Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Koch study says lefties, minorities think differently than everyone else

Oh, good, I got your attention.

Cato published this study, today. And, while much of it seems self-evident, there are some interesting bits, some jaw-droppers, and some heartening things.

Some take-aways (I'm not done reading the whole piece, yet):
    1. Most of us think hate speech is repugnant (79%)
    2. Most of us think hate speech is difficult to define (from a legal perspective) (82%)
    3. Most of us think political correctness is out of control (~70%)
    4. Independents are more closely aligned with the right, on many of these issues

Quote Originally Posted by TFA
    A majority (58%) of African Americans believe that a person called out for racism or sexism usually deserves it, while 41% think that such labels are often used to avoid discussion. Whites (66%) and Latinos (55%) are 14-25 points more likely to believe these labels are primarily used to suppress debate.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Oh, good, I got your attention.

Cato published this study, today. And, while much of it seems self-evident, there are some interesting bits, some jaw-droppers, and some heartening things.

Some take-aways (I'm not done reading the whole piece, yet):
    1. Most of us think hate speech is repugnant (79%)
    2. Most of us think hate speech is difficult to define (from a legal perspective) (82%)
    3. Most of us think political correctness is out of control (~70%)
    4. Independents are more closely aligned with the right, on many of these issues
    So I'll bite:

just skimming it, it seems to me that the study is tailor made to work with right leaning ideas. For example take this:

Quote Originally Posted by the study
    However, when asked about specific speakers, about half of Americans with college experience think a wide variety should not be allowed to speak at their college:

A speaker who says that all white people are racist (51%)
    A speaker who says Muslims shouldn’t be allowed to come to the U.S. (50%)
    A speaker who says that transgender people have a mental disorder (50%)
    A speaker who publicly criticizes and disrespects the police (49%)
    A speaker who says all Christians are backward and brainwashed (49%)
    A speaker who says the average IQ of whites and Asians is higher than African Americans and Hispanics (48%)
    A speaker who says the police are justified in stopping African Americans at higher rates than other groups (48%)
    A speaker who says all illegal immigrants should be deported (41%)
    A speaker who says men on average are better at math than women (40%)

Excluding a speaker who would disrespect police, Democrats are about 15 to 30 points more likely than Republicans to say each of these speakers should not be allowed to speak.
    Obviously most of these supposed speakers would be right leaning, probably alt-right, so it's obvious that Dems are more opposed to them than Reps. Republicans will obviously place more weight on the "violations of free speech" that are more likely to be targeted on them. However there are no questions whether, for example, a speaker that says that a former USA president committed crimes against humanity by starting a war on false premises, or that it's ok to boycott the USA military because historically it propped up right leaning dictators, or that Israel is an apartheid state and so Jews/Israelis/the state of Israel is/are like nazi should be allowed to speak on campuses.

Those are views that are more associated with the left of fringe left positions, and thus I think it's more likely that Reps would oppose them than Dems. However as the study apparently targeted only what right leaners feel as violations of free speech, obviously Dems are more likely to accept them as just.

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do ideas have to be right or left why can’t we go back to the good old days of good ones and bad ones ?
    King without a crown

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    Why do ideas have to be right or left why can’t we go back to the good old days of good ones and bad ones ?
    Back in the old times, the guelphs had all the good ideas, but the ghibellines used their great media apparatus to fool good people into their heretic theories, as proven in the famous study "what's the matter with Arezzo".

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Studies show that psychological studies dividing participants by political affiliation are a pile of fagwank and generally designed to produce specific desired results for political reasons.

Source: Shawarma et al, 2017.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do ideas have to be right or left why canít we go back to the good old days of good ones and bad ones ?
    Not American, are you?

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Not American, are you?
    No I am from the Independent Nation of England ruler of the Great British Empire.

We as the oldest western democracy have evolved beyond supporting political parties like football teams.

Sadly however we have yet to evolve beyond supporting football teams with such primitive ferocity that we treat neighbouring teams like invading villagers trying to steal our cattle and deflower our virgins.
    King without a crown

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I am from the Independent Nation of England ruler of the Great British Empire.

We as the oldest western democracy have evolved beyond supporting political parties like football teams.

Sadly however we have yet to evolve beyond supporting football teams with such primitive ferocity that we treat neighbouring teams like invading villagers trying to steal our cattle and deflower our virgins.
    There are virgins in the U.K.?
    Cool.
    No wonder people keep trying to invade.

And as far as you guys evolving...
    http://www.cnn.com/.../uk-parliament...s-erin-pkg.cnn

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    There are virgins in the U.K.?
    Cool.
    No wonder people keep trying to invade.

And as far as you guys evolving...
    http://www.cnn.com/.../uk-parliament...s-erin-pkg.cnn
    The Donald has a tendency to bring out the worst in people
    King without a crown

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First of all, the oldest and most sovereign western democracy is the Most Sovereign Republic of San Marino (it says it so even in the name):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marino

and as for the football teams, have you ever heard of the "nika riots"?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nika_riots

Those were times.
    (Yes I put here this comment just because I think that the nika riots are funny).

Page 1 of 2 12 Last