Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Turkish oil wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Koryu Uchinadi - A crock of spit or smth real?

Seems that itīs supposed to be smth like t3h real karate not without modern influences from boxing, kickboxing and "mma" etc

Any ppl around here who would have expierence when it comes to training in this system?

Iīm kind of curious since I noticed they actually have a school very near to where I live...

I watched some videos and considering what I saw, many of them actually reminded me about some "european ju-jutsu" styles where they basically mix striking (kickboxing/karate) with grappling (judo/aikido/some old japanese ju-jutsu styles maybe).

It feels kind of stupid actually that very manny threads etc I find from the web concerni9ng this MA are only or almost only about some trivial history **** and posts on actual training on this style are not that easy to find...?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    uh-huh...

Same vein of stuff I saw in the early '90s coming out of the no-touch knock-out crowd (Dillman, Lake, et al). SEcret grappling moves hidden in kata and all that.

Last edited by BKR; 10/27/2017 5:11pm at .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here you go, Pat McCarthy vs Bill Wallace (exhibition).
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thatís what I love about the kata crowd, show a piece of a kata where they raise the knee and extrapolate an active single leg takedown defense from it...

Oh the humanity!

edit:

After a quick YouTube search Iím convinced Koryu Uchinadi is a combination of karate and hula dancing:

https://youtu.be/r0lKLQVBX2E
    Last edited by BJMills; 10/27/2017 5:30pm at .

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The vids I've seen look better than your average strip mall karate, but that's not saying much.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    After a quick YouTube search I’m convinced Koryu Uchinadi is a combination of karate and hula dancing:

The hips! everything comes from the hips!

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Thatís what I love about the kata crowd, show a piece of a kata where they raise the knee and extrapolate an active single leg takedown defense from it...

Oh the humanity!

edit:

After a quick YouTube search Iím convinced Koryu Uchinadi is a combination of karate and hula dancing:

This does actually look like a quite well-rounded and practical training compared to other (esp. non-Okinawan) styles, although they do not seem to incorporate the takedowns and groundwork into actual sparring (which is a BIIIIIG no-no).

But yeah, the kata is like..."Look, I understood force generation comes from the hips! I show you! Like even more obviously! For the dumbasses not able to see the subtle movement in normal kata!"

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Falenay View Post

although they do not seem to incorporate the takedowns and groundwork into actual sparring
    I did a short search on youtube and didn't find any "koryu uchinadi sparring" or "koryu uchinadi kumite" video, so I suspect that they don't incorporate sparring at all. I might be wrong.

Style
    Koryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see what the fuss is about. Patrick McCarthy has been pretty clear that he made his own system, based on what he thinks was okinawan fighting systems at ca. the early 20th century, mixing in his experience in Chinese systems and ring experience. Yes it is kata based, but kata in the sense of two person drill. As far as I can tell his students move fairly ok, don't see much sparring though. Never got around trying it myself first hand, regrettably.

The 'trivial history **** ' is actually central to his system. He thinks that contemporary karate has diverged from the 'original okinawan ti', and this is his interpretation. There's not too much on the interwebs indeed, I think that's also because he treats his system as a business.

Try and see? That's what I'd do, if I had the opportunity. A proper training sessoin, not a seminar.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    The hips! everything comes from the hips!
    In all honesty I’d love to know the reasoning behind the hip wiggle. I’m not quite sure how it translates to a single solid rotation which.. if ever there was any use in doing a kata that would be it...

That and aerobic exercise. I knew a karate guy years ago who did all his kata every morning for excercise and it helped him drop a bunch of weight...

I’d rather go running or work a heavy bag but hell it worked for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last