Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kneebar from the guard questions

Hi guys!

My third favorite submission is the kneebar, and it's a key part of my submission chains from my full guard and top of half guard. Today, I'm asking about the former.

What are some good tricks to avoid getting your guard passed while beginning to invert and elevate for the knee? What do we look for to trigger the kneebar as a response? I generally look for someone trying to stand when I'm applying a triangle or armlock from bottom.

Should we always wrap both feet around the opponent's leg, or is it ok to leave a foot tucked in to the opponent's upper thigh/hip?

Any other tips, tricks, or best practices to set the kneebar from guard anyone wants to share? Any reasons why you don't like this technique from this position?

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you asking about this one?

Style
    MMA, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post

Yup! I've never cared much about the sleeve or other upper body control when setting this, but that's basically how I do it.

Maybe that's an answer to avoiding a guard pass, keep the sleeve?

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keeping the sleeve helps in breaking opponent's posture and when you release the sleeve you capitalize on opponent's natural reaction.

Anyway, I almost never go for that technique or any other that makes me invert or I feel is an accident waiting to happen for everyone involved so I can't help you with details. When I find myself in similar situations I go for the omoplata sweep or switch to x guard and try to sweep from there.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I previously favored hitting this from inverted guard. I use my outside leg and sleeve control to complete the turn. After partially breaking their posture with sleeve control, one thing that increased my success rate was to push them with the back of my outside leg via my hamstring higher up on their torso, like around the lat area instead of lower down by the hip. Is that clear? It's not always that easy to to explain these type of things via text.

Also, if their knee isn't high up on and tight to your chest during the inversion then your chances of holding on and completing the kneebar are significantly reduced.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So the whole thing looks to me like depends on the guy in your guard standing up incorrectly and exposing himself to sweep or lower body sub...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post

This is pretty text book.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    This is pretty text book.
    Would you ever stand up in guard like that?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    So the whole thing looks to me like depends on the guy in your guard standing up incorrectly and exposing himself to sweep or lower body sub...
    It's pretty common for a strong closed guard fighter to start manipulating people from standing inside their guard.

When you have a +200lbs dude throwing you around with their legs and using grip breaks on your hands your proper standing process can go to ****.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Would you ever stand up in guard like that?
    General speaking ,no. I would want to be a angled and have good control of at least a wrist or sleeve or I wouldnt stand. I generally don't pass full guard standing unless I am allowed to punch.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last