Administrator

Posted On:
    4/01/2004 1:16am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo Question

I'm having a hell of a time trying to keep my head up, and not hunched over looking to shoot for a leg while clinching in judo.

Any suggestions, and possibly any thoughts on what I can do better my base while standing.

I have a spar pro at home I'm gonna put a gi on and practice one throw on till I get it right.

First throw, O Soto Gari. :)

Everyone's first throw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2004 4:32am

Style: Aikido and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, when I was training in Judo before I stopped I liked playing like a Russian.

Take the leg grips, if you like it down there then you'd better starting fighting it. Ankle and thigh grips are nice and low for the scarifice throws. Possible belt and ankle for kata garuma(firemans carry throw)!

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    4/01/2004 5:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well... when I'm working with the kids in the kids judo class and they start to bend forward, I tell them to immediately shoot for some kind of leg sweep. Osoto, ouchi, kouchi, kosoto, sasae, etc. This usually causes them to posture up. If they continually get leg swept, I tell them to got for ankle picks, etc. This causes them to move their butts out.

I guess some better advice might be to focus on the following three things:

1) Grip fighting, don't let them get two hands on you;
    2) Off balancing, pull you opponent in one of the eight directions; and
    3) Work your foot sweeps to set up other moves.

You'll have a hard time bending over if you concentrate on 2 and 3.

This advice is if you're definitely trying to fight japanese style, which is good for ectomorphs and endomorphs as I've noticed. The europeans fight in a modified freestyle stance, which seems to be a lot more effective for mesomorphs. And the europeans field some tough guys. So each has it's pros and cons.

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    4/01/2004 8:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, a very simple trick to avoid bending down is to get with a wrestler and practice pummelling, which involves swimming the arms through various standing overhook/underhook combinations while maintaining chest to chest contact.

Posted On:
    4/01/2004 11:13am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you're pushing, focus on pushing with your lower stomach area (I guess it'd actually be dan tien area, for the chinese martial artists out there). Don't push with your arms. Other than that, just do it. If you don't have mats, get together with a couple friends and practice grip fighting and have a third person tell you every time you start bending over.

That said, you CAN bend over and do well, but your teacher may not know how to coach that style well, so it'd be better to stand up straight.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    4/01/2004 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fight a good sacrifice player and get it slammed out of you.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    4/02/2004 12:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Judo Question

Originally posted by Anthony
    I'm having a hell of a time trying to keep my head up, and not hunched over looking to shoot for a leg while clinching in judo.
    Generally, your "hunched over" feeling is in anticipation of the shoot. This in effect is a telegraph, so you need to get rid of it.

Also, as you do this (lean forward/hunch), your center of gravity is raised up, and toward the back (your ass sticks out, and your weight is on your toes).

Work on your footwork. Your hip possition and your balance are the most important areas for you to solidify, before working techniques to get to the target.

Think of lunges. Think of squats. Think of lowering your body vertically, without bending at the waist.

When you've got these basic movements ingrained into your body, work on quicker movements, possibly with both feet, in multiple directions
    (to train some explosiveness into your initial motion for any shoot).

Using Mikua advice about "pushing with your lower (dantien)" - think of "sitting," keeping your hips forward as you move.

Keeping your head up while shooting is more a matter of proper body positioning and centering. When done correctly, it hardly feels like you did anything at all. Shooting will become effortless, second-nature, non-telegraphed, and fun!

`~\

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/02/2004 12:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks all of you. I'm going to try to do this in class tonight.

I'm glad for all the judo guys on this forumn for being so verbose, or I wouldn't have joined back up again.

Once I feel comfortable in a month or so with Judo, then I'll be back again with BJJ. I can't wait for the look of surprise on some of their faces. LOL.

Judo 3 times a week, Jits twice. Can't wait.

"Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Loving Father

Posted On:
    4/02/2004 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Anthony
    Thanks all of you. I'm going to try to do this in class tonight.

Judo 3 times a week, Jits twice. Can't wait.
    Over the course of 12 years, I trained 10+ years in judo, aikido, and karate.
    They all began to blend together into ??

One is not better than the other. . .find
    YOUR strengths in each, and practice to rid yourself of the inherent weaknesses
    as they affect you.

g'luck!

`~\

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/02/2004 1:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meex,

Since both Judo and BJJ have roots in Ju Jitsu, I can see and feel it. I'm excited to bring both branches together. :)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast