like any other art.
    Dammit kind sir, you can't apply things you read on fortune cookies to a heated internet typing match and expect me not to call you on it. There IS good and bad. People who get beat up frequently are bad at martial arts. Conversely, people who win fights frequently are good at martial arts. People who train in flying ninja pyramid roundhouses and the Front Sweep (made popular in The Karate Kid 3) are more often than not poor fighters. Coincidentally, Tae Kwon Do emphasizes these techniques, it would seem. Once, I saw this giant 500 page book on TKD, and I thought it might contain some actual insights into the art. It had a section on real-life self-defense, like if a person was attacking you while you were seated, which I found cool. I found it less cool when they pretty much copied the same response to everything: stand up, get into fighting position, and throw a roundhouse at his head. It was at that very moment I understood the true meaning of Tae Kwon Do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2002 7:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the question "what's so good about muay thai?"

where to begin........

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/07/2002 5:24pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai is an effective STRIKING art. Its shown itself to be effective in striking competition, and as the foundation for striking for a mixed martial artist in NHB competition.

Muay Thai has very effective training - conditioning, drilling, bag work, focus mitts, and full contact sparring so you get experience fighting!

I'll leave technique analysis to people with more experience in it than I, but basically, it hits to hurt, each technique actually WORKS, and you are able to trade blows with the best of them.

Oh, by the way, did I mention clinching?

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast