Page 2 of 2 First 12

Somewhere between a baguettte and a croissant
    Style
    Yoseikan Budo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    My two cents:

I also was taught to NOT swing the arm while roundhousing (in Nippon Kempo that is a karate-ish thing), and also to kick "through" the bag, but once a Muay Thai instructor told me that swinging the arm is better.
    Also, at times I tried to explain the basic of roundhouse to some lower belts and ended up with an explanation similar of that of Tramirezmma.
    My personal explanation is this:

1) when you throw a roundhouse, there is a moment when your upper body stops, and you use the abdominal muscles to accelerate the hips and the leg. The torso act as the "still part" (because of its inertia) whereas the hips act as the moving part.

2) swinging the arm adds some counter-rotation to the torso, thus it's easier for the abdominal muscles to accelerate the hips and add power to the kick.

3) If you contract your abdominal muscles too soon, tough, you stop the torso too soon, so that it becomes difficult for the hips to complete the rotation and "move through" the bag.

4) If you contract the abs once your torso is fully rotated, so that (for a right kick) your right shoulder is pointing to the bag, you won't have a full arm swing, although you will still have that sort of "sudden stom" feeling. I think this is what Tramirezmma is advising.
    The movement of the right arm is just to get used to rotate your torso before the abdominal contraction.

Please note that I suck at kicking and most of my kicking experience is against the bag.
    Interestingly enough, Yoseikan Budo is also a karate-ish thing when it comes to kicking, although the method of power generation is closer to western boxing which is compatible with the thai-style kicks. By the way, the mix between Karate technique and boxing power generation made me realise that people in my gym tend not to make a difference between a round kick and a roundhouse, and do a kind of mix between the two. Coiling the body give a lot of power, but is easily telegraphed and is hard to retrieve from if the kick miss. The round kick is faster, not as obvious (you can hide it as a front kick or a low kick without loosing too much power) but doesnt have as much impact.

The technique I was aiming for when it comes to full roundhouse looks more like the one showed in Buakaw's video. But the point about the shoulder's placement seems like an interesting thing to try out, especially when it comes to balance, since swinging the arm definitely help with that.

Guess I'll give this a try in the gym tonight

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I love this man ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Somewhere between a baguettte and a croissant
    Style
    Yoseikan Budo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had the time to work on this roundhouse a bit this week, and some things have become more clear :

-I definitely don't turn my shoulders enough according to Tramirezmma's point, and that is probably the first thing I should work on

-My leg just don't get through my target and stop too soon, another thing I have to fix

- My coach advocate for no arm swing and think balance actually comes from the fact that the supporting leg is slightly bend. After trying that, I could definitely feel an improvement and don't feel the need to swing the arm.

All of these fixes are somehow throwing off what i'm used to do. The supporting leg bend really help when it comes to balance, but using my arm in a different way is pretty much disturbing and throw off the little technique i had. Some reps are going to be needed

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karish View Post
    I had the time to work on this roundhouse a bit this week, and some things have become more clear :

-I definitely don't turn my shoulders enough according to Tramirezmma's point, and that is probably the first thing I should work on

-My leg just don't get through my target and stop too soon, another thing I have to fix

- My coach advocate for no arm swing and think balance actually comes from the fact that the supporting leg is slightly bend. After trying that, I could definitely feel an improvement and don't feel the need to swing the arm.

All of these fixes are somehow throwing off what i'm used to do. The supporting leg bend really help when it comes to balance, but using my arm in a different way is pretty much disturbing and throw off the little technique i had. Some reps are going to be needed
    For every time you do something wrong, you need about five reps until you completely internalized the new pattern (losing all bad habits/mixes). That's why it is so important having a decent coach from the start.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karish View Post
    Is this somehow your version of "put your hand in front of your opponent to distract him" ? Because adding this detail felt actually great when we did that in the last session

I'm not quite sur if the issue comes from here, since my supporting foot is nearly turned 180 when I kick. On the other hand, a detail I could definitely improve is my knee which should be past the target before unloading the kick. That's something I miss quite often and I haven't manage to fix. Maybe the power issue comes from that?
    Kick as deep as you can. As well as every thing else. So treat the target as being as far away as possible.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Page 2 of 2 First 12