Page 1 of 11 12345 ... Last
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Net Neutrality under attack again, FCC is trying to sneak its revocation.

Net Neutrality under attack again, FCC is trying to sneak its revocation during the holidays.
    FCC PREPARES TO UNVEIL PLAN TO GUT NET NEUTRALITY (wired did the all caps not me)
    https://www.wired.com/story/fcc-prep...et-neutrality/
    THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS Commission this week is widely expected to release its plan to reverse Obama-era net neutrality rules that banned internet service providers from blocking or slowing down content or creating so-called "fast lanes" for companies willing to pay extra to deliver their content more quickly.

We don't know the details of the plan yet, but Republican FCC chair Ajit Pai made it clear earlier this year that, at the very least, he plans to overturn a decision that reclassified broadband internet providers as "common carriers," like telephone companies. If internet providers are no longer considered common carriers, it would be hard for the FCC to enforce any rules against slowing down certain sites or apps.

Barring a last-minute change of heart by one of the three Republican commissioners, the order will likely be approved during the agency's next open meeting on December 14.

Jettisoning net-neutrality rules would make it easier for companies like AT&T, Comcast, and Verizon to give their own streaming video services priority over others, such as Amazon Prime or Netflix. It could also make it easier for companies to impede voice and messaging tools like Skype and WhatsApp.

Of course well-established services from deep-pocketed companies like Google, Facebook, and Microsoft will likely remain widely available. But net-neutrality advocates argue that smaller companies that dont have the money to pay for fast lanes could suffer. In other words, protecting net neutrality isn't about saving Netflix, but about saving the next Netflix.

Previous FCCs have largely agreed. The agency first moved to protect net neutrality in a 2005 policy statement declaring that internet users had a right to access the content and services of their choosing. Under that policy, the FCC in 2008 ordered Comcast to stop slowing BitTorrent connections; the cable giant challenged the ruling, arguing that the agency had overstepped its authority, and won. The Obama-era FCC passed a more robust set of rules in 2010, but those were struck down in 2014 following a lawsuit filed by Verizon.

Under then Chair Tom Wheeler, the FCC then decided that the best way to ensure its authority to enforce net-neutrality rules was to reclassify broadband internet providers as common carriers.

Despite broad support for net neutrality among both Democratic and Republican voters, Republican politicians rallied against Wheeler's net-neutrality rules before they even passed. US Senator Ted Cruz of Texas called net neutrality "Obamacare for the Internet," and Donald Trump warned, nonsensically that it would "target conservative media." The FCC ultimately passed the rules along a party-line vote.
    Article is sourced and continues in GREAT detail. If you do nothing else today please read the article in its entirety.

There has been repeated public outcry but it is not enough. There are many ways to help. The easiest I have found is https://resistbot.io/ There are plenty of other options and all it takes is a quick search to find out how. Americans deserve the right to access and do business on the internet equally.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...backlash.shtml
    FCC Plan To Use Thanksgiving To 'Hide' Its Attack On Net Neutrality Vastly Underestimates The Looming Backlash
    from the there's-no-hiding-from-this dept
    Numerous reports have indicated that the FCC intends to try and hide its attack on net neutrality behind the looming Thanksgiving holiday. The agency is expected to either unveil its formal plan on Wednesday while Americans are distracted by holiday preparations, or potentially on Friday, while Americans are busy shopping for black Friday bargains. Regardless of when it's unveiled, the announcement will involve unveiling a formal date to vote to finally kill the rules, currently expected to be December 15:
    "It's a devilishly brilliant plan by the FCC and its chairman, Ajit Pai, who has made no secret of his wish to undo the benchmark rules put in place during Barack Obama's presidency. There will inevitably be plenty of people already enjoying their holiday break, and any major coverage on Wednesday will then be lost to a day of turkey, gravy, football, and indigestion, followed by three more days in which people won't be looking at the news."
    Except this obfuscation plan isn't "devilishly brilliant," it's a massive underestimation of the brutal backlash awaiting the broadband industry and its myopic water carriers. Survey after survey (including those conducted by the cable industry itself) have found net neutrality has broad, bipartisan support. The plan is even unpopular among the traditional Trump trolls over at 4chan /pol/ that spent the last week drinking onion juice. It's a mammoth turd of a proposal, and outside of the color guard at the lead of the telecom industry's sockpuppet parade -- the majority of informed Americans know it.
    Net neutrality has been a fifteen year fight to protect the very health of the internet itself from predatory duopolists like Comcast. Killing it isn't something you can hide behind the green bean amandine, and it's not a small scandal you can bury via the late Friday news dump. This effort is, by absolutely any measure, little more than a grotesque hand out to one of the least competitive -- and most disliked -- industries in America. Trying to obfuscate this reality via the holidays doesn't change that. Neither does giving the plan an Orwellian name like "Restoring Internet Freedom."
    It's abundantly clear that if the FCC and supporters were truly proud of what they were doing, they wouldn't feel the need to try and hide it. If this was an FCC that actually wanted to have a candid, useful public conversation about rolling back net neutrality, it wouldn't be actively encouraging fraud and abuse of the agency's comment system. To date, the entire proceeding has been little more than a glorified, giant middle finger to the public at large, filled with scandal and misinformation. And the public at large -- across partisan aisles -- is very much aware of that fact.
    Consumers, small businesses, and those interested in keeping the internet open, healthy and competitive will remember this severe of a shafting. It's going to inform policy conversations and voting decisions (especially among Millennials) for years to come. This isn't something that can be hidden between the cranberry sauce and Grandpa Jones' corn bake surprise, and the fact that Ajit Pai's staff thinks that's even possible highlights how absurdly out of touch the current FCC actually is.
    Article continues in tiny text, sources, and great detail.

