Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Training kids to be beasts

    I have 2 kids. A 10yo girl and an 11 year old boy. I started them out at like ages 7-8 in karate, but it is some wacko local recent brand of karate with no contact. It was like "make little circles in the air with your foot". Kids don't do that well.
    Dropped that crap when they got their Orange belt, and they didn't know anything.

    Next I put them into Japanese Ju Jitsu. This was way better. Mount, guard, arm bar, blocks, chokes. It is decent. Some striking, but no kicking for the most part. If they get you by the wrist or finger you will pay. They are still doing this. The instruction is real. Took a year to advance a belt.

    Evil dad mode turned on. "If you are going to play minecraft all day, you need to work more". Lets learn to kick. Tossed them into twice a week Taekwondo. It is good. They break boards, jump rope like a boxing pro, it's great for kids. And they kick!

    So now they are doing TKD on Mondays and Wednesdays, JJJ on Thursdays, and swim on Saturdays. They've been into decent stuff (not the lame karate) almost 2 years now. They are starting to get scary. I can't grab them anymore unless I'm very careful. The little short suckers can kick me in the head if they want. They always look forward to their training. They get straight A's in school. They are half Asian Filipino if that counts for anything.

    So. Am I making them do too much? I've read stuff about youngsters and joint damage. I'm super proud of them, and I think they are proud of themselves, but I worry a lot about having my kids being so abnormal. The JJJ teacher is weirded out about them also being in Taekwondo, the Taekwondo teacher is weirded out about them being in JJJ. They have gloves and a full size Wavemaster for punching practice which isn't in TKD or JJJ.

    So should I do anything different? What's your opinions?
    - Joe

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    3
    Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it's beneficial as long the little ones dig the training. I wish I had the chance to be a beast from a young age too.

  3. #3
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,786
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLansing View Post
    I have 2 kids. A 10yo girl and an 11 year old boy. I started them out at like ages 7-8 in karate, but it is some wacko local recent brand of karate with no contact. It was like "make little circles in the air with your foot". Kids don't do that well.
    Dropped that crap when they got their Orange belt, and they didn't know anything.

    Next I put them into Japanese Ju Jitsu. This was way better. Mount, guard, arm bar, blocks, chokes. It is decent. Some striking, but no kicking for the most part. If they get you by the wrist or finger you will pay. They are still doing this. The instruction is real. Took a year to advance a belt.

    Evil dad mode turned on. "If you are going to play minecraft all day, you need to work more". Lets learn to kick. Tossed them into twice a week Taekwondo. It is good. They break boards, jump rope like a boxing pro, it's great for kids. And they kick!

    So now they are doing TKD on Mondays and Wednesdays, JJJ on Thursdays, and swim on Saturdays. They've been into decent stuff (not the lame karate) almost 2 years now. They are starting to get scary. I can't grab them anymore unless I'm very careful. The little short suckers can kick me in the head if they want. They always look forward to their training. They get straight A's in school. They are half Asian Filipino if that counts for anything.

    So. Am I making them do too much? I've read stuff about youngsters and joint damage. I'm super proud of them, and I think they are proud of themselves, but I worry a lot about having my kids being so abnormal. The JJJ teacher is weirded out about them also being in Taekwondo, the Taekwondo teacher is weirded out about them being in JJJ. They have gloves and a full size Wavemaster for punching practice which isn't in TKD or JJJ.

    So should I do anything different? What's your opinions?
    - Joe
    Sounds good to me.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #4
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,120
    Style
    judo hiatus
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Straight A's in school and physically active. You're doing it right sounds like.

    If my math is correct they still have two free days for judo and a day of rest (-;

  5. #5
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,786
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do they compete?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #6
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,120
    Style
    judo hiatus
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joe,

    Welcome to the site. Consider hanging out awhile. A thick skin helps.

    Long time lurker or just happen to be passing by?

  7. #7
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,839
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLansing View Post
    I have 2 kids. A 10yo girl and an 11 year old boy. I started them out at like ages 7-8 in karate, but it is some wacko local recent brand of karate with no contact. It was like "make little circles in the air with your foot". Kids don't do that well.
    Dropped that crap when they got their Orange belt, and they didn't know anything.

    Next I put them into Japanese Ju Jitsu. This was way better. Mount, guard, arm bar, blocks, chokes. It is decent. Some striking, but no kicking for the most part. If they get you by the wrist or finger you will pay. They are still doing this. The instruction is real. Took a year to advance a belt.

    Evil dad mode turned on. "If you are going to play minecraft all day, you need to work more". Lets learn to kick. Tossed them into twice a week Taekwondo. It is good. They break boards, jump rope like a boxing pro, it's great for kids. And they kick!

    So now they are doing TKD on Mondays and Wednesdays, JJJ on Thursdays, and swim on Saturdays. They've been into decent stuff (not the lame karate) almost 2 years now. They are starting to get scary. I can't grab them anymore unless I'm very careful. The little short suckers can kick me in the head if they want. They always look forward to their training. They get straight A's in school. They are half Asian Filipino if that counts for anything.

