Style
    mt/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Teaching small beginners in Jiu Jitsu?

I'm a purple belt in BJJ and I'm 6'5 and a bit lanky, a lot of my BJJ I can get away with because of my physical skill set. A lot of people look to me for advice because I'm a purple belt now, lol.

Quite frankly even though I won my first and latest BJJ tournament as a purple belt, my attention to technique is poor and I tend to use athleticism (yes, I get tapped by smaller technical guys all the time!)

Any good advice I can give to small people in jiu jitsu to beat up bigger people like me?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by big maclol View Post
    I'm a purple belt in BJJ and I'm 6'5 and a bit lanky, a lot of my BJJ I can get away with because of my physical skill set. A lot of people look to me for advice because I'm a purple belt now, lol.

Quite frankly even though I won my first and latest BJJ tournament as a purple belt, my attention to technique is poor and I tend to use athleticism (yes, I get tapped by smaller technical guys all the time!)

Any good advice I can give to small people in jiu jitsu to beat up bigger people like me?
    I'd advise you refer them to whoever is instructing the class.

Get on top and stay on top works for me (sometimes) but, dealing with bigger/stronger folks gets increasingly difficult as they get more and more skilled.

If you can direct them on how to avoid pressure by angling, that would be good. My BJJ coaches have been emphasizing that lately, or at least a couple of time, especially if you are in some sort of guard.

The other thing is, rolling with higher skill level will always be frustrating, because everybody who is training is progressing. It's tough to catch up and "beat people up".
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl