Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The mass media s#!tpost thread fnord

Here, instead of sniping on politics and politicians, we're sniping on news reporting.

This morning, Drudge has a headline "USA DEPLOYS ANOTHER NUKE WARSHIP..." in a box related to DPRK. It links to this Daily Star article with the headline "US sends SECOND nuclear warship and 7,500 marines within strike range of North Korea."

The implication here is that nuclear weapons are standing by off the coast of DPRK. And, that may be true, but the "nuclear," part being referenced is not weaponry. REAGAN and ROOSEVELT are nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. Either reporters don't get that nuclear power is not the same as nuclear weapons, or they are deliberately stating nuclear in an attempt to sway opinion. My money is on the latter, because I guarantee you'll never read "USA DEPLOYS ANOTHER DIESEL WARSHIP," as a headline. Ironically, its the diesel-powered warships - cruisers and destroyers - that are likely to be carrying the nuclear weapons. And, nuclear-powered submarines, of course, but submarine movements are generally only in the press when they bump into a freighter.

(edit: I missed a paragraph)
    Now, look up NCND. It was previously US policy to say "can neither confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear weapons." This lingo changed around mid-2000s to "it is not the policy of the US to deploy nuclear weapons." Nuke watchdogs, like FAS, have marked this shift in verbiage to indicate that US is indeed reducing the number of nukes in the field. Now, we wouldn't put it past Trump to say "we're parking a nuke on your back lawn," but in practice, NOBODY is going to say that to the press. Probably not even Trump. So, the media's use of the word "nuclear," in this story is complete fear-mongering, meant to scare headline-only consumers; what response the scare is meant to elicit is an exercise for you.

Anyways, this thread isn't about nukes: it's about craptastic or misleading reporting. Seek these stories out, post them here. Should be a fun experiment, and eye-opening for everyone.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Here, instead of sniping on politics and politicians, we're sniping on news reporting.

This morning, Drudge has a headline "USA DEPLOYS ANOTHER NUKE WARSHIP..." in a box related to DPRK. It links to this Daily Star article with the headline "US sends SECOND nuclear warship and 7,500 marines within strike range of North Korea."

The implication here is that nuclear weapons are standing by off the coast of DPRK. And, that may be true, but the "nuclear," part being referenced is not weaponry. REAGAN and ROOSEVELT are nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. Either reporters don't get that nuclear power is not the same as nuclear weapons, or they are deliberately stating nuclear in an attempt to sway opinion. My money is on the latter, because I guarantee you'll never read "USA DEPLOYS ANOTHER DIESEL WARSHIP," as a headline. Ironically, its the diesel-powered warships - cruisers and destroyers - that are likely to be carrying the nuclear weapons. And, nuclear-powered submarines, of course, but submarine movements are generally only in the press when they bump into a freighter.

Anyways, this isn't about nukes. This is about craptastic or misleading reporting. Seek these out, post them here. Should be a fun experiment, and eye-opening for everyone.
    We already have nuclear-armed submarines sitting off their Coast I'm sure. You can only flatten the country so much before there's nothing left. I don't think people understand the totality of Destruction that a launch from one of these Subs could do. If we launched too many it would cause a nuclear winter all over the world. Which is the shittiest way to fix global warming I can think of.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Trump Tower meeting wasn't about Clinton 'dirt,' emails show"
    --- Fox news

Reality isn't even close to title.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    "Trump Tower meeting wasn't about Clinton 'dirt,' emails show"
    --- Fox news

Reality isn't even close to title.
    Explain away.

Style
    MMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "US sends SECOND nuclear warship and 7,500 marines within strike range of North Korea."

They didn't spell 'Marines' with a capital M, so that's automatic fake news.

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

(edit: I missed a paragraph)
    Now, look up NCND. It was previously US policy to say "can neither confirm nor deny the presence of nuclear weapons." This lingo changed around mid-2000s to "it is not the policy of the US to deploy nuclear weapons." Nuke watchdogs, like FAS, have marked this shift in verbiage to indicate that US is indeed reducing the number of nukes in the field. Now, we wouldn't put it past Trump to say "we're parking a nuke on your back lawn," but in practice, NOBODY is going to say that to the press. Probably not even Trump. So, the media's use of the word "nuclear," in this story is complete fear-mongering, meant to scare headline-only consumers; what response the scare is meant to elicit is an exercise for you.

Anyways, this thread isn't about nukes: it's about craptastic or misleading reporting. Seek these stories out, post them here. Should be a fun experiment, and eye-opening for everyone.
    Heh. The daily star article even has this as the subtitle:

A NUCLEAR-powered US aircraft carrier with 7,500 seamen on board is expected to join the build-up of warships amassing near North Korea.
    It's not nuclear-powered, it's NUCLEAR-powered. Y'know, in case you weren't alarmed.
    Last edited by SneakyGoblin; 10/11/2017 2:19pm at . Reason: Punctuation
    "I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scares away ghosts, creates for itself goblins--it wants to laugh." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If you are getting scared and short of breathe remind/tell yourself ,"There's no where else in the whole world I choose to be tonight."

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
    It's not nuclear-powered, it's NUCLEAR-powered. Y'know, in case you weren't alarmed.
    Nice catch. Thread title adjusted, accordingly.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Steamship" doesn't have quite the same impact.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you know they don't plan on ramming North Korea with that NUCLEAR-powered ship huh??

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice catch. Thread title adjusted, accordingly.
    I see them! I see the Fnords!
    "I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scares away ghosts, creates for itself goblins--it wants to laugh." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If you are getting scared and short of breathe remind/tell yourself ,"There's no where else in the whole world I choose to be tonight."

Page 1 of 2 12 Last