Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pluto's replacement

Don't know how we missed this, but consensus is building for a new ninth planet in our solar system. The following image indicates the likely orbit, in yellow, with respect to several objects (including, I believe, Eris and Pluto) which reside in the Kuiper belt.

According to a press release NASA dropped last month, there are now 5 distinct "lines of evidence," for this thing. It's likely to be a gas giant, probably an order of magnitude more massive than earth. So, why haven't we seen it? Well, simply, it's so far from our sun that it doesn't reflect enough light for us to detect it visually, unless we can pinpoint its exact location, and use a big enough telescope. And, it's moving very, very slow, with respect to our position, so even when we do detect it, it's going to take some time to observe it "moving."

A little background, which makes this potential discovery much more interesting. Way back when Pluto was still a planet, a particular astronomer named Mike Brown (the self-proclaimed Pluto Killer) discovered Eris, and many other TNOs (objects with trans-Neptunian orbits, with respect to the sun). In laymen's terms, he's probably the foremost expert on Kuiper Belt objects. Discovery of Eris led to a campaign to reclassify Pluto, or more appropriately, a scientific discussion about fixing the definition of the term "planet," and we all pretty much know how that worked out.

In early 2016, Brown co-authored a paper which postulated the existence of another, much larger object orbiting the sun. In this paper were detailed three phenomena that could "only," be explained by the existence of this hypothetical object. Nice primer video, below.

In the intervening 18 months, another 2 phenomena have been explained by the elusive planet. Brown and his cohorts at Caltech are actively searching for the planet, now. NASA has I guess decided recently to give some serious credence to the idea, with the above-linked press release.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Planet X, bitches!

Well, planet IX, I suppose.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Planet X, bitches!

Well, planet IX, I suppose.
    Many machines on Ix. New machines. Better than those on Richese.

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll try and dig out the paper but not everyone in the scientific community agree with him on this.

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In fact in the press release NASA mentions:"Other scientists offer a different possible explanation for the Planet Nine evidence cited by Batygin. A recent analysis based on a sky mapping project called the Outer Solar System Origins Survey, which discovered more than 800 new "trans-Neptunian objects," suggests that the evidence also could be consistent with a random distribution of such objects. Still, the analysis, from a team led by Cory Shankman of the University of Victoria, could not rule out Planet Nine."If true, then it's pretty exciting.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    I'll try and dig out the paper but not everyone in the scientific community agree with him on this.
    The scientific community is always going to make you support your findings. They aren't in the business of writing clickbait headlines, they're trying to explain our universe.

DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come on guys, there is only on Pluto...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Come on guys, there is only on Pluto...
    Know why Pluto divorced his wife?

She was fucking Goofy.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Know why Pluto divorced his wife?

She was fucking Goofy.
    ]

That's some kinky stuff...

Pluto is a dog, Goofy is a human that looks like a dog. Goofy was married...

Here is Pluto's GF...Minnie's dog.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    ]

That's some kinky stuff...

Pluto is a dog, Goofy is a human that looks like a dog. Goofy was married...

Here is Pluto's GF...Minnie's dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last