Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2004 3:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A few questions

I want to start running for endurance and losing a little weight

How long should I use the treadmill each day/times per week?

My pal told me the rule of thumb is to jog for an hour and you can lose a pound but what if I find I can't keep up the whole hour?

When I go jogging with friends (once or twice a week for about 30 min, would go more but erratic schedules) I found either my back felt kinda wierd or one side of my body sort of hurt, I assume its from not running with a proper form, so what is the proper form?

I don't have a lot of upper body strength so pushups is a bit of a pain, I seen a few people doing them while walking past a bally's total fitness but what they did was roll on their one knee, are these still effective or will I just be wasting my time?

I'm exercising with lighter weights for my tendons (if I use to heavy a weight my elbows literally feel like they are about to pop out of my arm and from what I understand its from having weak tendons) should I just keep up with regular arm curls or should I do something else?

And for sit ups, do I keep doing them till I get tired or my back hurts or is there a set amount I should do each night?

thanks for your responses

Posted On:
    5/24/2004 4:15am

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Running form:
    http://www.runningplanet.com/article...article_id=400

Don't just go out and try and run for an hour - if you've been sedentary up until now you're liable to hurt your knee. Work up to it and give all your stabilizing muscles a chance to develop.

If you can't run for an hour, then run, then walk, then run some more. Or swim. Whatever keeps your heart rate up.

The rest of the questions I'll leave to the experts.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    5/24/2004 5:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My questions are:

Do you get a decent workout in your martial arts training ?

Is your MA training athletic and very strenuous ?

If not I say your wasting your time where you are and to look for another martial arts dojo to train at, otherwise you are wasting your time and money. Look for a martial arts school that pushes you hard so that by the end of it, your soaked in sweat. Train there 3 times a week and you really don't need running. I used to do lots of running but I don't really need to now. My martial arts training is a great workout in itself. Very hard.

Don't be concerned about running for an hour or bullshit like that. Remember YOUR A MARTIAL ARTIST. Your not training to be a marathon runner. Martial artists are not runners and as a result we do not train like them. The same applies with weights. If your doing martial arts 3 times per week lift weights at the gym IF AND ONLY IF you have time.

If not just do exercises that use your own body weight like pushups and situps - they are normally safer too especially if you have weak tendons. To answer your other question you don't need to do them every night.I would say every second night is good enough. How many you do is up to you but personally when I hit 100 of each thats enough.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Taking a break

Posted On:
    5/24/2004 5:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll let other pwn Hannibal for his comments. Sadly I don't have time at the moment.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    5/24/2004 5:40am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, cuz pro fighters never do cardio or strength training. They just punch and kick all day long.

Idiot.

I chase crooks for a living, so if I get in 3 foot pursuits a week, I don't really need to do any other exercises. That would be a waste of time.
    Last edited by Ka-Bar; 5/24/2004 5:44am at .

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2004 6:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Hannibal
    I haven't been able to train for a while, I gotta find a job that not only lets me out in time so I can go to class but also pay enough so after school fees I'm not broke

I found one place but so far it's been a bitch trying to get in

Posted On:
    5/24/2004 6:07am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** you too cocksuckers !!!!

Read between the lines dipshits !!

The points behind my post was this: (real slowly now)

(a) Its all about time. Not all of us here have time to train 3 hours a say 5 days per week. Due to daily commitments of work and study or whatever most of us can only train 3 nights per week for a couple of hours. That being the case the martial art you do should be strenuous to give you a good workout and to expose you to harsh training.

(b) Never said running was useless nor was weight training. Just pushing the point that weights and running is o.k if you got the time for it. Unlike you two I'm not unemplyed nor do I sit at home and sit on my ass waiting for mummy and daddy to give me money.

(c) Martial arts is the issue here. Make martial arts the 'bulk; of your training - the basis upon which everything else is an aid to but not a substitute. o.k ?
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    5/24/2004 6:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No you're not okay.

Posted On:
    5/24/2004 6:25am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shut up McFU, I ain't talkin to you.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    5/24/2004 6:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    News Flash

As long as it's not in PM, you're talking to everyone.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast