Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bigotry to the Left of Me, Bigotry to the Right: Stuck in the Middle with You

I'm going to post this without commentary, other than to say I think Mr. Dershowitz got it right in his commentary.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/...cature-me.html
    Alan Dershowitz: Berkeley’s hard-left stunningly silent over anti-Semitic caricature of me.
    I was recently invited to present the liberal case for Israel at Berkeley. In my remarks I advocated the establishment of a Palestinian state and a negotiated end of the conflict. I encouraged hostile questions from protestors and answered all of them. The audience responded positively to the dialogue. Then immediately after my address, a poster was plastered outside Berkeley Law School with a swastika drawn on my face.

The Dean of Berkeley Law School, Erwin Cherwinsky, sent a letter to the law school community condemning the swastika: “Several of our students expressed their disagreement with him [Dershowitz] and did so in a completely appropriate way that led to discussion and dialogue. I was pleased to hear of how this went, but then shocked to learn of the swastika drawn on a flyer that someone had posted about him.”

and it gets better...

The best response to bigotry is the opposite of censorship: it is exposure and shaming in the court of public opinion. The offensive cartoon should not be removed, as some have suggested. It should be widely circulated along with the names prominently displayed of the anti-Semite who drew it and the bigoted editors who decided to publish it. Every potential employer or admissions officer should ask them to justify their bigotry.

Joel Mayorga is the anti-Semitic cartoonist. Karim Doumar (Editor in Chief and President), Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks (Managing Editor) and Suhauna Hussain (Opinion Editor) head the editorial board that oversaw the decision to publish it. They must be held accountable for their reprehensible actions. I challenge them to justify their bigotry. It will not be enough to hide behind the shield of freedom of speech, because that freedom also entails the right not to publish anti-Semitic expression, if they would refuse to publish other bigoted expression.
    After I submitted a draft of this op-ed to the Daily Cal, the paper tried to censor my piece in a self-serving way by omitting my characterization of the cartoonist as an anti-Semite. As far as I know they did not edit the offending cartoon. Also, the editor claimed that the intent of the cartoon was to expose the “hypocrisy” of my talk. Yet, the newspaper never even reported on the content of my talk and I don’t know whether the cartoonist was even at my talk. The cartoon was clearly based on a stereotype not on the content of my talk.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kyokushin
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ugh, fucked up and foul. It's a fucking swastika, you'd think anti-fa would be all over it.

Berkeley is it's own kinda special though. Plenty of zealotry. Plenty of purity politics and hatred. Plenty of accepting one-sided $100 bills, if ya know what I mean.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
    Ugh, fucked up and foul. It's a fucking swastika, you'd think anti-fa would be all over it.

Berkeley is it's own kinda special though. Plenty of zealotry. Plenty of purity politics and hatred. Plenty of accepting one-sided $100 bills, if ya know what I mean.
    It was probably the Anti-Fa that was behind it, in some twisted idea of "fighting the alt-right" they self justified their usage.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joel Mayorga is the anti-Semitic cartoonist. Karim Doumar (Editor in Chief and President), Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks (Managing Editor) and Suhauna Hussain (Opinion Editor) head the editorial board that oversaw the decision to publish it.
    Bourgeoise kids playing. Durruti would be proud.

Winning is so much better with sore losers Join us... or die
    Style
    boxing, gjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dershowitz has been saying things like this for awhile now. He observed the "the fog of fascism is descending quickly over many American universities" back in 2015.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/11/...rsities-273342
    A succubus is a Lilin-demon in female form, or supernatural entity in folklore that appears in dreams and takes the form of a woman in order to seduce men, usually through sexual activity. Religious traditions hold that repeated sexual activity with a succubus may result in the deterioration of health or mental state, or even in death.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    It was probably the Anti-Fa that was behind it, in some twisted idea of "fighting the alt-right" they self justified their usage.
    It was the children who run the official university newspaper who pulled shenanigans too. Don't know if they run with Antifa or not.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post

No, Ev, Israel IS fascist.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Link to original....comments section is interesting.
    http://www.dailycal.org/2017/10/25/a...ley-hard-left/

The apology and retraction...
    http://www.dailycal.org/2017/10/18/behind-the-scenes/

Letters to the editor regarding
    http://www.dailycal.org/2017/10/27/p...inged-history/
    Last edited by BKR; 10/27/2017 11:41am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    No, Ev, Israel IS fascist.
    That's rather the point of the cartoon as well as the swastika, you know: to suggest that the Israeli government is no better than nazis.

This is, of course, extremely offensive in itself, but it is not anti-semitism. Dershowitz realises this, yet still elects to draw the anti-semitism card. It's a standard tactic for pro-Israeli debaters and is the main reason for the decline in value of said card.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this the cartoon?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last