Page 5 of 5 First 12345
    Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    'A jury is made up of 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty'.
    Big LOL. My last stint in jury duty I tried to avoid it by admitting to having been charged in the past for some of the same as the defendant.

Both sides wanted my ass on the jury.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    In legalese, testifying as an "expert witness," means only that you know more than the people you're speaking to; the epithet doesn't really have a minimum barrier to entry. I say this, begrudgingly, having testified as an expert witness in multiple cases.

(edit)
    Let me qualify that. I was absolutely a subject matter expert on the stuff I was asked to testify about, as I had pioneered some of the stuff I was being asked to testify about. I was just astounded that it was as simple as having a lawyer draw up a CV-lite that says "You're an expert." I'm sure it gets abused frequently.
    Gorka wouldn't stand a chance as an "expert witness". Don't make me laugh. Expert at what, crying on FOX?

Don't bring yourself down to his level.

I'm sure you can pass a Daubert test.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm way smarter than you.

The judge wouldn't let me out of grand jury service, specifically because I'm smarter than you. He was smarter than me.

Have you ever even served the people, bro?

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    Big LOL. My last stint in jury duty I tried to avoid it by admitting to having been charged in the past for some of the same as the defendant.

Both sides wanted my ass on the jury.
    I want your ass on a jury.

Stalking, was it? Something some Bullshidoka claimed about you, right? I've been gone a while.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried everything I could do to get on a jury just to get out of work for a while. Nope, got booted off almost every time. The one time I got on one was for an armed robbery and the asshole plead out before the trial started and I had to go home. Bummer.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Don't guess. There were plenty of Latinos and black people at that concert. It's Vegas, dude, not Idaho.
    Well, then, he was an equal opportunity mass-murderer, no racism involved.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    In legalese, testifying as an "expert witness," means only that you know more than the people you're speaking to; the epithet doesn't really have a minimum barrier to entry. I say this, begrudgingly, having testified as an expert witness in multiple cases.

(edit)
    Let me qualify that. I was absolutely a subject matter expert on the stuff I was asked to testify about, as I had pioneered some of the stuff I was being asked to testify about. I was just astounded that it was as simple as having a lawyer draw up a CV-lite that says "You're an expert." I'm sure it gets abused frequently.
    I've seen multiple hearings contesting expert-witness claims by counsel. Most state rules of court procedure have rules regarding what is allowed or not.

The jury has to sort out the evidence, regardless.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Winning is so much better with sore losers Join us... or die
    Style
    boxing, gjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I tried everything I could do to get on a jury just to get out of work for a while. Nope, got booted off almost every time. The one time I got on one was for an armed robbery and the asshole plead out before the trial started and I had to go home. Bummer.
    When I was younger I really wanted to be on one for the experience and because I consider it our civic duty and an important part of our nation's laws.

I got called once in my early 20s, and went in only to be released right off the bat.

I was recently called again, but was cut in the 1st cut again.

I had an old boss who'd served on like 3 of them.
    A succubus is a Lilin-demon in female form, or supernatural entity in folklore that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or mental state, or even in death.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Cops, lawyers, and judges often express the desire to be on a jury IME.

Depending on the type of trial, they can be very interesting, or incredibly boring.

Page 5 of 5 First 12345