Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Let's talk about Mental Fitness

No, not Mental Health--like it or not that term is interpreted by the average person to mean that there's something wrong with your head.

What I want to do is approach building Mental Strength the same way you do physical strength; identifying the best 'exercises', 'workout routines', and hell, even 'gyms' as it were. Outside of the run-of-the-mill hucksters, Instagram life coaches, motivational meme regurgitators, and pseudopsychology woo-bags, this doesn't seem to be a topic anyone's really discussing, let alone an actual expert on; whereas there are eleven billion weight lifting and strength forums on the interwebs.

So feel free to list your ideas, or resources you find useful: podcasts, books, etc. Let's see if we can approach this topic the same way we do the other aspects of Health and Fitness: cutting through the bullshit.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well we should start with the basics then right? Read both fiction and nonfiction. Like physical training you can start at any age but the best results are won through time and practice. So start young and make it fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never really found a good resource on mental strength, rather I can use mindsets which give me mental strengths so could arguably be the same thing.

I usually use negatives to drive me, as opposed to positives and I always try and engage these mindsets with questions that invoke shame or fear or pain, like:

'Do you want to be that fat pasty office **** again?'

'Do you want to be the weakest in your team and therefore the biggest liability?'

'If your friend was dying, would you have to leave him behind becouse you can't carry him?'

'If you had to run for your life, do you want to get caught?'

The answer is evidently no every time and by keeping it simple I cannt make excuses for myself to avoid training.

Once I'm up and about and training or half way trough an exercise or anything that involves being physically and mentally ragged out I tend to look at more negatives to keep me moving. One is, I take solace in my friends or colleagues suffering. This isn't as wankerish as it sounds, it just confirms that I'm not the weakest in the group and as people fail or fall away it's almost a mark to judge how well I'm doing. I can't stress how that's to judge my progress, not theirs.

Lastly, if I'm in absolute **** state and wanting to die I think of incredibly harsh emotional images that I purposefully keep out of my minds eye, like my mum fighting cancer or my partner getting severely beaten up by her ex. By unveiling these briefly they give me such a surge of anger I'll fight through and either win/complete the task or utterly cream in. So far it's worked so it's not something I'd use often.

Whilst this all sounds like a bit of a miserable way to train, when it's over it's an incredible feeling of elation, a huge surge of victory that
    eradicates all of the negativity that precedes it.

I'm not sure that it's answers the op exactly but it keeps my mind keen and the phys is just a detail if the brain is up for it.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a puzzles guy. My favorites are logic puzzles, sudoku, and currently nonograms.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Define mental strength. Please.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    what style?
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try to lift things with my mind all the time...

Never works... phrost must be weak minded too.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Well we should start with the basics then right? Read both fiction and nonfiction. Like physical training you can start at any age but the best results are won through time and practice. So start young and make it fun.
    To piggyback on the reading portion, I advocate writing as well. Keep a journal, do a blog, write a book. Just like reading, writing exercises parts of your brain that aid communication, whether it is written or verbal.
    "I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scares away ghosts, creates for itself goblins--it wants to laugh." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If you are getting scared and short of breathe remind/tell yourself ,"There's no where else in the whole world I choose to be tonight."

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would recommend agreeing on some absolutes before starting this discussion. As stated above, what is the definition of mental strength and its relation to working out? Are we assuming that you can make your mind "stronger" by doing things physically or mentally? Are we agreeing that there are things about your mind that you can not significantly change? Like IQ for example. Are you alleging that you can take someone with say a 65 IQ and raise them up to a higher IQ? Leaving adaptive functioning out of that equation.

Are you alleging that you can control hallucinations, rather than be at the mercy of them? Or are you alleging that the person who is experiencing them, isn't really experiencing them?

And I'm assuming you are not talking about behavior modification techniques or medication to control some of these things?

Or are you talking from the standpoint of someone who has a relatively healthy mental state and using techniques to move that into some type of more healthy mental state? Or stronger state (as we have not defined stronger yet).

Like I said, we need to agree on some absolutes first.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Define mental strength. Please.
    This would be a good start. I think it's a multi-dimensional measure, which must include at least the following:

1) Short-term retention of factual information
    2) Reading comprehension
    3) Logic demonstration
    4) Effective communication of ideas

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    This would be a good start. I think it's a multi-dimensional measure, which must include at least the following:

1) Short-term retention of factual information
    2) Reading comprehension
    3) Logic demonstration
    4) Effective communication of ideas
    So then, eat healthy, read in your spare time (actual books not facebook), and post on bullshido (the best exercise for logic demonstration and communicating effectively that I get outside of arguing with my kids and work).
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last