Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Give them steroids.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A kid with 2 years of JJJ and TKD is nothing to be afraid of.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLansing View Post
    . They are starting to get scary. I can't grab them anymore unless I'm very careful. The little short suckers can kick me in the head if they want
    That's cause you're a *****.
    They always look forward to their training. They get straight A's in school.
    - Joe
    That's the important part.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeLansing View Post
    I have 2 kids. A 10yo girl and an 11 year old boy. I started them out at like ages 7-8 in karate, but it is some wacko local recent brand of karate with no contact. It was like "make little circles in the air with your foot". Kids don't do that well.
    Dropped that crap when they got their Orange belt, and they didn't know anything.
    What exactly were you expecting a 7 and 8 year old to "know" after taking karate?

Next I put them into Japanese Ju Jitsu. This was way better. Mount, guard, arm bar, blocks, chokes. It is decent. Some striking, but no kicking for the most part. If they get you by the wrist or finger you will pay. They are still doing this. The instruction is real. Took a year to advance a belt.
    Yes, it seems that this is the real deal.
    Evil dad mode turned on. "If you are going to play minecraft all day, you need to work more". Lets learn to kick. Tossed them into twice a week Taekwondo.
    Nothing wrong with making children be physically active.
    It is good. They break boards, jump rope like a boxing pro, it's great for kids. And they kick!
    What specifically is good about breaking boards? Jumping rope is good for general physical fitness but is hardly a skill that needs to be obtained from a tkd instructor, and my daughter, who has played soccer since she was a small child, can kick too (probably better than the majority of tae Kwon do practicioners)!!
    now they are doing TKD on Mondays and Wednesdays, JJJ on Thursdays, and swim on Saturdays.
    Seems a little busy to me, but if the schedule doesn't introduce more stress than benefit to your family's life, then it's working for you and that's good.
    They've been into decent stuff (not the lame karate) almost 2 years now.
    By what exact criteria are you judging JJJ and TKD to be "decent stuff".
    They are starting to get scary. I can't grab them anymore unless I'm very careful. The little short suckers can kick me in the head if they want.
    Bullshit. And if it's not bullshit, I struggle to find the context in which children this age being "scary", and causing the adults who are responsible for these children's care to be concerned for their own personal safety, could be regarded as positive in any way.
    They always look forward to their training.
    This means they are enjoying it, and that is what really matters.
    They get straight A's in school.
    This is far more impressive than being accomplished athletes or fighters, and hopefully you can continue to provide them the environment they need, to continue to succeed.
    They are half Asian Filipino if that counts for anything.
    Of course it does. Everyone knows Asians are good at academic endeavors.
    So. Am I making them do too much?
    Too much martial arts? Too much homework? Too much time spent on extracurricular activities in general? I'm not 100% certain what the actual question is here, and how I would answer this depends on exactly what the question is speaking to.
    I've read stuff about youngsters and joint damage.
    Yeah... not good. I have never been impressed, in general, with expecting child bodies and child intellect and emotional maturity levels to acquire adult skills.
    I'm super proud of them,
    And you should be. Would you be just as proud if they hated martial arts and loved soccer and playing the violin?
    and I think they are proud of themselves,
    If they are enjoying what they do, and feel a sense of accomplishment, they probably are, and they should be. Or they could just be proud of the fact that you are proud of them. Children that age simply want their parents approval, and if they can see the best way to get that approval is to put on a pair of Asian pajamas and slam another kid on their back, or KICK!, then there are very few children who wouldn't give it their best effort.
    but I worry a lot about having my kids being so abnormal.
    Abnormal by who's standard? Being comfortable with yourself, and we'll adjusted enough to be a functional member of human society without having a peer committee dictate your interests is of much more value as a life skill than knowing how to efficiently choke someone unconscious.
    The JJJ teacher is weirded out about them also being in Taekwondo, the Taekwondo teacher is weirded out about them being in JJJ.
    Please define "weirded out", because unless either of them are paying for it or taking time from their day to transport them, I fail to see why their feelings are relevant.
    They have gloves and a full size Wavemaster for punching practice which isn't in TKD or JJJ.
    Why? And when did the Kukkiwon take punching out of the take Kwon do syllabus?
    So should I do anything different? What's your opinions?
    - Joe
    My opinion is that this is a trolling attempt.

Assuming it isn't, for the sake of my own entertainment, one thing that is almost always notably absent whenever someone seems fixated on having their child excel at an endeavor, is that person's own training and accomplishments.

A parent's job is to develop children into happy, healthy and well adjusted adults who are willing and capable of making a positive contribution to society.

Martial arts can absolutely help achieve that ultimate end goal, but so can a lot of other things. Whether or not a singular focus on training your children to be beasts is the best way to accomplish that goal with your family is not something I, nor anyone else on the internet, can really speak to intelligently.

My opinion is worthless, just like everyone else's opinion on this forum.

Page 2 of 2 First 12