Page 8 of 10 First ... 45678910 Last
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post

That was fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    That is it. No leg guards like we thought tho.
    Sucks to be wrong but it is nice to know Kintanon is still competing (see his youtube channel).
    Whiteshark looks like so much fun spar.
    Kintanon is really active on Reddit at r/bjj and the corresponding discord server. I got to roll with Whiteshark back at the Atlanta Mega-Throwdown, I think we were both blue belts at the time. It was fun

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    They basically clinch every 5 seconds.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    Thank you for proving my point. A journey man in boxing beating a K1 legend - LeBanner. And the second Hoost match was not fixed. Hoost was shaking his head and did not want to continue.
    Boxing is nothing but homosexuals pretending to fight.
    Video evidence.

Funny thing is both of these guys are from Sweden and train in Heuristic's gym. How many times do I have to repeat myself?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like BJJ to me.

Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some interesting points here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0
    I'd tend to say if a kickboxer's boxing really sucks, he'll struggle. But if his boxing is passable, and the boxer is clueless about leg kicks, it would give him the edge.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RynoGreene View Post
    Some interesting points here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0
    I'd tend to say if a kickboxer's boxing really sucks, he'll struggle. But if his boxing is passable, and the boxer is clueless about leg kicks, it would give him the edge.
    Leg kicks is a strange beast. A washed up Ray Mercer had no trouble with low kicks against Musashi, yet other boxers with equally limited preperation for K1 couldn't take more than a few. I wonder if it's a genetic thing. Shannon Briggs said he conditioned his legs for leg kicks in advance but he still couldn't take a second round and had to KO the wrestling bum he fought in K1

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I used to teach combatives, I had about 5 years of kickboxing training and a bunch of CMA. But, I was teaching the kickboxing portion of our Defensive Tactics class. We separate standup from ground work. Anyways I sparred with a guy who was a golden gloves boxer and also boxed in the Army. I did have a decent weight advantage on him, but he was way faster than I was. After about 6 kicks to the legs, he was barely able to walk and I destroyed him. Obviously this is anecdotal but in my experience teaching and sparring, the kickboxers that were competent could hold their own against boxers.

But when I put the students together the boxer destroyed pretty much everyone who didn't have any more than basic kickboxing.

I put my money on kickboxers.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    When I used to teach combatives, I had about 5 years of kickboxing training and a bunch of CMA. But, I was teaching the kickboxing portion of our Defensive Tactics class. We separate standup from ground work. Anyways I sparred with a guy who was a golden gloves boxer and also boxed in the Army. I did have a decent weight advantage on him, but he was way faster than I was. After about 6 kicks to the legs, he was barely able to walk and I destroyed him. Obviously this is anecdotal but in my experience teaching and sparring, the kickboxers that were competent could hold their own against boxers.

But when I put the students together the boxer destroyed pretty much everyone who didn't have any more than basic kickboxing.

I put my money on kickboxers.
    What style of a boxer was he? An aggressive boxer who swarms, equally matched in talent and weight, should get the job done. Boxing in Kickboxing is very basic no matter what level. The very best punchers in K1 are a joke compared to equivalent boxers.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fighter>Training Methodology>Style.

There's your answer.

EDIT: here are some examples.

Floyd Mayweather trained in just about any gym will beat almost anyone he faces.

Average high school athlete training with aliveness in wing chun will satisfy his self defense needs and show up people who train dead patterns in other styles.

Fat slob with a bad shoulder who trains in an elite MMA gym with quality trainers coaches physical therapists orthopedists and champions to spar with will make a name for himself on the local scene, and possibly take some low level pro fights.
    Last edited by omoplatypus; 11/15/2017 10:14pm at .

Page 8 of 10 First ... 45678910 Last