Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,522
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post

    Also, if their knee isn't high up on and tight to your chest during the inversion then your chances of holding on and completing the kneebar are significantly reduced.
    I like to do a bit of a handstand on my fist grabbing their ankle/pants while inverting.

  2. #12
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    It's pretty common for a strong closed guard fighter to start manipulating people from standing inside their guard.

    When you have a +200lbs dude throwing you around with their legs and using grip breaks on your hands your proper standing process can go to ****.
    I know you are probably on your phone so I'll have to ask for clarification...

    Did you mean, it's pretty common for a strong closed guard fighter to manipulate people to keep them from standing inside their guard?

    I'm familiar with that 200lb dude doing that sort of thing when I try to stand up (shittily, no doubt) in closed guard, and execute the two standing close guard passes I have been taught.

    My 55 year old lower back does not like doing that, or being in closed guard in general.

    Anyway, that's getting OT.

    I'm talking on a larger topic, in a way, of the fact that the kneebar as depicted, in general, although textbook in nature, depends on getting opponent to make a mistake in how he stands up in guard (or stand up at all).

    For example, in a self defense situation, where your assailant is untrained, and is standing to try to punch, slam, or just get away.

    Thanks for your patience with my blue-belt ignorance.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #13
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    General speaking ,no. I would want to be a angled and have good control of at least a wrist or sleeve or I wouldn't stand. I generally don't pass full guard standing unless I am allowed to punch.
    OK, thanks, that makes sense. So really, the opening for the kneebar depicted depends (a lot?) on standing up improperly ?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #14
    Raycetpfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Tampa Fl
    Posts
    5,522
    Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    OK, thanks, that makes sense. So really, the opening for the kneebar depicted depends (a lot?) on standing up improperly ?
    Correct or losing your balance and grips while standing which is quite common. I tease people some times and start doing very fast sit ups from my closed guard when they stand.

  5. #15
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,389
    Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Would you ever stand up in guard like that?
    I don't go for the kneebar when they're standing. I prefer to sweep when they stand. I always went for it when they posture up on their knees high enough for me to go inverted, but only in certain situations.

  6. #16
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Correct or losing your balance and grips while standing which is quite common. I tease people some times and start doing very fast sit ups from my closed guard when they stand.
    I cannot fathom that you would do something like that, Rayce...

    I hate being in closed guard, seriously hate it. I need to do more deadlifts. It's all I can usually do to maintain posture...

    In fact, I think I can do deadlifts without my shoulders grinding, unlike bench, chinups, or pushups. Hmmm...

    Anyway, blue belt blues and all that....
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  7. #17
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I don't go for the kneebar when they're standing. I prefer to sweep when they stand. I always went for it when they posture up on their knees high enough for me to go inverted, but only in certain situations.
    Thanks, I get what you mean. Going inverted is above my pay-grade, LOL, as are kneebars.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #18
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,491
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I hate being in closed guard, seriously hate it. I need to do more deadlifts. It's all I can usually do to maintain posture....
    Have you tried to use tsukkomi jime as a bait.

  9. #19
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,591
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Have you tried to use Tsukikomi Jime as a bait.
    I fixed that for you.

    Bait for what, to get arm-barred or swept ?

    Oh, I get it, judoka commonly will try to do Tsukikomi Jime when in closed guard.

    No, I don't do that.

    I have done Tsukikomi Jime in rolling, though, apparently it's called "dough kneading choke" or something like that in Portuguese, according to my coach.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    1,188
    Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I previously favored hitting this from inverted guard. I use my outside leg and sleeve control to complete the turn. After partially breaking their posture with sleeve control, one thing that increased my success rate was to push them with the back of my outside leg via my hamstring higher up on their torso, like around the lat area instead of lower down by the hip. Is that clear? It's not always that easy to to explain these type of things via text.

    Also, if their knee isn't high up on and tight to your chest during the inversion then your chances of holding on and completing the kneebar are significantly reduced.
    The 2nd part I can picture better than the first.

    Are you talking about the leg that is outside when finishing the kneelock, or when in guard?

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in