Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    I disagree. Aikido is useless no matter which training method
    alright, you won me back over.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    This topic has been beat to death. Training methods matter more than style, because the basics are really what counts and most effective striking martial arts share the basic concepts of power generation and structural support and balance. TKD, in general, is a mediocre striking art because it varies from the tried and true methods of power generation of boxing, muay thai, savate, kontact karates and kickboxing. It can get the job done, technically, especially against an untrained rube, but tends to fall apart out of an individuals weight class in the streets and against people who actually fight in most any situation.
    Savate kicking mechanics are basically like TKD with shoes.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Savate kicking mechanics are basically like TKD with shoes.
    They definitely tend to commit more, use straight legs without the chamber or snap and generally shoot towards KISS, also their punching mechanics tend to lean more towards boxing instead of chambered reverse punch nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I disagree. Aikido is useless no matter which training method
    I was specifically speaking of striking arts and if you want to split hairs Aikido's biggest issue is its training methods. Technically it is basically just JJJ and fails because of the aversion to physical conflict and training methods not the techniques, in theory many of the techniques are sound.
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrong. It is Japanese jujitsu, meaning little to no groundgame submissions (unlike Judo and BJJ), just useless joint lock fluff and throws. Anybody who did Japanese jujitsu in the 80s will tell you that it has limited to no groundgame submissions. And Aikido is basically watered down Japanese jujitsu.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can someone explain to me why Taekwondo gets so much more **** than traditional Karate styles? The training is equally soft and kid friendly. And let's not go into the absolutely dreadful Karate point fighting.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrong. It is Japanese jujitsu, meaning little to no groundgame submissions (unlike Judo and BJJ), just useless joint lock fluff and throws. Anybody who did Japanese jujitsu in the 80s will tell you that it has limited to no groundgame submissions. And Aikido is basically watered down Japanese jujitsu.
    Wrong. It is training methodology. TKD gets a bad rap from the way it is usually trained. Tag with no head knocking. Doesn't mean all TKD is crap. Just too much.

You ever work with any aikidoka who've solid skills in other martial arts? It's not all crap. Just another tool in the box.
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 11/06/2017 9:09pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have faced a dedicated Aikido guy who I simply lifted up and threw out of the ring. He had absolutely no weapons.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can someone explain to me why Taekwondo gets so much more **** than traditional Karate styles?
    It doesn't.
    The training is equally soft and kid friendly.
    You are correct. 1 and 2 step sparring and compliant slappy tap fests and breaking boards all being complete with a KIA(P)! and armpit chambered reverse punch.
    And let's not go into the absolutely dreadful Karate point fighting.
    Any stop/start light contact game of tag is just a stop/start light contact game of tag. It doesn't matter what flag is flying at the All Ages Asian Themed Daycare Center and LARPing Academy.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol. The sparring rules are kickboxing but maybe that's not a combat sport
    As an ITF blackbelt I would like to disagree with you.

Page 2 of 8 First 123456 ... Last