Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/06/2002 5:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some schools now that have gone back to the old style uniforms like this place: http://www.hingdaiwui.com/index.html
    San Soo people don't usually stick to tradition so much. As long as the stuff worked, they didn't care.

Also, I don't know how hard it was to find authentic chinese kf uniforms back in the 60s. It may have been that that uniform option was not available at the time at a good price (custom made was probably out of the price range for most of the first generation people). Anyhow, that's how they did it back then, and that's how they do it now(so I guess that's a good thing)!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2002 7:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I suppose it doesn't matter... as long as the training is authentic. Myself, I prefer a sweat pants and a t-shirt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2002 8:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    who gives a flying **** about what you wear? Its absurd and ego based. it is also very naive and stoopid to put down a school by saying that it is not kung fu just because they dont wear those fag silk pajama outfits.
    you know what i wear? loose jeans and a tshirt.
    you are going to be wearing that anyway if you get into a scrap or have to defend yourself so you might as well train in the clothing befitting the reality.

Edited by - egg chen on December 07 2002 07:13:55

Posted On:
    12/08/2002 11:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    San soo was the family art of Jimmy H. Woo. He brought the art to America in the 60's. I think its the very few existing combat oriented kung fu systems.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2002 11:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and what exactly do you deem "combat oriented"?
    i doubt many of ANY of these martial arts cults have seen or experienced "combat".

Posted On:
    12/09/2002 11:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jimmy H. Woo's family were body guards in China and he himself had killed a number of people using his family art. In many San Soo schools forms are rarely or not even practice. You really have to try San Soo and compare it to other styles of kung fu they are very different.

As for "cults" and "experincing combat" thats a an interesting comment. From what I understand the majority kung fu styles before the 1900's are not like the system you see today or like that bloody wushu nonsense. One Master of a system I spook to mentions that he has some old footage of boxers fighting in the 1930's like tai chi and they were completely different from the kung fu system we see today. I thought that was interesting. I have seen Boxers from old black and white Boxer Rebellion photos in fighting positions that dont even resemble the kung fu styles we see today they actually look very similar to western boxers. If you go to Malaysia you find very combat oriented systems of Kun Ton/KunTaw etc. kung fu. No nonsense approach to fighting. Hardly any forms just mainly techniques. I guess its partly due to the ethnic strife in that region of the world Malaysia/Indonesia where you have alot of mass killings you find very effective no-nonsense combat systems. Its a life and death situation in most cases there. Life is pretty cheap in Indonesia. I knew of one guy who was in Indonesia and for the first week he saw 3 knife fights. Two were fatal. No one really cares about you even if your bleeding to death on a side walk in broad day light.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2002 2:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find San Soo to be the all around best for (real life) effective no-nonsense combat systems.I would like more information on Kun Ton/KunTaw if you have any thanx

Posted On:
    12/20/2002 4:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KJM sorry it took so long to get back to you. Cun Ton/Kun Ton/Kun Taw etc. are Chinese Indonesian martial arts. They were develope by the Chinese communities that settled in Malaysia and Indonesia and to some extent in the Philipines as well. They are generally no nonsense martial arts and very eclected. Each teacher will continously modified or add techniques to the original system. It was meant for combat so your life depended on it. The back drop on these arts are due to the ethnic strife in the region. Its a very volatile and viloent area of the world. Not only you have ethnic cleansings/pogroms and the like you have cannabals and headhunters to deal with. You have conflict over relgion as well- between Muslims, Christians, Pagan relgions, Hinduism and so forth. The reason why there are so many names to the fighting systems is due mainly to the different Chinese dialects (there are 55 or so ethnic groups in China). The written language is the same but the language can differ. a character system is used much like how we see symbols. So in essence even though diffrent languages are spoken you can read each others writing. I know its pretty strange!
    The cun ton fighting systems are mainly a mixture of eclectic kung fu mixed in with silat or so other art. Very fast and hard hitting. Using internal energy and the like. Its hard to describe by words only. The various kun ton systems are generally kept very secretive and is difficult to gain access to learn. There a very few teachers that teaches this system in the west. In my estimation it is very simialr to San Soo with its combat orientation. Less emphasis on forms more emphases on practical techniques and mainly how to main or kill your attacker not hurting your opponent like in karate or most kung fu styles or even BJJ etc. You want to kill your attackers.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2003 12:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Controlling your attackers should be the goal, not necessarily killing them.

Posted On:
    2/23/2003 3:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're pretty much under control if they're dead.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast