Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Somewhere between a baguettte and a croissant
    Style
    Yoseikan Budo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Swinging the arm and roundhouse kick

Hey guys, I got a question for you
    The circular kick was this month's kicking technique at my school, so we took the time to train it a lot. One thing came up during the training : I swing my arm when I do a full roundhouse, like pretty much every nak muay in the world. And the guys who were teaching class this day (the main instructor was not here) told me not to do that, because if my partner happen to catch my leg, my swinging arm will not protect me and I will eat a punch, which kinda make sense.

BUT

I really feel like I loose a lot of power if I don't swing my arm. I'm about 65 kg for 1.77m (understand : neither tall nor strong) so every bit of power generation is really valuable to me. How about just using the non-swinging arm to protect my face?

I decided to swing my arm because I saw every single nak muay doing this, and felt the result instantly when hitting the bag. Is there a muay thai thing that makes this a good idea that would not translate well into other rulesets? Yoseikan Budo ruleset is basically MMA minus ground and pound.

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karish View Post
    Hey guys, I got a question for you
    The circular kick was this month's kicking technique at my school, so we took the time to train it a lot. One thing came up during the training : I swing my arm when I do a full roundhouse, like pretty much every nak muay in the world. And the guys who were teaching class this day (the main instructor was not here) told me not to do that, because if my partner happen to catch my leg, my swinging arm will not protect me and I will eat a punch, which kinda make sense.

BUT

I really feel like I loose a lot of power if I don't swing my arm. I'm about 65 kg for 1.77m (understand : neither tall nor strong) so every bit of power generation is really valuable to me. How about just using the non-swinging arm to protect my face?

I decided to swing my arm because I saw every single nak muay doing this, and felt the result instantly when hitting the bag. Is there a muay thai thing that makes this a good idea that would not translate well into other rulesets? Yoseikan Budo ruleset is basically MMA minus ground and pound.
    Swinging the arm doesn't really effect your power positively, if anything, it keeps you from opening your hips all the way up. Also, as your coach pointed out, it pulls your shoulder away from your chin and leaves you open to a counter. People who drop the arm either aren't worried about the counter, are tired, or are improperly trained in that particular area.

If you feel like not swinging the arm is holding back your kicking power (I used to as well) I recommend trying this:

If you are throwing a right kick, reach your right arm along with the kick and touch the corresponding side of the bag whilst kicking. To clarify, if you were kicking an opponent you would touch their right shoulder with your right hand, while landing the right kick. I think you'll find there is no power difference once you are comfortable, and it keeps your chin covered. Once you are ok with this movement, you can stop exaggerating with your arm and just bring it along for the ride in a guard position instead of reaching.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe in swinging the arm. It actually does help you engage the hip if you do it right, and having it opened will let you swing into a punch if there's a kick catch. I don't think not swinging the arm actually keeps you protected as much as the don't-swing advocates say it does.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It helps people balance more than anything.
    If you are not getting follow through power you need to open your hip more, and that has nothing to do with your arm.
    Check the support leg/foot.

Style
    Yoseikan Budo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    If you are throwing a right kick, reach your right arm along with the kick and touch the corresponding side of the bag whilst kicking. To clarify, if you were kicking an opponent you would touch their right shoulder with your right hand, while landing the right kick. I think you'll find there is no power difference once you are comfortable, and it keeps your chin covered. Once you are ok with this movement, you can stop exaggerating with your arm and just bring it along for the ride in a guard position instead of reaching.
    Is this somehow your version of "put your hand in front of your opponent to distract him" ? Because adding this detail felt actually great when we did that in the last session

Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    It helps people balance more than anything.
    If you are not getting follow through power you need to open your hip more, and that has nothing to do with your arm.
    Check the support leg/foot.
    I'm not quite sur if the issue comes from here, since my supporting foot is nearly turned 180° when I kick. On the other hand, a detail I could definitely improve is my knee which should be past the target before unloading the kick. That's something I miss quite often and I haven't manage to fix. Maybe the power issue comes from that?

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karish View Post

I'm not quite sur if the issue comes from here, since my supporting foot is nearly turned 180° when I kick. On the other hand, a detail I could definitely improve is my knee which should be past the target before unloading the kick. That's something I miss quite often and I haven't manage to fix. Maybe the power issue comes from that?

The process of elimination is good. Keep thinking like that.
    Two easy tools:
    1 Break down/train the individual movements and add them together in a sequence.
    2 Video yourself and be critical. You're probably way more of a spaz than you think!

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It can be a distraction, but no that wasn't the point. Just training the body by exaggerating the movement. Ideally, you'll end up keeping your hand by your face.

You indicated you were throwing Thai style kicks, right? Why would your knee be past your opponent? Are you chambering?

Style
    Yoseikan Budo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    You indicated you were throwing Thai style kicks, right? Why would your knee be past your opponent? Are you chambering?
    Yes, there's a small chamber (less than 45°degrees), and when i say my knee is past my target, I mean just by a few inches. It is not to the opposite side of the kick like a roundkick which is a different technique. Everytime I have managed to get my knee a little further than the spot where I was kicking, I could feel a huge power improvement

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My two cents:

I also was taught to NOT swing the arm while roundhousing (in Nippon Kempo that is a karate-ish thing), and also to kick "through" the bag, but once a Muay Thai instructor told me that swinging the arm is better.
    Also, at times I tried to explain the basic of roundhouse to some lower belts and ended up with an explanation similar of that of Tramirezmma.
    My personal explanation is this:

1) when you throw a roundhouse, there is a moment when your upper body stops, and you use the abdominal muscles to accelerate the hips and the leg. The torso act as the "still part" (because of its inertia) whereas the hips act as the moving part.

2) swinging the arm adds some counter-rotation to the torso, thus it's easier for the abdominal muscles to accelerate the hips and add power to the kick.

3) If you contract your abdominal muscles too soon, tough, you stop the torso too soon, so that it becomes difficult for the hips to complete the rotation and "move through" the bag.

4) If you contract the abs once your torso is fully rotated, so that (for a right kick) your right shoulder is pointing to the bag, you won't have a full arm swing, although you will still have that sort of "sudden stom" feeling. I think this is what Tramirezmma is advising.
    The movement of the right arm is just to get used to rotate your torso before the abdominal contraction.

Please note that I suck at kicking and most of my kicking experience is against the bag.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

/thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last