Page 3 of 3 First 123
    Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    It's simply not metabolic waste, period
    You'll find lots of bullshit online, but the Cori cycle is well established and there is no debate about it.
    Lactate levels are back to normal shortly after exercise anyhow.

Ice doesn't increase circulation either.
    It *might increase your heartrate but vasoconstriction naturally *impedes bloodflow.

It's also fallen out of favor quote a bit by those in the know, including the guy who invented "RICE."
    It helps with pain somewhat but that's about it.

http://www.drmirkin.com/fitness/why-...-recovery.html
    I recall some recent confusion in my personal life over whether to heat or cool, as a treatment. Oh, yes. I had a sty. My PC recommended icing it with the back of a spoon. Certainly reduced the swelling, temporarily, but didn't remove the sty. I coincidentally saw a dermatologist about the same time, he said use a really hot washcloth compress. With the frozen spoon, thing kept coming back. So, I tried the hot compress, and the sty went away (i.e. it released and drained naturally (I was careful not to rub squeeze or aggravate it)). Completely unscientific, because no control, etc., but anecdotally, heat seemed to be the proper play. May not have bearing on this particular convo, I bow to CPF's superior experience, but if one was to ask my opinion, heat therapy is the bomb.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I recall some recent confusion in my personal life over whether to heat or cool, as a treatment. Oh, yes. I had a sty. My PC recommended icing it with the back of a spoon. Certainly reduced the swelling, temporarily, but didn't remove the sty. I coincidentally saw a dermatologist about the same time, he said use a really hot washcloth compress. With the frozen spoon, thing kept coming back. So, I tried the hot compress, and the sty went away (i.e. it released and drained naturally (I was careful not to rub squeeze or aggravate it)). Completely unscientific, because no control, etc., but anecdotally, heat seemed to be the proper play. May not have bearing on this particular convo, I bow to CPF's superior experience, but if one was to ask my opinion, heat therapy is the bomb.

What you're describing makes sense and is exactly what Dr Mirkin is talking about.
    The cold and pressure of the spoon will force out a little fluid but it impedes continual flow, so that's why fluid comes back once the lymph vessels regain volume.
    Keeping it warm keeps flow unimpeded.
    Ice often feels good of course.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    What you're describing makes sense and is exactly what Dr Mirkin is talking about.
    The cold and pressure of the spoon will force out a little fluid but it impedes continual flow, so that's why fluid comes back once the lymph vessels regain volume.
    Keeping it warm keeps flow unimpeded.
    Ice often feels good of course.
    I should mention that I spent about a month trying the ice spoon thing, and only 2 days with the hot compress. Again, totally unscientific; but, worse, I was pitted with one doctor opinion vs. another, and I initially chose the one that I perceived as less quack. In hindsight, ridiculous on my part. Of course a skin guy will know how to treat skin problems, that's why he was driving a Bentley and had a huge practice in a building that was purpose-built, while my PC was driving a Toyota and practicing in a building that looked like it should be condemned. There's another lesson or three in there, I think...

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing is better than steroids.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I should mention that I spent about a month trying the ice spoon thing, and only 2 days with the hot compress. Again, totally unscientific; but, worse, I was pitted with one doctor opinion vs. another, and I initially chose the one that I perceived as less quack. In hindsight, ridiculous on my part. Of course a skin guy will know how to treat skin problems, that's why he was driving a Bentley and had a huge practice in a building that was purpose-built, while my PC was driving a Toyota and practicing in a building that looked like it should be condemned. There's another lesson or three in there, I think...

It also confirms my current biases so it's obviously true!

Style
    Pumping iron
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Nothing is better than steroids.
    Ham steaks!
    go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Page 3 of 3 First 123