Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last
  1. #1
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,592
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Speaking of Jersey (Black Bears)...

    Bear Hunting in New Jersey has been controversial for quite some time. I've read about it before this time around.
    Unbeknownst to many, New Jersey (and the east coast in general) is not devoid of wildlife, particularly Black Bears and White Tailed Deer, Moose , nd coyotes, and even some wolves and Mountain Lions.
    Wolves are also showing up, and Wapiti (aka Elk) have been reintroduced (there was a now extinct Eastern Elk killed off by settlers).

    Black Bears back east get effing huge, like 700 lbs, which is larger than most Mountain Grizzlies out here (400 lbs is a good sized one), due mostly to the abundance of food (as in agriculture).

    That's a lot of tasty bear fat to render to lard, plus smoked bear hams.

    Activists at New Jersey bear hunt arrested during protest

    http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoor...g-protest.html

    New Jersey’s annual bear hunt only kicked off on Monday morning, and already two protesters have been arrested, officials say.

    Catherine McCartney, 49, and Jerome Mandel, 72, were taken into custody by the officials in Sussex County, N.J., after protesters gathered to denounce the state’s annual bear hunt, NJ.com reports.

    McCartney was arrested after refusing to move out of the way of a hunter’s vehicle. Mandel, too, had reportedly moved from an area where protesting was permitted, and he and McCartney were charged for three identical offenses, including obstructing the administration of law.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  2. #2
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    4,634
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Bear Hunting in New Jersey has been controversial for quite some time. I've read about it before this time around.
    Unbeknownst to many, New Jersey (and the east coast in general) is not devoid of wildlife, particularly Black Bears and White Tailed Deer, Moose , nd coyotes, and even some wolves and Mountain Lions.
    Wolves are also showing up, and Wapiti (aka Elk) have been reintroduced (there was a now extinct Eastern Elk killed off by settlers).

    Black Bears back east get effing huge, like 700 lbs, which is larger than most Mountain Grizzlies out here (400 lbs is a good sized one), due mostly to the abundance of food (as in agriculture).

    That's a lot of tasty bear fat to render to lard, plus smoked bear hams.

    Activists at New Jersey bear hunt arrested during protest

    http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoor...g-protest.html

    New Jersey’s annual bear hunt only kicked off on Monday morning, and already two protesters have been arrested, officials say.

    Catherine McCartney, 49, and Jerome Mandel, 72, were taken into custody by the officials in Sussex County, N.J., after protesters gathered to denounce the state’s annual bear hunt, NJ.com reports.

    McCartney was arrested after refusing to move out of the way of a hunter’s vehicle. Mandel, too, had reportedly moved from an area where protesting was permitted, and he and McCartney were charged for three identical offenses, including obstructing the administration of law.
    Fur is murder!!.........

    But it's sooooo warm.

    Bears hunt people so it's only fair.

  3. #3
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,592
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If those Joisey bears start breaking into pizza joints (or White Castle, heaven forbid), they will lose whatever sympathy they might have garnered...
    3 black bears break into pizza shop, eat salami and dough
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorad...to-pizza-shop/

    Last Updated Oct 10, 2017 12:52 AM EDT

    ESTES PARK, Colo. -- A pizzeria owner in Colorado blames a female black bear and her two cubs for damage to his kitchen -- and he has surveillance video to prove it, CBS Denver reports.

    "It was really fun to come into that one," said Tony Francher, the co-owner of Antonio's Real New York Pizza in Estes Park.

    Francher said the bears broke into a main window on the front of the business. He said they ate pretty lightly, nabbing several trays of dough and a chunk of salami before exiting.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  4. #4
    Bneterasedmynam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    4,634
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    If those Joisey bears start breaking into pizza joints (or White Castle, heaven forbid), they will lose whatever sympathy they might have garnered...
    3 black bears break into pizza shop, eat salami and dough
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorad...to-pizza-shop/

    Last Updated Oct 10, 2017 12:52 AM EDT

    ESTES PARK, Colo. -- A pizzeria owner in Colorado blames a female black bear and her two cubs for damage to his kitchen -- and he has surveillance video to prove it, CBS Denver reports.

    "It was really fun to come into that one," said Tony Francher, the co-owner of Antonio's Real New York Pizza in Estes Park.

    Francher said the bears broke into a main window on the front of the business. He said they ate pretty lightly, nabbing several trays of dough and a chunk of salami before exiting.
    Whitetail deer are the big target in Illinois. There are always people who bitch about the hunting. It's like they would prefer that the deer all get wasting disease or jump through everyone's windows. Fucking hell deer kill more people than any other animal anyway.

  5. #5
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,592
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Whitetail deer are the big target in Illinois. There are always people who bitch about the hunting. It's like they would prefer that the deer all get wasting disease or jump through everyone's windows. Fucking hell deer kill more people than any other animal anyway.
    I know, I know...

