Page 2 of 10 First 123456 ... Last
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    439
    Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    I would like to hear from a boxer, how he felt about it. Any boxers in here?
    I go to a boxe gym once or twice a week (rarely thrice) and I mostly do physical exercises and technical training, I spar very rarely.
    Does it count?

    IMHO: if a boxer and a kickboxer, neither of them a champ, fight each other:

    a) If we are speaking of a no-rules brawl they will likely clinch and end up crappling very soon (specially since the boxer is forced to always close the distance to avoid kicks);
    b) If we are speaking of a fight with some rules, well it depends on the rules, but I suppose that if the rules are close to that of the kickboxer he would be advantaged.

    There are many possible differences in rules above kicks allowed or not: take this example of a match between boxe and savate (that is a form of kickboxing in the end) where kicks were allowed but the boxer dominated, apparently because the savateur was used to a sort of "medium contact" rules:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ht=boxe+savate

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    52
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    American Kickboxing rules had to add 8 kick minimum because boxers entered and dominated. So I disagree that the kickboxer is the favorite in above the waist rules...

    Granted, alot of the original kickboxers were pure Karatekas, but I still say a modern Kickboxer only allowed to kick above the waist, will be get smash ed by a boxer

  3. #13
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    4,639
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    American Kickboxing rules had to add 8 kick minimum because boxers entered and dominated. So I disagree that the kickboxer is the favorite in above the waist rules...

    Granted, alot of the original kickboxers were pure Karatekas, but I still say a modern Kickboxer only allowed to kick above the waist, will be get smash ed by a boxer
    I was thinking about exactly this last night, however, I think the problem was not boxing vs kickboxing, but professional boxers vs karateka of the 70s and 80s. Boxers were, of course, full time professional athletes competing for potential millions, kickboxers were not training or competing on anything like that level. A better contest would have been similar level pro boxers and pro MT fighters.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    52
    -2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai guys are not exactly known for their high kicks . and theyre likely slower kickers (more power though) .. I think an equally skilled hard punching boxer will be the favourite.

    If the boxer is a Mayweather-finesse type boxer, I bet on the Muay Thai guy though in above the waist rules set with no clinch

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    15
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it also depends on the style of training the kickboxer has undertaken. My gym teaches Muay Thai style kickboxing, but a large portion of the teaching also incorporates a lot of punches that are closer to western boxing than traditional kickboxing. So I think it also depends - because it may be possible the kickboxer may know all of the movements the boxer does, plus kicking. In which case logically you would assume the kickboxer would win.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8
    Style
    muay thai, muayboran, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMhzzlEiDMI

    Interesting as this was before my time and an exhibition bout but its Leon Splnks vs Joe Lewis

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    299
    Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the boxer is clueless how to defend them, leg kicks from a mobile kickboxer can end it. But it takes time.

    I watched a fascinating late night fight a hell of a long time ago no idea who the fighers were, but one was Russian 6'7, 260ish, one was a Dutch Trained kickboxer, 6'2ish, 230. Initially the kickboxer tried to box with the bigger guy, and knocked down in the first. Brutal punch, but he recovered and finished the round.

    In round 2, the kickboxer just kept moving, and leg kicking the hell out of the boxer, who had no idea how to check a kick. At first the kickboxer was throwing them conservatively, with a quick retraction, then slipped out.

    By round 4, the kickboxer was just teeing off as hard as he could, and it was brutal. Not even a retraction, but burying the kicks in the boxer's thigh will fully committed penetration. Boxer tried desperately to jump out of the way, but could barely walk.

    A few rounds later, the kickboxer landed one more, boxer went down, and could not get up. He tried like hell, but he was totally dead-legged, and could no longer walk.

    It was an amazing fight, and really impressed upon me the effectiveness of leg kicks.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    52
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob Sapp bullrushed Ernesto Hoost, one of the greatest kickboxers of all time, with wild swinging punches, and beat him twice with the exact same strategy. How on earth would Hoost survive a prime Mike Tyson if he can't handle Sapp? I think K1 fighters are overrated.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    52
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would a Muay Thai club teach punching with Western Boxing stances? You wrote close to Western Boxing.

  10. #20
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sinsinnatti Oh Hi Ho
    Posts
    13,494
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heuristic View Post
    Muay Thai guys are not exactly known for their high kicks . and theyre likely slower kickers (more power though) .. I think an equally skilled hard punching boxer will be the favourite.

    If the boxer is a Mayweather-finesse type boxer, I bet on the Muay Thai guy though in above the waist rules set with no clinch
    You are so fuckin ignorant I don't even know where to begin. How about some Muay Thai?





    Less than four minutes I found 5 videos containing hundreds of high kicks executed, lightning fast, by Muay Thai guys in full contact fights. Stop making an ass out of yourself dude. Muay Thai is known for it excellent punching which is very similar to boxing technique wise and fast powerful kicks from the ankles to the head.

    Most of the reason for their success is their training methods, constant competing and testing, and it not being a bunch of pussies who play at TKD and think they are fighters. They actually fight.

    You have mentioned your transition from ITF TKD to Kickboxing.
    What is your record? Where do you train kickboxing?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 2 of 10 First 123456 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in