Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Better than steroids, but legal

I came across this, and normally I would think it is BS, but considering that Stanford University is saying it, it seems to pass the initial sniff test to me.
    The rapid thermal exchange device, nicknamed ‘the glove,’ creates a vacuum to draw blood to the surface of the palms. Cold circulating water cools the blood, which returns to the heart and rapidly lowers the body’s core temperature.

“Equal to or substantially better than steroids … and it’s not illegal.”

This is the sort of claim you see in spam email subject lines, not in discussions of mammalian thermoregulation. Even the man making the statement, Stanford biology researcher Dennis Grahn, seems bemused. “We really stumbled on this by accident,” he said. “We wanted to get a model for studying heat dissipation.”

But for more than a decade now, Grahn and biology Professor H. Craig Heller have been pursuing a serendipitous find: by taking advantage of specialized heat-transfer veins in the palms of hands, they can rapidly cool athletes’ core temperatures – and dramatically improve exercise recovery and performance.
    https://news.stanford.edu/2012/08/29...search-082912/

The article goes into greater detail. Honestly as someone who likes to push the edge of over-training but does it clean, I find this very exciting.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "better than steroids"? "Not illegal"?

Are you mad?

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's like saying running shoes are better than steroids. Apples and oranges.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The version of the device that will be made available commercially is still being tweaked, but the researchers see applications for heat extraction in areas more important than a simple performance boost. Hyperthermia and heat stress don’t just lead to fatigue – they can become medical emergencies.

“And every year we hear stories about high school athletes beginning football practice in August in hot places in the country, and there are deaths due to hyperthermia,” said Heller. “There’s no reason why that should occur.”

Craig Heller and Dennis Grahn have personal financial interests in the company that is developing the cooling glove as a commercial product.
    uhhh...

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    That's like saying running shoes are better than steroids. Apples and oranges.
    Not really. Anabolics primarily reduce recovery time, and thus increase ones ability to train and adapt more. At least in athletes that are trying to avoid doping checks. So what they've done, if the claims in the article can be believed, is created a device that reproduces that type of recovery, and thus ability to increase training volume.
    Take this video for example as to why PED tests in IBJJF are a joke:

On account of this being "clean" you wouldn't have to cycle off and reduce training schedule in the month before competition. You could straight up continue until competition.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sniff test fail.
    Cursory google fail:

...one can trace this repetitious enthusiasm for the cooling glove—for this "new" invention—all the way back to 2002, when the BBC reported on its amazing effects and the New York Times called it one of the year's best ideas. Heller and Grahn's startup firm—a company called AVAcore Technologies—had just released the first commercial version of their device, a $3,000, water-cooled vacuum bubble with a battery, and announced that the San Francisco 49ers were using it in practice. But the idea dates back further: The professors founded AVAcore in 2000, around the time they filed for a patent, and they were tinkering with the concept for many years before that, too.
    Get Future Tense in your inbox.

All of which makes you wonder. It's been at least 15 years since these guys started building prototypes and a decade since their product first hit the market. So why is the magic glove still getting play? And does it really work?

So why don't Grahn and Heller run their own versions of this test and see how their device stacks up against some other forms of cooling? Could it be they'd get the same performance-enhancing effect—better than steroids, totally safe—from dunking someone's hand in a bucket of water? "If you can find the right temperature for the water," says Grahn, "if you can do this, that, and the other thing—then yes, you can make it work. I won't argue with that. … But we're making a very efficient, portable bucket."

After a decade's worth of recycled data and overheated coverage, there's no sign that Grahn and Heller's $3,000 bucket has changed the face of professional sports, nor that it ever will. Sure, magic gloves are nice, but it might be time to splash some water on the hype.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...orkout_.2.html

Swimmers are out of luck I suppose!

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Sniff test fail.
    Cursory google fail:

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...orkout_.2.html

Swimmers are out of luck I suppose!
    Dammit... I fell for bullshit.
    Well, at least they got Stanford University too, that makes me feel a bit better about it.
    My guess with swimmers is that the water wouldn't be the right temperature or something.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But what does it do for my penis size?

Style
    Cardio
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    But what does it do for my penis size?
    It'll have contradictory effects. The enlarging process due to vacuum but it's also being surrounded by cold water. Penises and cold, historically, do not go well together.
    There is an episode of Brainiac (part comedy, part science program with Richard Hammond) where they test this device in the desert. Can't find the video right now but I'll keep looking for another 2 minutes.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't a vacuum bubble over the head and neck work better? All those veins in your head and face. Think a water cooled vacuum helmet. I bet it would pull the blackheads out your face too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last