Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 8:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu/Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do you convince one about martial art bs?

alright, so here's a question that's been on my mind. how does one convince someone about the bullshit of many martial arts? I don't know if this is in the right forum or not, so please forgive me.

I know a bunch of pals who I argue day in and day out about how many martial arts (mostly tma) don't work versus MMA.

I've given them bullshido links, and that guy who talks about aliveness (I forgot his name. Matt?)

and they come back saying "Those articles are all opnion". They say that MMA has rules to keep the fighters safe and alive, while people in the street are subjected to "eye gouging, nut grabbing" etc etc.

So my question is, how do I convince them? They mostly say that realists in martial arts (mostly in bullshido) are nothing but opinions. They've claimed to have defended themselves using: Aikido, Ninjutsu, Tai Chi, Hun Gar (spelling?) and say believe that every martial art is equal. They claim a master of Ninjutsu can take down any MMA champion. They claim that it's the person not the art.

Everything I've thrown at them, from Jet Li saying he can't beat up MMArtists (they believe he said that to not slander MMA)

To articles (they believe they're only opinions)

to videos (they say that their are only videos of MMA winning but not traditional arts winning, why they don't know)

to asking them to go to throwdowns (in which they say martial arts is not for fighting, but for defense.)

I really want to try and help these guys out, but it seems they have an excuse for everything. Is there a way? Or do I just have to wait until they finally get attacked by someone who does do mma?

:5question

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 8:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bring them to a throwdown?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 8:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu/Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    Bring them to a throwdown?
    although far from my location in most cases, I've been wiling to drive with them down there, although they will use the excuse "Martial arts is for self defense, not fighting or competition" or something like that..

meaning the only way you'd get them into a fight is if you attack them..but wouldn't htat be assault?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 9:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Smirk at them in a knowing manner and say

"yeah OK buddy, whatever you say"

and then walk away

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 9:01am

Style: VT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm actually having the same problem with a couple of my mates who study Ip Chun Lineage Wing Chun.

I keep trying to get them to spar, but everytime i've arranged it they chicken out. Theyre both seem utterly convinced that they can apply what they do but neither of them has ever sparred (full contact).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 9:04am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask them nicely to do a light sparring session with you. Explain to them that there will be no hard hits, it's just practice, and you want to learn from THEM how they deal with certain situations. Then beat the **** out of them and say that was only 20% of your full force.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 9:40am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At some point, you exhaust your resources and you pass the point of diminishing marginal returns. They say "experience is the best teacher" so sparring is the most obvious answer, but you've said they're resistent to that idea or avoid it all together...you can't help that.

Just as there are as many different frauds in industries like health/fitness or diet/nutrition...there will be plenty in the MA's...and there will always be people who are so emotionally invested in them or too delusional or too lazy to try/think otherwise. It's the same reason as with all things in life...people know smoking is bad for you...there is plenty of evidence of it...they recognize and ACCEPT that it's bad for you........yet they still smoke. You just have to let it be..........at some point, it's literally a lost cause and no longer worth your time/energy to try convincing them otherwise.

Maybe I'm just a pessimest...

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 10:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Soju is right. If they're not willing to act on their claims, all the talk in the world is a waste of your time. Find more worthy company...

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 11:48am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Show them the JFS v. Osiris video.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2008 11:58am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they're not willing to spar just tell them the truth, that they're a punch of pussies. Mercilessly take the piss out of them as often as possible. Don't stop unless they spar with you.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast