Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2004 5:05pm

Style: JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

question for judoka

besides the basic concepts and ideas of judo, i dont know much about the specific techniques. what would be a proper cancellation/counter to an osotogari?

alot of people seem to know this move and think it is the end all be all of takedowns. most likely because of the WWF, where it was called the 'rock bottom'. so how would i go about keeping the osotogari from taking me to the ground?

***ned

Posted On:
    6/09/2004 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osotogari also happens to be one of the hardest throws to execute on a judoka. Considering that it's usually one of the first throws that they learn.

Posted On:
    6/09/2004 6:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2004 6:25pm

Style: Judo+BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: question for judoka

Originally posted by meowrsx
    besides the basic concepts and ideas of judo, i dont know much about the specific techniques. what would be a proper cancellation/counter to an osotogari?

alot of people seem to know this move and think it is the end all be all of takedowns. most likely because of the WWF, where it was called the 'rock bottom'. so how would i go about keeping the osotogari from taking me to the ground?

Learn some Judo. :-) Osotogari is the very first throw I learned in Judo and for me it has a very low percentage of working against other judoka. And when I say very low, I mean it will work against players who are just starting to do randori and that's about it.

That said, I work as a doorman and have used osotogari many times successfully at work since I started taking Judo in September. Clinch, throw, pin, and wait for cops to remove garbage from underneath me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2004 8:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's a kickass link, helps a heapful. i can see what you mean about osotogari on other judoka, it's very basic, to the point that non judo people try to muscle the throw without any proper body mechanics. i'll tell you though, if you don't do judo and you're not expecting that leg from the clinch, you're going down :).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2004 9:16pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe the traditional counter to o-soto-gari is o-soto-gari. I've had some success with sasae fake into o-soto, or o-soto fake into sasae -- Yamashita's book on O-soto-gari is truly beautiful, if you really want to get into it.

Posted On:
    6/09/2004 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O-soto is usual a much better throw for big guys. In randori I've been driven onto my head by bigger guys who block my chin during the fall.

Look up Yamashita. However, I would recommend looking at high-percentage throws like Harai Goshi and Tai Otoshi if you're tall and lanky, or Seoi Nage variations if you are shorter than average.

Being 5'11" and 66kg, I'm working on the following for competition:

Harai Goshi (ususally ends up as an unintentional makikomi throw)
    Tai otoshi
    Ouchi gari
    Ippon Seoi-nage for bigger guys
    Uchi mata if someone ever teaches it to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    6/09/2004 11:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can rock O Soto on people who have been training for years. I am 6'3 with long ass legs, so it is easy for me. The simplest counter is O soto. I have countered it with Koshi Garuma.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/09/2004 11:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how the **** does osoto gari look like the rock bottom?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2004 11:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm not such a big fan of the wwf/wwe, so i'm probably wrong. but im sure someone along the lines of the wwf was doing an osoto gari with zero hip movement.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast