Page 4 of 27 First 1234567814 ... Last

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jew fight! Jew fight!

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Judaism, at least all Orthodox branches, of which Hasidim are one, hold by matrilineal descent. Once again you are talking out of your ass.
    ok, so my father is jewish and my mother is not jewish. i consider myself a jew, both culturally and because it forms the largest percentage of my background. i am not religious and i don't think that i *need* to be religious to be a jew.

every jewish holiday these clowns gather that the entrance to the subway and ask anyone they *think* looks jewish "excuse me are you jewish?" which probably seems to them to be a harmless question, and it would be, *if they weren't a bunch of bigots*, because that puts me in a position where i can 1) say "yes", and then they pressure me to join them in prayer, at which point i tell them to **** off, 2) say "yes, but not according to you." or my more favorite "yes, but not according to you assholes." at which point they say "what do you mean???" and then i say, "my mother's a shiksa and you guys are bigoted assholes, **** off!" or 3) i can say "no" which would consist of me denying being jewish, *which i will not do*, not for them and not for a 300 lb nazi skinhead (yes this happened.)

so these assholes put me into a position where to keep my self respect i have to interact with them. regularly.

**** those guys.

as to the "only certain sects make the women wear wigs," those must be the most common sects here in NYC because every hasidic woman i see is wearing a (bad, obvious) wig.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    *if they weren't a bunch of bigots*
    How does belief in matrilineal descent make them bigots exactly? I'm curious as of the three main branches of Judaism, Orthodox, Conservative and Reform only one has an allowance for patrilineal descent and then only under certain circumstances.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Jew fight! Jew fight!

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does belief in matrilineal descent make them bigots exactly? I'm curious as of the three main branches of Judaism, Orthodox, Conservative and Reform only one has an allowance for patrilineal descent and then only under certain circumstances.
    What is being passed on is my question. Is it DNA? RNA? Epigenetic traits? The approval of God?

Once that is answered the question of the bigotry can be answered.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    What is being passed on is my question. Is it DNA? RNA? Epigenetic traits? The approval of God?

Once that is answered the question of the bigotry can be answered.
    Well... being Jewish or not has nothing to do with the approval of God. In fact the code of Jewish law, the Shulhan Arukh, Yoreh Deah 268:2 says that when a person comes and wants to convert we must inform them that they are much more likely to be accepted by God as a non-Jew, for as a non-Jew they must only live an upright life free of the minutiae of Jewish law, whereas as a Jew they are burdened with 613 commandments the violation of which will bring them punishment.

When those Hasidim set themselves up in odd places asking passers by if they are Jewish, and if so trying to get them to do some Jew stuff, it is based on a Kabbalistic belief that was embraced very strongly by the founder of Hasidism that a Jew who was raised without the benefit of proper Jewish education(i.e. they didn't keep Torah because they didn't know any better), who does even a single commandment with pure joy and devotion, would wipe away all their former transgressions, and thus have a better portion in the world to come.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The path to Hell is pathed with good intentions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well they're bigots because they look down on me (older ones have *literally* spun around and stormed off as soon as i said that my mother wasn't jewish, clearly they feel that i am a *lesser being* and not worthy of conversation with them... they are bigoted against me based on my mother's race.) to them i am *not* worthy of being a jew, and they are quite clear about that fact.

so, they raise the issue by asking me, and then try to make me feel lesser than them when my answer upsets them.

like most bronze age superstitions, the whole matrilineal descent thing made a lot more sense in the bronze age, before modern science. in those days everyone "knew" who the mother was, but the father? could be anyone, right? well now we have DNA testing, and can know who the father is, so that sort of bronze age **** can and should be dropped.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When those Hasidim set themselves up in odd places asking passers by if they are Jewish, and if so trying to get them to do some Jew stuff, it is based on a Kabbalistic belief that was embraced very strongly by the founder of Hasidism that a Jew who was raised without the benefit of proper Jewish education(i.e. they didn't keep Torah because they didn't know any better), who does even a single commandment with pure joy and devotion, would wipe away all their former transgressions, and thus have a better portion in the world to come.
    they can **** right off with that crap, along with the mormons who "converted" holocaust victims to moronism after death. it's offensive. they should keep their bronze age bullshit to within their cult, or better yet wake up to the world around them and join the 21st century.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    ok, so my father is jewish and my mother is not jewish. i consider myself a jew, both culturally and because it forms the largest percentage of my background. i am not religious and i don't think that i *need* to be religious to be a jew.
    I think I would call you "culturally jewish", but not a Jew, the same way I'm culturally catholic (as I was raised as such) but I'm not a Catholic anymore since I'm an atheist.
    Maybe "ethnically jewish", if descent is important for you.

If this specific group by "Jew" specifically means a believer in Judaism, they are simply using the word in a different way than you, IMHO.

Page 4 of 27 First 1234567814 ... Last