    So. Am I making them do too much? I've read stuff about youngsters and joint damage. I'm super proud of them, and I think they are proud of themselves, but I worry a lot about having my kids being so abnormal. The JJJ teacher is weirded out about them also being in Taekwondo, the Taekwondo teacher is weirded out about them being in JJJ. They have gloves and a full size Wavemaster for punching practice which isn't in TKD or JJJ.

    So should I do anything different? What's your opinions?
    - Joe
    Hey Joe. I am going to send this to YMAS where the discussion is a little less stiff and uptight. I do not think I can answer your post with proper scope and appropriateness in the current environment.

    Basic and Misc. Fighting Technique Discussion --------------->zoooooommmmmm-----------> YMAS
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  8. #8
    Christmas Spirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,839
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLansing View Post
    I have 2 kids. A 10yo girl and an 11 year old boy. I started them out at like ages 7-8 in karate, but it is some wacko local recent brand of karate with no contact. It was like "make little circles in the air with your foot". Kids don't do that well.
    Dropped that crap when they got their Orange belt, and they didn't know anything.

    Next I put them into Japanese Ju Jitsu. This was way better. Mount, guard, arm bar, blocks, chokes. It is decent. Some striking, but no kicking for the most part. If they get you by the wrist or finger you will pay. They are still doing this. The instruction is real. Took a year to advance a belt.

    Evil dad mode turned on. "If you are going to play minecraft all day, you need to work more". Lets learn to kick. Tossed them into twice a week Taekwondo. It is good. They break boards, jump rope like a boxing pro, it's great for kids. And they kick!

    So now they are doing TKD on Mondays and Wednesdays, JJJ on Thursdays, and swim on Saturdays. They've been into decent stuff (not the lame karate) almost 2 years now. They are starting to get scary.
    No they aren't.
    I can't grab them anymore
    Yes you can.
    unless I'm very careful.
    ... what are you trying to do to them ???
    The little short suckers can kick me in the head if they want.
    You need to control the distance and the children in your home. You crash the gate if you see them rearing up to kick you. Straight forward and dump the little brats straight on their asses. You have like 100 lbs + on them dude.
    They always look forward to their training. They get straight A's in school.
    Good on them!
    They are half Asian Filipino if that counts for anything.
    Yes it counts for 79.e43.
    So. Am I making them do too much?
    Why the hell are you asking us? By default I am going to say yes, because you are asking, yes. You demand too much and are an overbearing insufferable helicopter parent.
    I've read stuff about youngsters and joint damage.
    Not good dude. Way too young to be twisting joints.
    I'm super proud of them, and I think they are proud of themselves, but I worry a lot about having my kids being so abnormal.
    You should be proud of them. Around now is when they start to show little bits and pieces of the people they will eventually be. It only gets harder from here on out.
    ... so far the only abnormal stuff I have seen is your word choice and general copy.
    The JJJ teacher is weirded out about them also being in Taekwondo, the Taekwondo teacher is weirded out about them being in JJJ.
    Sounds like a bunch of ... * cough * uninformed people. I mean unless you are just being a demanding ass trying to soak up all your kids free time with activities...
    They have gloves and a full size Wavemaster for punching practice which isn't in TKD or JJJ.
    What kinda pokemon world do you live in? Have you ever been to class with your kids?
    I say this because ... my friend, they do haz punching.
    So should I do anything different? What's your opinions?
    - Joe
    LOL
    6/10
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  9. #9
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,120
    Style
    judo hiatus
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Hey Joe. I am going to send this to YMAS where the discussion is a little less stiff and uptight. I do not think I can answer your post with proper scope and appropriateness in the current environment.

    Basic and Misc. Fighting Technique Discussion --------------->zoooooommmmmm-----------> YMAS
    Good move BFM.

    Joe,

    My wife was adamant that I'd not get our daughters involved in the martial arts. The joke in my family is she's boss 95% of the time. That remaining 5% is not up for discussion. Started the first at age seven and we never looked back. Karate, later focusing on Goju and about 12 started judo. Youngest around eight (judo).

    If their enthusiasm keeps, power to the plan. Do be aware that interest may wain as they get older. Sounds like they're involved and well grounded. Kudos to y'all.

    I tell mine. Your job is to have fun and get the best education possible. Mine is to be the best parent possible to raise you to have your own. In this way we live on. I've not shared this before but offer it as something that's worked well to date.

    Again,

    Welcome and good to see you here.

  10. #10
    hungryjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    5,120
    Style
    judo hiatus
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Move to YMAS? Okay. Everything previously posted I wrote while asleep. OP should admit kids are in ATA and I'm a gullible old fart.

    I seriously told that **** about parenting to mine and it's worked out so far. No arrests and merit scholar + ability for nasty chokes to wannabe back seat rapists.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in