Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #21
    Ded Moroz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    862
    Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Yes, shodan is valued a lot higher in the USA than in Japan. Korea, I don't know.
    Japan and Korea hold a shodan at about the same level. It's a 1 to 2 year time investment from what I've seen.

  2. #22
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14,376
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every time I've heard news of a child black belt, either in the news or in person, there's always some kind of connotation or comment that they're a competent fighter that adults better not mess with. A black belt may not mean fighting expert to a given martial arts group, but their parents who drive them to practice for years or the demo audience never seemed to get corrected.

  3. #23
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,781
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    Japan and Korea hold a shodan at about the same level. It's a 1 to 2 year time investment from what I've seen.
    5 days per week in Japan with lots of comps for Jr and 1st HS kids.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #24
    Ulsteryank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    348
    Style
    MMA
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw kid blackbelts in Japan as well. The TKD academy I started in did as well, which was ran by a South Korean military vet who would line us up for hygiene inspections examining our finger&toe nails like bootcamp, and wack our knuckles and shins if we got our knowledge wrong ( probably be child abuse now)

    YMCA TKD and Karate schools are probably what we think of stereotypically with child blackbelts and general McDojos. I'd be a fan of junior blackbelts for sure, they are what they are. I also don't think a blackbelt qualifies one to teach either, although that's something one should probably strive for to some extent.

  5. #25
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,218
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    A high school diploma should represent a minimum competency. Just because someone is better than high school doesn't mean that someone who barely passed doesn't have a legit high school diploma.

    Having said that, I don't like the school analogy. A TKD black belt and a BJJ black belt are not anywhere close enough to be analogous to the same general education level, and that is just fine.
    I've seen people who graduate from high school that can't read. You can also get a high school diploma online. The high school diploma requirement from say Florida compared to Mississippi is so varied that they shouldn't even be called the same thing. Then you have some who graduate from High school with credits toward college all the way up to some who have an AA degree when they graduate from high school.

    When I was interviewing people that were applying to a local Law Enforcement academy a high school diploma was required. Then we had to have people take the T.A.B.E. test to find out their high school equivalency and most of them couldn't get into the program because they were not even at 8th grade level.

    I never said it wasn't legit. They met the qualifications put forth by the state. But it's on par with the difference between a black belt from the local baby sitting school vs one that is putting people into the Olympics. The ones getting belts for meeting the basic qualifications are getting them per the criteria but they are not on par with a black belt competing in the Olympics.

    People in my state are constantly fighting to go to better high schools because all schools are not in fact created equally and the diploma you got from an "F" school is not as good as the one you got from an "A" school when you are looking at the education you brought home.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay area, ca
    Posts
    506
    Style
    mt/bjj
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do feel a shot at my soul when I'm talking about combat sports and a random soccer mom equates me to her little timothy.

    Little timothy had a black belt in a random style I've never heard of, lol.

  7. #27
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    4,759
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by big maclol View Post
    I do feel a shot at my soul when I'm talking about combat sports and a random soccer mom equates me to her little timothy.

    Little timothy had a black belt in a random style I've never heard of, lol.
    Your soul probably hurts more when little Timothy ends up kicking your ass.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    480
    Style
    Bjj
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me a black belt really knows the art and has to really know enough to correct non blackbelts. Ive seen many but actually know just a few. The few i do know very legit, should i ever get one myself i doubt i would possess the knowledge they have. This is why i dont like the idea of a kids blackbelt. Its one thing to be able to name and perform a technique, but its the minor details and the functions that cannot be attained without years and years of study. A kid simply has not lived or trained long enough to know this.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    532
    Style
    ninpo nusubito, arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    To me a black belt really knows the art and has to really know enough to correct non blackbelts. Ive seen many but actually know just a few. The few i do know very legit, should i ever get one myself i doubt i would possess the knowledge they have. This is why i dont like the idea of a kids blackbelt. Its one thing to be able to name and perform a technique, but its the minor details and the functions that cannot be attained without years and years of study. A kid simply has not lived or trained long enough to know this.
    For me a black belt is a sign that the person can bang without the other guy holding back (I mean full-on force and effort) and do so effectively and gracefully (what I mean is not getting steamrolled). It's basically what a 'dan' means in the game of go, where the dan-kyu ranking system was adapted from. If he's dan-level/yudansha, no need to give him (a) handicap stone(s).

    Sadly, many blackbelts would probably get KTFO by a belt-less pro boxer who had 5 fights already.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    480
    Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_cart View Post
    For me a black belt is a sign that the person can bang without the other guy holding back (I mean full-on force and effort) and do so effectively and gracefully (what I mean is not getting steamrolled). It's basically what a 'dan' means in the game of go, where the dan-kyu ranking system was adapted from. If he's dan-level/yudansha, no need to give him (a) handicap stone(s).

    Sadly, many blackbelts would probably get KTFO by a belt-less pro boxer who had 5 fights already.
    depends on the art. Bjj bb would be able to defeat the 5 fight boxer in most cases. The reason is most bb do or used to compete and it takes roughly 10 years to get one considering you keep training. The drop out rate is pretty high. Id say kyokushin karate would be another one but im not sure of the current state of their commmunity.

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in