Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last
  1. #11
    Nutcracker, sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    5,043
    Style
    BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    This would be a good start. I think it's a multi-dimensional measure, which must include at least the following:

    1) Short-term retention of factual information
    2) Reading comprehension
    3) Logic demonstration
    4) Effective communication of ideas
    5) Look-ahead level
    Originally, I thought of this as just an extension of logic, but it is also strategy to achieve a desired result when the interim steps are unknown; so, I think it should have its own ranking within an overall score.

  2. #12
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_strength

    So ability of mind to do mental work, analogous to physical strength? Not sure if anyone believes in telekinesis...
    What is the meaning of strength in physical fitness?
    Sports Definition: the ability to carry out work against a resistance. Strength is the maximal force you can apply against a load. Training to improve muscle strength includes lifting weights or otherwise increasing the resistance against which you work.
    Strength
    Work-In physics, a force is said to do work if, when acting, there is a displacement of the point of application in the direction of the force. For example, when a ball is held above the ground and then dropped, the work done on the ball as it falls is equal to the weight of the ball (a force) multiplied by the distance to the ground (a displacement). Work transfers energy from one place to another or one form to another.
    Power (rate of work)In physics, power is the rate of doing work, the amount of energy transferred per unit time. Having no direction, it is a scalar quantity. In the International System of Units, the unit of power is the joule per second (J/s), known as the watt in honour of James Watt, the eighteenth-century developer of the steam engine. Another common and traditional measure is horsepower (comparing to the power of a horse). Being the rate of work, the equation for power can be written:

    power = work time {\displaystyle {\text{power}}={\frac {\text{work}}{\text{time}}}} {\displaystyle {\text{power}}={\frac {\text{work}}{\text{time}}}}

    The integral of power over time defines the work performed. Because this integral depends on the trajectory of the point of application of the force and torque, this calculation of work is said to be path dependent.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    189
    Style
    Judo and HEMA
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And on a more on topic note,
    Can we look at another possible demonstration of mental strength?
    Ability to concentrate on the task at hand.

    For example, billiards and poker are both mental games that require, more than cognitive ability or even logic and planning, concentration and discipline.

  4. #14
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,437
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    This would be a good start. I think it's a multi-dimensional measure, which must include at least the following:

    1) Short-term retention of factual information
    2) Reading comprehension
    3) Logic demonstration
    4) Effective communication of ideas


    What about fortitude, having a flexible mindset etc?
    Maybe a distinction can be made between such attributes and skillsets like you're describing.

  5. #15
    Nutcracker, sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KAUS
    Posts
    5,043
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    What about fortitude, having a flexible mindset etc?
    Maybe a distinction can be made between such attributes and skillsets like you're describing.
    Sound like reasonable additions. How would you quantify fortitude, though? I can sort of envision a test that would determine open-mindedness, but fortitude seems like the kind of thing that requires a physical challenge, and the subject can't know it's only a test.

  6. #16
    SneakyGoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    327
    Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not much meat to it, but here's an article discussing Mental Fitness from Psychology Today.

    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...mental-fitness

    Quote Originally Posted by Psychology Today
    Indeed, just as stretching, cardio and strength training are the three foundation stones of physical fitness (along with adequate sleep and healthy nutrition, of course) there are also three crucial components of psychological or emotional fitness, namely affirmation, visualization, and relaxation. 
    Perhaps this can allow us to draw further parallels between the components of physical fitness, and their counterparts in mental fitness.
    Last edited by SneakyGoblin; 10/26/2017 1:34pm at . Reason: \ != /
    "I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scares away ghosts, creates for itself goblins--it wants to laugh." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If you are getting scared and short of breathe remind/tell yourself ,"There's no where else in the whole world I choose to be tonight."

  7. #17
    danharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    2,029
    Style
    TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing
    Fu Hung Hsieh remains Fu Hung Hsieh and Kung-tzu Yu remains Kung-tzu Yu.

  8. #18

  9. #19
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good **** folks.

    One of the things I teach recruits for the Army is referred to as "Resiliency" training. It breaks down challenges to what people see as mental toughness, into identifiable problems to address and overcome,

    Instead of just telling people to "suck it up", we give them the tools to recalibrate their thinking about shitty situations so as to overcome them. Because you wouldn't tell someone struggling to bench 315 to just "be stronger", you'd give him (or her) specific technical advice on form and a program to work up to that weight.

  10. #20
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,787
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The brain is an organic, electro-chemical device/machine.
    Most references I find suggest it uses about 20% of energy available to the (human) body.
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-brain-need-s/

    http://knowingneurons.com/2012/12/14/brain-battery/
    Well, that's an interesting comparison of neurons to a thunderstorm...

    That turns out to be about 20 watts or so, depends on overall calorie intake (and I'm guessing the brain doesn't use 20% of every calorie if one over-eats and gets fat).

    Neurons have the voltage...so if you could do something to increase the density of neurons in your brain, that might make it "stronger", in terms of energy (more neurons equals more voltage), so more potential to do "work".
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 2 of 6 First 123456 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in