Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the thing - people used to want to watch fighters like Wanderlei Silva, who stomped people in the face until their ancestors got retarded and spoke mostly in barely intelligible growls. Now we've got fully grown professional MMA fighters dressing up like motherfucking 70ies TV pimps and talking about how much money they're making as a way to appeal to the aforementioned mongoretard fans. Half the low-level MMA fighters have taken to Twitter, trying to talk big game and hoping to get noticed enough by the fuckwits that Dana gives them enough money to live and train on.

**** the new fanbase and the inbred horse they rode in on.

Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True "humility" is more internal than external. If you're aware of the fact that you can lose if you don't train hard enough, that's humbleness in its most genuine and functional form.

Some guys might talk trash to sell fights and get into their opponents' heads, but that doesn't necessarily reflect what they actually think. Muhammad Ali talked more **** than anybody in human history, but you better believe he worked his balls off before every fight.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandem View Post
    Sometimes I think it's not just about arrogance, it's fighters trying to get inside their opponent's head and psych them out.
    It is a strategy. I think it’s also a distraction to the person doing the **** talking.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    I used to agree with this- philisophically I agree with this- but look at Conor Mcgregor. He seems to have pretty much mastered the trash talking regime and has even admitted he just does it to sell fights, and unfortunately, it works. I donít personally like it, but you canít argue itís not a sound financial decision in a career where being able to sell fights is as important as being able to win them.

I think thereís just a large percentage of the fan base that likes to buy into the emotional drama that trash talking creates.

Hell, a large portion of the county voted for Donald Trump, who did nothing but talk **** without ever outlining a single policy.

Riding hype trains are practically an American past time nowadays.

Again, I donít agree with it. I personally prefer respectful fighters, but it is what it is.
    I would never argue that trash talk doesnít sell fights. It does. But fighting ability and money making arenít always proportionate.

Conor McGregor has made a metric **** ton of money but he will never, ever be considered one of the greats. Anybody who says that is just a beer swilling knuckle dragger who doesnít know ****.

Look at McGregorís opponent. Mayweather is rich as **** and an all-time great in his sport. And yeah, he engaged in **** talk and focused on money later in career. But he didnít do that **** when he was building himself as a fighter. He was quiet as a fucking mouse until he was solidly on top of the world. At least be the fucking man before you start talking like Ric Flair.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    I’d be hesitant to say Mcgregor’s trash talk had any effect- success or failure- in either of their fights.

In the first fight Diaz was a last minute replacement, they had a few back and forths leading up to the fight, but there wasn’t much time for a build up.

Mcgregor lost that fight by trying to box with Diaz who is just a better boxer, and likely tougher. He was already done by the time it hit the ground.

The big difference in the second fight was Mcgregor’s game planning. Especially his use of low kicks, which Diaz- who tends to fight off his front leg- is particularly vulnerable too.

What struck me as odd about their second fight was that Diaz showed great leg defense in his previous fight with Michael Johnson, and everyone seemed to pretty much know what Mcgregor’s plan was going to be...

Maybe Nate was just over confident after their first fight.

Anyway, my overall point is that I don’t think the trash talk had anything to do with anything outside of selling tickets.

And the ufc has always appealed to that kind of crowd. At this point the ‘just bleed’ meme is over a decade old. And people used to boo every time a fight hit the ground, now there seems to be more appreciation for the ground game than there used to.
    The only reason there’s more appreciation for the ground game is that the rules only allow a certain kind of ground game that is a little more appealing to watch. They no longer allow people to get wrestlefucked for an entire round. Wrestlefucking is hideous to watch but extremely effective.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    That's the thing - people used to want to watch fighters like Wanderlei Silva, who stomped people in the face until their ancestors got retarded and spoke mostly in barely intelligible growls. Now we've got fully grown professional MMA fighters dressing up like motherfucking 70ies TV pimps and talking about how much money they're making as a way to appeal to the aforementioned mongoretard fans. Half the low-level MMA fighters have taken to Twitter, trying to talk big game and hoping to get noticed enough by the fuckwits that Dana gives them enough money to live and train on.

I think Jon Fitch should follow Conor McGregor around and beat him up in the club after every one of his fights.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    True "humility" is more internal than external. If you're aware of the fact that you can lose if you don't train hard enough, that's humbleness in its most genuine and functional form.

Some guys might talk trash to sell fights and get into their opponents' heads, but that doesn't necessarily reflect what they actually think. Muhammad Ali talked more **** than anybody in human history, but you better believe he worked his balls off before every fight.
    Fair point.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post

Channeling your inner Seanbaby on this post.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can easily tel the difference between forced humbleness and people who are less egotistical and more chill through training. At my gym, most people are pretty chill even though they're a bunch'a killers. Where I've seen forced or faked humbleness is mostly in styles where everyone's out of shape and nobody actually fights.

Style
    ninpo nusubito, arnis
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kendamu View Post
    Where I've seen forced or faked humbleness is mostly in styles where everyone's out of shape and nobody actually fights.
    or MAP...

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last