Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    52
    -2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Bullshidos opinion on ITF TaeKwonDo?

    ITF is the original style of TaeKwonDo. Here are some of the pros and cons as I see them

    + lots of mitts work

    - undue time given to patterns

    + 50/50 training on punching and kicking

    - no real training in head movement

    + cool kicks

    - some kicks need modification in a sparring format (heavy chambering is easily telegraphed) making you train techniques that arent applicable

    + nice conditioning

    - sparring does not allow low kicks

    + sparring allows punches to the face

    - sparring does not allow more than two punches in succession, and only straight punches are permitted.

    What do you guys think about ITF TaeKwonDo?

  2. #2
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,475
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA and Combat Sports Forum: Boxing, UFC, etc. ------> YMAS

    Your content sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    52
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have placed it correctly

  4. #4
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,475
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    I have placed it correctly
    Some random stupid staff member disagreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    52
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol. The sparring rules are kickboxing but maybe that's not a combat sport

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    205
    Style
    MMA,BJJ, Gongkwon Yusul
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is about the style as a whole, correct? Not just its competitive format?

    My impression of ITF taekwondo is that it's even variable than WTF for quality, with some tippy-tappy sparring schools, some full contact. Is this roughly correct?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    52
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends on who you spar in the club. Those with kickboxing background go full swing on the shots, those that are pure ITF tend to throw more push kicks.

    I go full contact to the body with the kickboxers, and semi contact to the face.

    We are taught to drive through the targets in mitts practise though. So the competition rules does not shape our training. Some bad trainers will though, but not the old school ones.

  8. #8
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,475
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    It depends on who you spar in the club. Those with kickboxing background go full swing on the shots, those that are pure ITF tend to throw more push kicks.

    I go full contact to the body with the kickboxers, and semi contact to the face.

    We are taught to drive through the targets in mitts practise though. So the competition rules does not shape our training. Some bad trainers will though, but not the old school ones.
    This topic has been beat to death. Training methods matter more than style, because the basics are really what counts and most effective striking martial arts share the basic concepts of power generation and structural support and balance. TKD, in general, is a mediocre striking art because it varies from the tried and true methods of power generation of boxing, muay thai, savate, kontact karates and kickboxing. It can get the job done, technically, especially against an untrained rube, but tends to fall apart out of an individuals weight class in the streets and against people who actually fight in most any situation.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 11/03/2017 9:59am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  9. #9
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,475
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD is basically korean foot wing chun but light contact limited rule set ( occasionally medium contact and scrappy) based instead of mostly faith based, so it has that going for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    52
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    This topic has been beat to death. Training methods matter more than style, because the basics are really what counts and most effective striking martial arts share the basic concepts of power generation and structural support and balance. TKD, in general, is a mediocre striking art because it varies from the tried and true methods of power generation of boxing, muay thai, savate, kontact karates and kickboxing. It can get the job done, technically, especially against an untrained rube, but tends to fall apart out of an individuals weight class in the streets and against people who actually fight in most any situation.

    I disagree. Aikido is useless no matter which training method

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in