I do think the article over estimates the backlash. I think people are suffering burnout and overwhelmed by the constant attacks on normality and freedom. There should be backlash and outcry at yet another attempt to control the net, its culture, and information in general.
    Last edited by Christmas Spirit; 11/21/2017 11:08am at .
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Going hand in hand is this:

"The Federal Communications Commission on Thursday voted to begin scaling back a program designed to help low-income Americans access the internet."
    http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/17/tech...ans/index.html
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because I make my living on the Internet, this is an important issue for me. Or, so you would think. I've waffled on it before - I've been both for and against the idea of net neutrality, the last time we had this conversation.

I do recall that before net neutrality, I had a shitton of bandwidth options as a consumer. Not just "oh, I can do dialup with whoever." I've had dialup, BRI, cable, satellite, various flavors of DSL... Was anxious for fiber and/or BPL, and PRI was almost within reach, but those promises disappeared around the same time that net neutrality came on the scene. I know FCC wasn't the only factor in the slowdown of innovation, but it is a consideration.

Today, my consumer options are limited to cable (TWCSpectrum) or DSL (Ma Bell) (lol at 4g, good in a pinch, but not reliable enough to use all day every day). Currently, I'm on cable. It sucks. DSL sucks, as well. Maybe rolling back net neutrality will allow some competition, again. I'm all for that. BPL seems like a really fantastic option, because no additional wiring needed.

And, here's what the current FCC chair thinks:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the...net-1511281099

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Because I make my living on the Internet, this is an important issue for me. Or, so you would think. I've waffled on it before - I've been both for and against the idea of net neutrality, the last time we had this conversation.

I do recall that before net neutrality, I had a shitton of bandwidth options as a consumer. Not just "oh, I can do dialup with whoever." I've had dialup, BRI, cable, satellite, various flavors of DSL... Was anxious for fiber and/or BPL, and PRI was almost within reach, but those promises disappeared around the same time that net neutrality came on the scene. I know FCC wasn't the only factor in the slowdown of innovation, but it is a consideration.

Today, my consumer options are limited to cable (TWCSpectrum) or DSL (Ma Bell) (lol at 4g, good in a pinch, but not reliable enough to use all day every day). Currently, I'm on cable. It sucks. DSL sucks, as well. Maybe rolling back net neutrality will allow some competition, again. I'm all for that. BPL seems like a really fantastic option, because no additional wiring needed.

And, here's what the current FCC chair thinks:
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the...net-1511281099
    I think your forgetting that the options you had prior to net neutrality had more to do with the fact that Comcast and Time Warner hadn't yet bought everyone out.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh I should point out that companies like Comcast were already throttling services from competitors even with the laws in place.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I'm not forgetting that. I didn't call it out specifically, but I did say that NN was not the only factor.

Also, Comcast's throttling (assuming you're referring to the P2P blocking) occurred before the "law," was in place. It's not actually a law, it's a regulation within the broader scope of law that already existed, that's what we're talking about, here. You can tell the difference because we're discussing what the FCC (executive branch) is maybe going to do. Congress has taken no action on this, yet, from what I can tell. Which means, there's no law to be "before," or "after," or "against." Regulations often carry the weight of law, but they are not the law.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I'm not forgetting that. I didn't call it out specifically, but I did say that NN was not the only factor.

Also, Comcast's throttling (assuming you're referring to the P2P blocking) occurred before the "law," was in place. It's not actually a law, it's a regulation within the broader scope of law that already existed, that's what we're talking about, here. You can tell the difference because we're discussing what the FCC (executive branch) is maybe going to do. Congress has taken no action on this, yet, from what I can tell. Which means, there's no law to be "before," or "after," or "against." Regulations often carry the weight of law, but they are not the law.
    There was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more to Concasts(yup) throttling than just p2p blocking. Only an idiot or someone who is purposely deceitful would play this as anything other than two giant ass companies trying to fight off losses. This is just another one of those fights that people like you are going to really regret winning. Just wait until your service provider nickel and dimes you to the point where you can't afford basic internet access or when they decide through control what opinion they will allow you to have. So go ahead and win this, it's your loss to gain.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    There was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more to Concasts(yup) throttling than just p2p blocking. Only an idiot or someone who is purposely deceitful would play this as anything other than two giant ass companies trying to fight off losses. This is just another one of those fights that people like you are going to really regret winning. Just wait until your service provider nickel and dimes you to the point where you can't afford basic internet access or when they decide through control what opinion they will allow you to have. So go ahead and win this, it's your loss to gain.
    You've been doing so well, it is disheartening to see you return to barely-comprehensible babble.

You realize that there was NO law, and NO regulation from the birth of the internet until just 2 years ago, right? And, all of a sudden, just rolling back a regulation that has barely had time to be implemented is going to end the world as we know it? ****, dude, you are dense.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've been doing so well, it is disheartening to see you return to barely-comprehensible babble.

You realize that there was NO law, and NO regulation from the birth of the internet until just 2 years ago, right? And, all of a sudden, just rolling back a regulation that has barely had time to be implemented is going to end the world as we know it? ****, dude, you are dense.
    The regulations were in RESPONSE to the **** companies like Comcast were pulling. It was an effort to stop them from fucking up access to the internet by turning it into a fucking coin-op tier system. And you call me dense?? You and a very small number of mostly republicans are the only fucking people on planet earth for this bullshit. You're basically in the same league as flat earthers on this one.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... Last