Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The future of martial arts film

This is something ive been thinking about lately due to watching old films with friends. Are martial arts films dying out? (Excluding china/hong kong). All the guys that made martial arts films did have a martial arts background (even though they may not have been a legit badass) and they are old now. Norris, van damm, jet li, ect. Hell even michael jai white is 50. There arnt any young stars that are producing these films now, they are all off doing cgi filled super hero films. The last martial arts style films that came out recently that i thought were great was john wick 1 and 2 but even keanu is gettin old.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    This is something ive been thinking about lately due to watching old films with friends. Are martial arts films dying out? (Excluding china/hong kong). All the guys that made martial arts films did have a martial arts background (even though they may not have been a legit badass) and they are old now. Norris, van damm, jet li, ect. Hell even michael jai white is 50. There arnt any young stars that are producing these films now, they are all off doing cgi filled super hero films. The last martial arts style films that came out recently that i thought were great was john wick 1 and 2 but even keanu is gettin old.
    They aren't completely gone, just mostly straight to DVD now. But there doesn't seem to be any new blood.

Style
    Super Street Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've noticed that in recent movies the inclusion of MMA and BJJ influenced fight scenes, still choreographed but you're seeing triangles and armbars, chokes and dirty boxing in fight scenes now. People are a little more savvy when it comes to this stuff with the popularity of UFC, but it's not as visually stimulating as flip kicks and wrist-lock throws... so I don't know that it could really carry the genre.

There's exceptions with exciting and visually stimulating MMA movies (like Warrior), but I think double-leg to ground and pound would wear thin across 15 movies and people aren't lining up to see wire-fu movies.

They can't make movies that don't make money.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scot Adkins springs to mind. Don't particularly care for his movies myself, but he's the only young-ish one I can think of.
    "I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scares away ghosts, creates for itself goblins--it wants to laugh." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If you are getting scared and short of breathe remind/tell yourself ,"There's no where else in the whole world I choose to be tonight."

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah mma doesnt do well when its choerographed. Kickboxing is probably the only style that looks great on screen that is heavily used in mma.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
    Scot Adkins springs to mind. Don't particularly care for his movies myself, but he's the only young-ish one I can think of.
    Funny, I came in here to mention him. Talented dude, I actually think he’s a pretty decent actor... but yeah, his choice in movies is... not the greatest.

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Martial arts films", per se, had their heyday from the 1970s - '80s, then basically just morphed into what we'd think of today as action movies. Try to imagine a modern action flick - spy, superhero, whatever - without MA-inflected fight scenes.

Style
    BJJ/Zumba
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say we're seeing the Martial Art inclusions more now within TV series and integrated more specifically into action films and the like, especially in the 'West'.

Things that come to mind are John Wick for movies or specific STYLE biopics around Boxing/MMA etc, and obviously the comic book TV shows specifically with the lower powered "city heroes" like Daredevil, Ironfist, Luke Cage etc.

It feels they've kind of taken all they can from the "Style vs Style" type of Movie, and you need to spend more time building character and the reasons for fighting to be able to throw money at it and also have someone pull off the coolness of the fights themselves (meaning a whole team to work on those so they're awesome).
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well John Wick is cool because most movies don't showcase Judo well....it's too hard to fake it. Jason Stratham has skills but you never see it showcased the right way (Fast in Furious Movies) because they have to make up for the fact the other asctors don't really do Martial Arts. There is a lack of Charisma now, I think that is part of it really.