Page 6 of 27 First ... 234567891016 ... Last

Style
    Bjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    funny thing, you know who considers me a jew? nazi skinheads and other antisemites.

do you know that under nazi control i would have been rounded up and sent to the camps for being a jew? do you know who would have shunned me once i was there? the ultra-orthodox.
    Thats because they are itching for a fight and havnt picked a fight with the wrong person who has kicked the living **** out of them. As for the hardliners, they are just elitist snobs who like to pretend they are more hard core than the rest of the casual followers.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well they're bigots because they look down on me (older ones have *literally* spun around and stormed off as soon as i said that my mother wasn't jewish, clearly they feel that i am a *lesser being* and not worthy of conversation with them... they are bigoted against me based on my mother's race.) to them i am *not* worthy of being a jew, and they are quite clear about that fact.

so, they raise the issue by asking me, and then try to make me feel lesser than them when my answer upsets them.

like most bronze age superstitions, the whole matrilineal descent thing made a lot more sense in the bronze age, before modern science. in those days everyone "knew" who the mother was, but the father? could be anyone, right? well now we have DNA testing, and can know who the father is, so that sort of bronze age **** can and should be dropped.
    Are you a mind reader? You claim to know what an entire ethno-religious group thinks and feels based off your perceptions from a limited set of interactions. Sorry you had a bad experience, and that their actions hurt your feelings and upset you. However, there can be any number of very legitimate reasons their actions that have nothing whatsoever to do with you being viewed as inferior. Broad brush painting them as bigots because of a misunderstood interaction is no less bigoted than what you are accusing them of.

they can **** right off with that crap, along with the mormons who "converted" holocaust victims to moronism after death. it's offensive. they should keep their bronze age bullshit to within their cult, or better yet wake up to the world around them and join the 21st century.
    Sorry you don't like the religion. No one is forcing you to keep it. Which is, by the way, a key difference between mormons converting holocaust victims and what these well meaning Rabbis are doing. No one gave the holocaust victims a choice. The Rabbis are inviting Jewish people to partake in Jewish observance. An invitation that they are free to turn down.

Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    As would I.

Abusing the word "bigot" to apologize for ultra-orthodox intolerance is its own form of bigotry, just as anti-Semitism is. "They're not all like that"....well tell that to the people on the receiving end of bigotry. It applies to skinheads and religious hardliners alike.

When the Rabbi claimed my statement about the bigotry and intolerance of the orthodox was "highly bigoted", he was of course, wrong. He meant to use the word "stereotypical", but even then he's missing the point that I was talking about the experiences of my family, and how they have been treated by conservative and orthodox Jews: often poorly and non-inclusive.

He's casually glossing over the fact that as a Gentile in an interfaith marriage, I have personally been subject to a significant amount of Jewish bigotry, even from family members and members of the clergy (of course, I've dealt with Christian bigots in the same way). I was not even permitted to carry my wife's grandfather's coffin for burial, because I was not a member of the tribe. My kids didn't understand, and that stung.
    So, since they won't trangress their deeply held religious beliefs to make you feel included in the way that you want, they are intolerant? What kind of special snowflake are you?

Hey I want to join the local VFW, put on a uniform and march in their parade. Bunch of intolerant bigots they are, for not allowing me, even though I never served in the US military. Sounds quite different when put like that doesn't it? You want to be treated like a Jew, no problem, convert. Otherwise get your head out of your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Luckily, I'm cool like that and it rolls off my back and I work to undo people's hard line attitudes, when I can. Ultimately, a bigoted Gentile would not spend 20+ years assimilating into Jewish life, learning and practicing Judaism and Hebrew in order to raise Jewish sons, as I have.

I'm very fortunate to be a member of a progressive, open, friendly synagogue. When I don the kippot and even kiss the Torah, I feel right at home. My name is מיכאל, after all.

I would not be welcome in many conservative or orthodox synagogues, nor would my wife and children. That's a cold hard fact.
    Depends on how you define welcome. Would you be welcome to sit and pray, listen to the sermon, partake of the communal meal afterwards ect? Yes you absolutely would, I've seen it time and again at numerous Orthodox Synagogues. Would you be welcome to participate in aspects of the service that, by Jewish law, are reserved exclusively for Jews? Nope. I'm sorry you don't like that, but the problem there is your own not theirs. Just like a regular Jew can't take part in the aspects of the service that are religiously reserved for Kohanim or Leviim. Just like the average Catholic cannot administer the various sacraments of their faith. Just like I can't dress up in a military uniform with a chest full of pretty ribbons and march with the VFW during the annual town parade. If you want to be able to participate in those parts of the service, there are religiously accepted paths of admittance, i.e. conversion. The choice to convert or not is your own. Don't get pissy and start slandering people because you don't like the results of your own choice.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    funny thing, you know who considers me a jew? nazi skinheads and other antisemites.

do you know that under nazi control i would have been rounded up and sent to the camps for being a jew? do you know who would have shunned me once i was there? the ultra-orthodox.
    Actually, since you said you are half Jewish and don't consider yourself religious, under the Nuremberg Laws you would have been Mischling ersten Grades(mixed race of the first degree) the "Only partly belongs to the German race and nation; approved to have Reich citizenship"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Laws

Not that I see how Jewish religious belief and religious law should give way to the the laws and ideology of the Nazis, but that is a side point.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Actually, since you said you are half Jewish and don't consider yourself religious, under the Nuremberg Laws you would have been Mischling ersten Grades(mixed race of the first degree) the "Only partly belongs to the German race and nation; approved to have Reich citizenship"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Laws

Not that I see how Jewish religious belief and religious law should give way to the the laws and ideology of the Nazis, but that is a side point.
    so are you saying that half-jewish non-religious jews like me didn't end up in the camps? you quoted the law, but the law, and how it is applied can be *very different things*.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so are you saying that half-jewish non-religious jews like me didn't end up in the camps? you quoted the law, but the law, and how it is applied can be *very different things*.
    I honestly don't know. For various reasons, most notably I start feeling quite bigoted towards German people, I've never spent a lot time or energy on Holocaust Studies. If you have evidence that they did I would be glad to hear it. However, my question still remains, why should Judaism change its religious tenants and religious laws because of Nazi ideology and laws?

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dated a Jewish girl for 2 years. We ended up breaking up for various reasons. But I can tell you, religion did play a significant part of the breakup. It was very cumbersome to go to family holidays that have been a staple of my life, church, and even regular meals. I applaud anyone who is able to overcome those barriers without sacrificing their own beliefs or those of their significant other. It can be a mess. But I ended up coming to the conclusion that I was either going to have to convert(which I wasn't willing) or she was, which I would not put her in the position to do.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Jew fight! Jew fight!

LOL!!!

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought wabbit had a Chinese wife?

Maybe she's Chewish.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I thought wabbit had a Chinese wife?

Maybe she's Chewish.

If he said it in a former post, please link.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    If he said it in a former post, please link.
    I seriously thought he was married to a black Muslimonmic fella ... but it could easily be chinese woman... I have been wrong before and I am not going to look anymore. It feels super creepy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Page 6 of 27 First ... 234567891016 ... Last