Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #11
    Michael Tzadok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jerusalem
    Posts
    1,278
    Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I can't even make a joke about this. I hope you fully recovered and didn't permanently damage anything...important.
    I'm guessing you never wrestled. Those kinds of cuts are fairly typical. Take for instance this from another wrestler:


    Whether it is healthy cannot just be measured by the lbs/kgs stripped off. It has to be about overall size and how it is done. Unless you've lived in that world, I'm not sure that you are really qualified to talk about it.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

  2. #12
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,606
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    I'm guessing you never wrestled. Those kinds of cuts are fairly typical. Take for instance this from another wrestler:


    Whether it is healthy cannot just be measured by the lbs/kgs stripped off. It has to be about overall size and how it is done. Unless you've lived in that world, I'm not sure that you are really qualified to talk about it.
    Yeah there are better and worse ways to go about it. I'm no expert on weight cuts that large, though. I work with younger folks for whom cutting like that is uncalled for, in Judo at least.

    One of my former students got into MMA (he was a ikkyu in Judo when he left at 18 years old). He fortunately was under the tutelage of a pro MMA coach (in rural British Columbia of all places). When it came time for his first match, he related the strict regimen his coach had him on to properly cut 10-12 lbs before his match. Process starts way before fight time. I was impressed to say the least.

    After his match (about a week later) he was in town, and came by to do some Judo with us. I asked him how he had felt during his match, despite the weight cut, and he told me it worked like a charm in that he did not feel weak or dehydrated.

    You of course know all this already...but it was honestly news to me at the time.

    I've seen some disastrous weight cuts by judoka, particularly young women. One of my team-mates, back when I still competed (I was in southern Idaho at the time and in my mid-30s), won a gold medal at a major tournament because all her opponents had drastically and improperly cut weight. Well, also, she was a tough and skilled judoka, however, her primary two opponents did massive weight cuts, and it pretty much killed their performance.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  3. #13
    Diesel_tke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,206
    Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a friend who took some laxatives at the wrong time during his cut because he was last minute and needed to get a few more pounds off. He was shitting his brains out during the whole tournament. He still wrestled, but didn't do as well just because he was worried that he was going to **** all over the mat. :D
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

  4. #14
    Ulsteryank's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    345
    Style
    MMA
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too many people rely on shedding water weight in their last 24 hours....

    I just turned 34, and first cut weight wrestling at 15, so I'm done with that ****. My last fight was a same day weigh in, and felt good. That's how it should be, even though you'll still get dumb asses like this that will still try a stupid cut like a few still do in wrestling and BJJ, and we'll get another renal failure or head trauma related headline.

  5. #15
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    16,606
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I had a friend who took some laxatives at the wrong time during his cut because he was last minute and needed to get a few more pounds off. He was shitting his brains out during the whole tournament. He still wrestled, but didn't do as well just because he was worried that he was going to **** all over the mat. :D
    I've seen a couple of guys drop loads in their zubon in the middle of a match, and heard stories of others, mostly from referees. Used to be you could go and change pants, but now, it's an automatic DQ now and has been for a few years.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

  6. #16
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14,361
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most I've done was 7lbs (a gallon) and I felt awful.

  7. #17
    ChenPengFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    7,410
    Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    I'm guessing you never wrestled. Those kinds of cuts are fairly typical. Take for instance this from another wrestler:


    Whether it is healthy cannot just be measured by the lbs/kgs stripped off. It has to be about overall size and how it is done. Unless you've lived in that world, I'm not sure that you are really qualified to talk about it.
    This is wabbit you re talking to.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    1,189
    Style
    MMA, Grappling
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it's not really the amount of weight, it's the lead up and preparation that are key. Losing 15lbs of water in 2 days isn't too hard of you've been drinking 2 gallons a day for a few weeks prior. I only did laxatives once, and it was a huge mistake. You can't fight and worry about shitting yourself at the same time.

    After wrestling, and then fighting for a bit, my body just wouldn't shed weight anymore. I can do maybe 5lbs in a session after doing a ton of water intake for weeks and then restricting for a day or two before weighins.

    Now those 2 week notice fights, when you gotta lose 20lbs in that time, those probably weren't good for me or anyone

  9. #19
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,655
    Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Whether it is healthy cannot just be measured by the lbs/kgs stripped off. It has to be about overall size and how it is done.
    The healthiness of cutting can be measured by the amount of weight lost as a percentage of water in the body (1-10%). Losing 9-10% of your water is typically fatal.

    According to what I've read, anything over 1% water weight loss is moving into dehydration and becoming an unhealthy state. Extreme cutting is tantamount to self-dehydration, a potentially life-threatening state once you're just a few percentage points beyond that.

    I've done BJJ and Judo, but not HS/college wrestling.


  10. #20
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    11,655
    Style
    Mixed
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    This is wabbit you re talking to.
    Yes. Remember according to CPF, I'm not qualified to talk about any subject. I definitely shouldn't be talking about dehydration! That's technical **** only wresters understand.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in