    At one point, White Tailed Deer were on the way to extinction in the lower 48. Lots of hungry folks during the Great Depression, plus market hunting.

    Now they are approaching vermin level in some places, and are a public health hazard (getting hit by cars).

    Even up here with the wide open spaces, tons get smacked year round, especially in winter.

    The four of us (two kids, myself and wife-unit) all got "extra doe" tags, so we will reduce the population by 8 deer this season. In fact, the season opened this morning 30 minutes before sunrise.

    I have to work, though. So this weekend we will be out trying mostly for elk. Deer are so easy, we make sure to shoot them near a road so we don't' have drag them out very far.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #6
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    4,641
    Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    If those Joisey bears start breaking into pizza joints (or White Castle, heaven forbid), they will lose whatever sympathy they might have garnered...
    3 black bears break into pizza shop, eat salami and dough
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorad...to-pizza-shop/

    Last Updated Oct 10, 2017 12:52 AM EDT

    ESTES PARK, Colo. -- A pizzeria owner in Colorado blames a female black bear and her two cubs for damage to his kitchen -- and he has surveillance video to prove it, CBS Denver reports.

    "It was really fun to come into that one," said Tony Francher, the co-owner of Antonio's Real New York Pizza in Estes Park.

    Francher said the bears broke into a main window on the front of the business. He said they ate pretty lightly, nabbing several trays of dough and a chunk of salami before exiting.
    Why, that's a nice pic-a-nic basket you have there, Mr. Antonucci. It would be a terrible shame if someone was to smash into your place of business and eat it. Such things are, sadly, quite common in this crazy world we live in. Perhaps, I can be of assistance; for a small fee, I could see to it that your pic-a-nic baskets remain unharmed...
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

  7. #7
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,592
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Why, that's a nice pic-a-nic basket you have there, Mr. Antonucci. It would be a terrible shame if someone was to smash into your place of business and eat it. Such things are, sadly, quite common in this crazy world we live in. Perhaps, I can be of assistance; for a small fee, I could see to it that your pic-a-nic baskets remain unharmed...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  8. #8
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14,357
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does bear meat taste like, and what does one do with bear tallow?

  9. #9
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,592
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    What does bear meat taste like, and what does one do with bear tallow?
    Well, it doesn't taste like chicken...that's for sure.

    Let's assume you get a healthy, decently fed animal that hasn't been eating a lot of fish...up here, they eat a lot of Huckleberries in the autumn, if the crop is decent.

    They taste like bear.

    Seriously, it's a kind of a beefy taste and texture (texture depends on cut of meat too), but not store-bought beef, not pork...maybe more like a cross between the two? It's a red meat, though.

    The fat, which is yummy, does not have a strong flavor. When it's rendered to liquid, and allowed to cool (bear lard), it can be used like pork lard. Makes incredible pie crust, especially any internal fat from abdominal cavity (same with rendered pork fat).

    TLDR, anything you'd use other lard to do, including grease patch for shooting muzzle loader...

    You do have to cook it well done though (not burnt or dried out, just cooked all the way through), because bears tend to carry trichinosis.

    A lot of folks just make smokies out of bear (smaoked sausage), or summer sausage, or salami, etc., using the bear fat instead of adding pork or beef fat. If it's not a fat bear, I prefer to add pork fat. I'll have plenty of pork fat by the end of the year, as our pig is growing by leaps and bounds..

    The meat itself is yummy, though. I've made tacos, grilled steaks, etc. Rolled roasts are also popular, as is making a cured/smoked ham...

    I have not seen a bear yet this season, dammit...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    321
    Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Well, it doesn't taste like chicken...that's for sure.

    Let's assume you get a healthy, decently fed animal that hasn't been eating a lot of fish...up here, they eat a lot of Huckleberries in the autumn, if the crop is decent.

    They taste like bear.

    Seriously, it's a kind of a beefy taste and texture (texture depends on cut of meat too), but not store-bought beef, not pork...maybe more like a cross between the two? It's a red meat, though.

    The fat, which is yummy, does not have a strong flavor. When it's rendered to liquid, and allowed to cool (bear lard), it can be used like pork lard. Makes incredible pie crust, especially any internal fat from abdominal cavity (same with rendered pork fat).

    TLDR, anything you'd use other lard to do, including grease patch for shooting muzzle loader...

    You do have to cook it well done though (not burnt or dried out, just cooked all the way through), because bears tend to carry trichinosis.

    A lot of folks just make smokies out of bear (smaoked sausage), or summer sausage, or salami, etc., using the bear fat instead of adding pork or beef fat. If it's not a fat bear, I prefer to add pork fat. I'll have plenty of pork fat by the end of the year, as our pig is growing by leaps and bounds..

    The meat itself is yummy, though. I've made tacos, grilled steaks, etc. Rolled roasts are also popular, as is making a cured/smoked ham...

    I have not seen a bear yet this season, dammit...
    I am suddenly very hungry.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in