Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    reading, reading, reading.

Learning and applying new skills is also good

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think as physical fitness is the ability to adapt to (or the fact of having had to adapt to) a broad variety of different stimulus, it is just fair to use this for mental fitness as well.

You would not consider a person "fit" that can lift 150% of her bodyweight, but is gassed after two minutes of moderate exercise, would you?

As a person who has read quite a lot of philosophy, I would say that mental fitness would include having a lot of living experience, i.e. stuff that you experienced and lived with your body, so that you can mentally adapt to it because only then you can identify the situation as meaningful. This is what gives you the mental resilience (just as physical fitness is physical resilience against stimulus).

This includes (not exclusively) knowing many different perspectives, having faced a great variety of bodily and mental obstacles before. It includes creativity. You need imagination and - yes - intelligence for that.

In the end, it is (at least) two-dimensional:

- great variety of physical and mental experience leading to specific frameworks of understanding and coping strategies
    - imagination and intelligence for adapting and coping within an unknown situation, using analogous thinking

You can train both. The first one can even be reading (or talking) about different persons' perspectives (not kidding, philosophy is great for that - as studies in Ireland on school children showed), but has to include actual bodily experience of situations as well. The second one, analogously, can consist of thought experiments, but is meaningless if you never had to actually feel the pressure.
    Last edited by Falenay; 10/28/2017 5:30am at .

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some aspects of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) come to mind with this thread.

Style
    Prying Mantis Kung-f, SBD
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    B
    I
    C
    E
    P

C
    U
    R
    L
    S
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    B
    I
    C
    E
    P

C
    U
    R
    L
    S
    Nope. There will come a time when physical exercise will no longer avail you. The kind of mental thrill you get from lifting is temporary and ephemeral.

Stephen Hawking has been a cripple since before you were born. You can curl weight...he curls time and space with nothing but his mind.

Style
    Judo, Asian fisting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Falenay View Post
    I think as physical fitness is the ability to adapt to (or the fact of having had to adapt to) a broad variety of different stimulus, it is just fair to use this for mental fitness as well.

You would not consider a person "fit" that can lift 150% of her bodyweight, but is gassed after two minutes of moderate exercise, would you?

As a person who has read quite a lot of philosophy, I would say that mental fitness would include having a lot of living experience, i.e. stuff that you experienced and lived with your body, so that you can mentally adapt to it because only then you can identify the situation as meaningful. This is what gives you the mental resilience (just as physical fitness is physical resilience against stimulus).

This includes (not exclusively) knowing many different perspectives, having faced a great variety of bodily and mental obstacles before. It includes creativity. You need imagination and - yes - intelligence for that.

In the end, it is (at least) two-dimensional:

- great variety of physical and mental experience leading to specific frameworks of understanding and coping strategies
    - imagination and intelligence for adapting and coping within an unknown situation, using analogous thinking

You can train both. The first one can even be reading (or talking) about different persons' perspectives (not kidding, philosophy is great for that - as studies in Ireland on school children showed), but has to include actual bodily experience of situations as well. The second one, analogously, can consist of thought experiments, but is meaningless if you never had to actually feel the pressure.
    This actually reminds me of my time in CBT for anxiety and depression. One of the biggest things I was taught and learned was staying in the same bubble might feel safe, but if you want to get out you gradually have to expand the range of your bubble until you no longer need it. One way of doing this was the old adage of 'do something each day that challenges you/scares you.' I found it really helped.

Style
    mt/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like doing research to fill my mind with knowledge. I also like to practice meditation, it's crazy how much more present I am from doing more physical activities and getting out my head.

Breathing and focusing on JUST breathing and emptying your mind works wonders for me, at first it was hard but even my eyes have gained a calm and focus to them. I also like doing stuff like chess and memory games to up my will power and wit. Physical activities like an insane sled push challenge or hike. Maybe skydiving or doing something risky to get you animated and to conquer your fears.

Then we have things we should let go of (which takes strength too) and becoming a better person. So many things we can do to strengthen our character!

I play too many RPG games, lol. (+3 attack)

Last but not least, It's important to rest and do recovery. Massages, stretching, good sex, what ever else is fun too. Sometimes we can take our selves WAY too seriously....

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The 1980s book RED GOLD was about Soviet mental strengthening techniques. You can find probably at a local library.
    Food for thought.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchelltactica View Post
    The 1980s book RED GOLD was about Soviet mental strengthening techniques. You can find probably at a local library.
    Food for thought.
    Copies of that (rare) book are available on Amazon and Ebay, as little as $150-$250. Some sellers charge as much as $1,000, probably because they know how rare it is.

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T.../dp/087477490X

https://www.ebay.com/p/Red-Gold-Peak...rigori/1442045

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boost your levels of vitamin B. Eat plenty of wholegrain cereals, leafy greens, and dairy foods. Vitamin B is essential to brain health.
    Challenge your intellect and memory. Stretch yourself mentally by learning a new language, doing the cryptic crossword or playing chess. This is important for brain health and good for your social life.
    Engage in stimulating conversations. Talk to friends and family about a wide range of topics. This gives your brain an opportunity to explore, examine and enquire. Just like this one. :)

Page 6 of 6 First ... 23456