Page 4 of 10 First 12345678 ... Last
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am so sorry guys and gals. I thought I had moved this one to YMAS where it belongs already. I have been wondering why everyone else has been so polite. My bad!

Wrong forum Combat Sports ------------------> YMAS (for the crimes of: beating dead horses and style vs style mental masturbation)
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    They would get their ass handed to them in ANY rule set that allowed full contact face punching.
    WOW. I don't normally join in with the striking threads as I am not a striker, but this statement is so dumb, it should be an entry for this years dumbest post ever 2018.

So, let's start with Anderson Silva, Frankie Edgar, Lyoto Machida, and keep naming top ranked current or former MMA greats that are high level Karate or Tae-Kwon Do guys as their striking base shall we.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AcerTempest View Post
    WOW. I don't normally join in with the striking threads as I am not a striker, but this statement is so dumb, it should be an entry for this years dumbest post ever 2018.

So, let's start with Anderson Silva, Frankie Edgar, Lyoto Machida, and keep naming top ranked current or former MMA greats that are high level Karate or Tae-Kwon Do guys as their striking base shall we.
    See...I knew other people had input. Much better, thank you for following the rules Acer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bullshit, Anderson Silva took TKD classes as a kid and left around green belt (later awarded Black belt Dans for his UFC performances.

Machida is an MMA FIGHTER. He crosstrained heavily.

ETC ETC.

When Kyokushin guys initally entered K1, they had to do their punching training all over again. There was a crisis in the arts popularity in Japan when they got Koed by kickboxers with punches to the face. kickboxers! Boxers would annihilate them.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "When the first Kyokushin champions were sent to fight in the K-1 kickboxing rings, following Mas Oyama’s death, they were tragically defeated, leading to a critical collapse in the popularity of Kyokushin in Japan. The Japanese public no longer believed Kyokushin to be the world’s strongest karate."

"Kancho Royama points out that it is critical that we, in Kyokushin-kan, “reclaim what was lost. As karateka we must develop self-defensive reflexes against hand strikes to the head.”

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    Bullshit, Anderson Silva took TKD classes as a kid and left around green belt (later awarded Black belt Dans for his UFC performances.

Machida is an MMA FIGHTER. He crosstrained heavily.

ETC ETC.

When Kyokushin guys initally entered K1, they had to do their punching training all over again. There was a crisis in the arts popularity in Japan when they got Koed by kickboxers with punches to the face. kickboxers! Boxers would annihilate them.
    Hmm, that must be a different Anderson Silva who was planning to try out for the olympic TKD squad in 2016 and who started training TKD at 7 and got his Black Belt at 18 and who current is a 5th Dan.
    Ok got it.

Now, Machida is an MMA fighter, but his striking base is mainly Karate.
    And I was wrong about Frankie Edgar, it was Benson Henderson I was thinking of.
    Sorry about that. But lets keep going with this game. BFM, I bet you can name some others.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many times do I need to tell you. He recieved an honorary 5th degree black belt for his front kick against Viktor Belfort. He wanted to compete in TKD when the UFC suspended him. His striking base is muay thai, not TKD.

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.ahebrasil.com.br/noticias...odalidade.html

Source for him starting training at 7 and receiving a black-belt at 18.

Where is your source? I know he does a lot of Muay Thai in his fights, but there is a great deal of overlap between the two when fists meet heads.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Machida was almost all karate when he started out. I actually think his game got worse when he started to mix up his style. The only MMA guy I have seen that really looked TKD similar was Cung Le. I know it wasn't specifically his style, but his constant turning back kicks and high roundhouses were similar.

Style
    Judo and HEMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anthony Pettis used a lot of jumping kicks, including this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmesnERwSDw

Page 4 of 10 First 12345678 ... Last