Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    The healthiness of cutting can be measured by the amount of weight lost as a percentage of water in the body (1-10%). Losing 9-10% of your water is typically fatal.

According to what I've read, anything over 1% water weight loss is moving into dehydration and becoming an unhealthy state. Extreme cutting is tantamount to self-dehydration, a potentially life-threatening state once you're just a few percentage points beyond that.

I've done BJJ and Judo, but not HS/college wrestling.

****, they should take that and show it to people who work in construction or on the roads in Florida in the summer. I would lose 10lbs of water all the time from working out in that heat. And it was easy to tell. You just jump on the scale after taking a leak when your pee is dark brown and burns a little. Shower then spend the rest of the night trying to rehydrate before heading to work the next day.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll start with this:

Now beyond that, I've gone, for religious reason, 5 days without food or water during an Israeli summer and never passed out of the moderate level of dehydration. I lost well more than 10%(closer to 20% to be honest) and while I was weak for a few days after, I suffered no long term ill effects(one of the great things about socialized medicine and being able to do things like that under doctor supervision).

I'm sorry but your sources, as Adam Ruins Everything points out, are mostly BS, and so is the false comparison that you are trying to make between a guy who clearly should have missed weight, and people doing normative and healthy weight cuts.

Sure if you are talking putting on a sauna suit and running 30lbs off, that is probably a bad idea for a number of reasons. However, there are lots of healthy ways to cut weight that leave the athlete with more than enough energy come fight day. The US National Wrestling team will actually have their athletes cut under weight by 5-10 lbs, then slowly come up to weight for weigh in and competition.

Look you can put a guy on a 1600 calorie/day zero carb diet, feed him a normative amount of water, and if he is at all in shape, he'll lose 15-20lb in a week. Just the glycogen leaving his body.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    ****, they should take that and show it to people who work in construction or on the roads in Florida in the summer. I would lose 10lbs of water all the time from working out in that heat. And it was easy to tell. You just jump on the scale after taking a leak when your pee is dark brown and burns a little. Shower then spend the rest of the night trying to rehydrate before heading to work the next day.
    10lbs of water weight, or total weight? They aren't the same thing. There's a 60% factor you're not taking into account with your math.

You can't measure how much weight in water you've lost using just a scale, so you pulled that number out of your butt.

Everybody can sweat "a gallon" but let's try to be just a little serious in a thread about the medical stupidity of extreme weight cuttin'.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/12/2017 11:07pm at .

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    10lbs of water weight, or total weight? They aren't the same thing. There's a 60% factor you're not taking into account with your math.

You can't measure how much weight in water you've lost using just a scale, so you pulled that number out of your butt.

Everybody can sweat "a gallon" but let's try to be just a little serious in a thread about the medical stupidity of extreme weight cuttin'.
    **** that math. I never presumed to be arguing all that bullshit. I'm talking realities of life. Those people coming up with all that bullshit are the same ones that are coming up with that bullshit BMI calculator. I've sweat 10lbs of water weight off myself before. If that blows your mind, I don't know what to tell you. go work in 100% humidity when it's 100 degrees outside.

No, I didn't go and some asshole to weigh me and to a tape test or use calipers to test my true weight and all that ****. I just weigh myself regularly, see when it drops 10lbs, go "damn" then chug water for a few hours, then weigh myself afterward and watch the nifty number go up 10lbs.

Now you can get into all kinds of arguments about that, but I hate to tell you, this is about cutting weight. And you can do that all day for weigh ins. And be fine afterward. My whole wrestling team in high school used to do it all season every year. I had a friend run around a building in a sweat suit one time and drop 5lbs in about an hour to make weight.

Now you want debate if it is water weight or total weight, don't know. So I'm not debating that with you.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer gradual weight loss before competition and so do most of my judo team: through a reduction in unneeded calories while continuing to exercise as normal over an extended period of time. Normally starting way in advance of a competition.

Water cutting is something one of my teammates used to do repeatedly and still doesnt understand that sweating out most of his water mass and eating nothing for a week before comp is why his performance utterly sucks and he has no energy and bouts of illness. To him, and people who do this bullshit, weight is weight and thats all that matters.

People who would sacrifice their health in the name of weight categories deserve no praise.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** that math. I never presumed to be arguing all that bullshit. I'm talking realities of life. Those people coming up with all that bullshit are the same ones that are coming up with that bullshit BMI calculator. I've sweat 10lbs of water weight off myself before. If that blows your mind, I don't know what to tell you.
    It doesn't blow my mind, but you made the claim that you've sweat 10lb of water. Are you sure about that? 10 lbs of water weight measured how?

Do you measure it by how much you sweat, or how much water you've ingested?

Either, way, both are bullshit.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't blow my mind, but you made the claim that you've sweat 10lb of water. Are you sure about that? 10 lbs of water weight measured how?

Do you measure it by how much you sweat, or how much water you've ingested?

Either, way, both are bullshit.
    I already explained what I meant by that. You just want to argue. If you don't understand what I was saying, that's your problem. But I know that you do.

On a side note, I sweat out about another 5lbs or so digging this 2ft trench in my backyard in our record heat yesterday. But I compensated with beer.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I already explained what I meant by that. You just want to argue. If you don't understand what I was saying, that's your problem. But I know that you do.

On a side note, I sweat out about another 5lbs or so digging this 2ft trench in my backyard in our record heat yesterday. But I compensated with beer.
    Beer and water to be essentially the same thing. Either one would have helped poor Kevin Lee or Khabib Nurmagomedov, the latter of which threw a UFC opportunity away to cut weight. That's was an expensive couple of lbs...hit him right in the wallet.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hard weight cut leads to kidney failure, which leads to cardiac arrest, which leads to in cage death:
    http://mmaimports.com/2017/11/mma-fi...moments-later/

It’s a very unfortunate situation where C.J. Hancock took a body kick during his fight. After the kick landed, there was a few second delay, and then he collapsed in the cage. Our cutman David Maldonado immediately recognized the problem and signaled to the medical team sitting cageside. They were able to resuscitate and stabilize C.J. and took him to the hospital via ambulance where they determined he had suffered kidney failure. C.J. is currently recovering and in the company of his friends and family.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another fighter has died from a weight cut gone wrong.
    http://mmaimports.com/2017/11/r-p-ri...ad-weight-cut/

Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last