Bartitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"No Man Shall Protect Us" - a documentary about the jujitsuffragettes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No Man Shall Protect Us.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	17543

Now in pre-production, the documentary No Man Shall Protect Us will reveal the hidden history of the secret society of female bodyguards who defended the women's rights movement just before WW1. They trained in jujitsu, they carried clubs to counter the truncheons of the police, and they fought and bled for the right to play a part in their democracy. Check out the campaign and spread the word.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This looks pretty cool. Cheers, DdlR
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice one - looking forward to watching it

Style
    Bartitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    https://youtu.be/riH2iHVX4e0

A video update for the documentary project profiling Edith Garrud, the pioneering female jujutsu instructor who trained the suffragette Bodyguard team and also starred in what may have been the world's first martial arts movie.

Style
    Bartitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...all-protect-us

Less than 48 hours remain in the No Man Shall Protect Us fundraising campaign, and the project is within $600 of being green-lit. However, Kickstarter is an all-or-nothing funding platform, so if they don't pass their goal, the documentary won't be produced.

Fun fact: Edith Garrud, who trained the original team of suffragette bodyguards circa 1913, was one of Mitsuyo Maeda's first female students.

Style
    Bartitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good news - the documentary project passed its crowdfunding goal this afternoon and it will go into production over the next several months. Once it's complete, No Man Shall Protect Us will be made freely available online.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good stuff.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    mt/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Impressive, those white women were still pretty racist though.

Style
    Bartitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by big maclol View Post
    Impressive, those white women were still pretty racist though.
    That's a vast over-simplification - the women's suffrage movement wasn't a monolithic entity, it was made up of a huge number of people who held diverse opinions on just about everything apart from the right of women to vote in elections.

It's also worth noting that this documentary isn't about the mainstream US suffrage movement, but rather the English radical suffragettes. The American preoccupation with race wasn't part of the English suffrage agenda, largely because England itself was so racially homogenous at the turn of the 20th century.

FWIW, one of the most prominent supporters of the English radical movement was an Indian princess (and god-daughter of Queen Victoria's) named Sophia Duleep Singh. Princess Sophia will also play a prominent part in the documentary.