Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Israeli wins judo gold in UAE, which refuses to play anthem, raise flag

With Israel and "Teh Jews" on my mind for some reason today, I ran across this interesting article.

Tal Flicker and bronze-winner Gili Cohen forced to celebrate under international judo federation's banner due to local prohibition on Israeli symbols

An Israeli judoka won a gold medal on Thursday at the Abu Dhabi Grand Slam judo tournament, but had to sing his own private “Hatikvah” because the organizers refused to play the Israeli national anthem.

He also had to celebrate his victory under the International Judo Federation’s flag, because the emirate banned the display of Israeli symbols.

Tournament organizers did not play Israel’s national anthem as Tal Flicker stood on the podium after receiving his medal in the men’s under-66 kilograms (145 pounds) category.

With the medal around his neck, Flicker sang his own “Hatikvah” while the International Judo Federation’s (IJF) anthem played in the background.
    Article continues with video, links, and great detail.

Of course this instantly reminds me of the Women's Chess tourney and various other retarded, bigoted, racist, and sexists activities happening in that shithole of hypocrisy, I mean #1 friend to America.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, i feel like this behavior should remove their ability to host these events. i'm sure everyone is shocked that i take that view.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    With Israel and "Teh Jews" on my mind for some reason today, I ran across this interesting article.

Tal Flicker and bronze-winner Gili Cohen forced to celebrate under international judo federation's banner due to local prohibition on Israeli symbols

Article continues with video, links, and great detail.

Of course this instantly reminds me of the Women's Chess tourney and various other retarded, bigoted, racist, and sexists activities happening in that shithole of hypocrisy, I mean #1 friend to America.
    Some bits that the article excluded.
    1) Most of the Israelis are active duty Israeli soldiers. Essentially if you have a talent that can help spread good feelings of Israel abroad such as sports, modeling, acting ect, you can opt to do that for your military service instead of wearing green and carrying a(typically unloaded) rifle. Two of my kids are on track to do BJJ for their national service. It may seem trivial to most but some of these nations take that a bit serious.

2) The Israeli national team and Judo Federation knew about this well in advance. That it was going to go down like this was reported over a month ago on BJJEE. Since it is a major component of qualifying for the Olympics they decided to accept the restrictions instead of protesting them.

3) Often opponents from Arab nations will forfeit rather than compete directly against an Israeli athlete, even at the Olympics and have never been censured for political statements, even though guys like the three athletes that protested human rights violations in the 1968 Olympics were all removed from the Olympics and banned from the Olympic village.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    yeah, i feel like this behavior should remove their ability to host these events. i'm sure everyone is shocked that i take that view.
    Nope not surprising at all.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been following this for a while.

IMO, the IJF should have never allowed the event to happen in UAE. As Michael pointed out, the Israelis (and the IJF) knew about this crap way in advance.

The IJF is all about money, let's make that clear, right along with the IOC. Any lip service they give to the original ideals of Judo as set forth by Kano is in service of making more money in the sports-entertainment business.

If the Olympics is supposed to be free of politics, fine and dandy, and athletes are not allowed to express political beliefs, then neither should the countries who host IJF events.

The Israeli judo team was in a bind, and took the high road, basically.

As I like to tell my judo students, the best revenge is served on the tatami...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    I agree, 100% on both points.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Underground Pit Fighting
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What most people don’t seam to realise is that this isn’t just a **** you to Israel it’s a **** you to the whole western civilisation.
    King without a crown

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    The IJF is all about money, let's make that clear, right along with the IOC. Any lip service they give to the original ideals of Judo as set forth by Kano is in service of making more money in the sports-entertainment business.
    This.

Style
    Judo, Nippon Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Any lip service they give to the original ideals of Judo as set forth by Kano is in service of making more money in the sports-entertainment business.
    Kano had nothing against the Berlin Olympics.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterMR View Post
    Kano had nothing against the Berlin Olympics.
    Kano had his doubts about including Judo in the Olympics

"I have been asked by people of various sections as to the wisdom and possibility of Judo being introduced with other games and sports at the Olympic Games. My view on the matter, at present, is rather passive. If it be the desire of other member countries I have no objection. But I do not feel inclined to take any initiative. For one thing, Judo, in reality, is not a mere sport or game. I regard it as a principle of life, art and science. In fact it is a means for personal cultural attainment. Only one of the forms of Judo training, so-called Randori or free practice, can be classed as a form of sport. Certainly, to some extent, the same may be said of boxing and fencing, but today they are practised and conducted as sports. Then, the Olympic Games are so strongly flavoured with Nationalism that it is possible to be influenced by it and to develop 'Contest Judo,' a retrograde form as Ju Jutsu was before Kodokwan Judo was founded."
    http://ejmas.com/jcs/2004jcs/jcsart_svinth_0504.htm

Style
    Kyokushin/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    What most people don’t seam to realise is that this isn’t just a **** you to Israel it’s a **** you to the whole western civilisation.
    That was supposed to be an up vote. sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last