Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    mt/bjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Recovery from Pneumonia

So I've been resting up for a month with Pneumonia, occasionally going for walks and drives to stay in shape.

It's been about 4.5 weeks now and for the last week I've been working out again (obviously lost a lot of stamina from doing virtually nothing for a month) I got a recent x-ray and it turns out the infection is gone but my chest still tightens up from time to time. Along with a slight difficulty breathing and just an occasional pain/strain-like feeling when I take deep breaths.

I feel good when working out and a bit sore as well

Anyone know a good way to recover from pneumonia faster? I also have a congested nose, lol. I've also noticed since getting pneumonia I sometimes tend to sweat more than usual with physical activity or labored breathing.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by big maclol View Post
    So I've been resting up for a month with Pneumonia, occasionally going for walks and drives to stay in shape.

It's been about 4.5 weeks now and for the last week I've been working out again (obviously lost a lot of stamina from doing virtually nothing for a month) I got a recent x-ray and it turns out the infection is gone but my chest still tightens up from time to time. Along with a slight difficulty breathing and just an occasional pain/strain-like feeling when I take deep breaths.

I feel good when working out and a bit sore as well

Anyone know a good way to recover from pneumonia faster? I also have a congested nose, lol. I've also noticed since getting pneumonia I sometimes tend to sweat more than usual with physical activity or labored breathing.
    First off, I'd ask my doctor...

I've had pneumonia twice,and it's a bastard on wheels to have and recover. I just had to gradually work back into training and increase load/intensity over time as I was able.

That was when I was in my 20s, I can't imagine having to do that in my 50s...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    mt/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    First off, I'd ask my doctor...

I've had pneumonia twice,and it's a bastard on wheels to have and recover. I just had to gradually work back into training and increase load/intensity over time as I was able.

That was when I was in my 20s, I can't imagine having to do that in my 50s...
    My doctor was just like "Ah yeah bro, haha. Pneumonia. Infection is gone but you'll likely feel like crap for a while dude. Stay gnarly and tahtah!"

What did you to help recover from it? how long did it take to get that nice clear breath feel again?

Being inactive is so lame

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My doctor was just like "Ah yeah bro, haha. Pneumonia. Infection is gone but you'll likely feel like crap for a while dude. Stay gnarly and tahtah!"

What did you to help recover from it? how long did it take to get that nice clear breath feel again?

Being inactive is so lame
    Well, I couldn't go back to doing randori in Judo, that's for sure...
    I had to gradually up my workout length and intensity over time. Light cardio (at first, just walking around the block sucked...), gradually got on my bike and would go for short, slow rides.

That was 30 years ago or so, so I honestly don't remember exactly how long it took. I was coughing up stuff for quite a while, even after my lungs were "clear".

I'd go to Judo and do solo exercises, drills, stuff like that, what I could handle.

It's like starting over again on fitness, more or less, IME.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So if you'd read this epic story about June/ July this year, you'd have read that after I emerged from the coma, I was wracked with all types of infections, the main being pneumonia brought on by the fact that I had a machine breathing for me for more than a week.

I had a shitload of other issues to attend, of course, being completely and utterly sedentary for that long meant I also needed to learn how to stand up and walk again. My first stage was to walk up and down my house's staircase when I could. I can't begin to tell you how fucking hard that was at the time. But you won't need that.

After less than four days home I was back in hospital with pulmonary embolisms and put on blood thinners.

I was told the best thing to rehab after the above is to initially just walk as much as possible, then add progressively more weight in a back pack (but put a towel in the bottom so the weight is distributed across the shoulders rather than the back). I asked if there was any point in running, was told that it is better to do the weights first.

Personally it was fucked, going from someone who was rolling 3-5 times a week to someone who got puffed going up the stairs to bed. It was frustrating and demoralising, but you just gotta keep doing something.

I ended up getting the clearance to roll again, but not to strike (blood thinners meant a brain bruise was a death sentence). So I started rolling a couple of days a week. Then added an extra one. Then some weights.

I still have fucked cardio 3 months later, but it is only somewhat fucked and it actually has forced me to not use strength on the mats. On the other hand, I have been lifting as well. Don't underestimate the cardio benefits of lifting heavy.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had pneumonia in 2007. For 2 weeks, I felt like I was dying. For 2 more weeks, I just felt tired with anything and everything. After that, it took 2 months for me to feel normal.

I just did what I could as I could do it, and didn't force anything.

Also, some people find albuterol to be helpful when recovering. But, talk to your doctor.

Style
    mt/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys!

I also got like, 5 x rays and a CT scan in the span of 4 weeks to check on my pneumonia, should I be worried about radiation?

Style
    mt/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    So if you'd read this epic story about June/ July this year, you'd have read that after I emerged from the coma, I was wracked with all types of infections, the main being pneumonia brought on by the fact that I had a machine breathing for me for more than a week.

I had a shitload of other issues to attend, of course, being completely and utterly sedentary for that long meant I also needed to learn how to stand up and walk again. My first stage was to walk up and down my house's staircase when I could. I can't begin to tell you how fucking hard that was at the time. But you won't need that.

After less than four days home I was back in hospital with pulmonary embolisms and put on blood thinners.

I was told the best thing to rehab after the above is to initially just walk as much as possible, then add progressively more weight in a back pack (but put a towel in the bottom so the weight is distributed across the shoulders rather than the back). I asked if there was any point in running, was told that it is better to do the weights first.

Personally it was fucked, going from someone who was rolling 3-5 times a week to someone who got puffed going up the stairs to bed. It was frustrating and demoralising, but you just gotta keep doing something.

I ended up getting the clearance to roll again, but not to strike (blood thinners meant a brain bruise was a death sentence). So I started rolling a couple of days a week. Then added an extra one. Then some weights.

I still have fucked cardio 3 months later, but it is only somewhat fucked and it actually has forced me to not use strength on the mats. On the other hand, I have been lifting as well. Don't underestimate the cardio benefits of lifting heavy.

Yikes man, I'm glad you're recovering and doing a lot better!

I think I'm rushing back into the gym as well, I started from a small mini hike which was SUPER hard (more hard than usual) and for the past week since I've been back I've been rolling and training my butt off and feel like crap again (my stamina was low this week)

I think I will just do light Muay Thai 2-3x a week with brisk walks + super clean diet.

I'm going to take your advice and just ease back into training with walking + lifting

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys!

I also got like, 5 x rays and a CT scan in the span of 4 weeks to check on my pneumonia, should I be worried about radiation?
    No.

I had well over 40 in a little over 6 months along with a couple scans with radioactive isotopes in my blood. At some point they gave me a letter to give to the TSA and DHS explaining why I set of geiger counters and that I wasn't a dirty bomb.

Then they gave me 15+ more x-rays and some CTs and some MRI's.
    You will be fine.
    As for your pneumonia, just take it easy and slowly work your cardio back. Some Karate and Hapkido and JJ schools have kata and breathing exercises I have found useful. The main thing is slow steady progress. Don't over work yourself at first.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    mt/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    No.

I had well over 40 in a little over 6 months along with a couple scans with radioactive isotopes in my blood. At some point they gave me a letter to give to the TSA and DHS explaining why I set of geiger counters and that I wasn't a dirty bomb.

Then they gave me 15+ more x-rays and some CTs and some MRI's.
    You will be fine.
    As for your pneumonia, just take it easy and slowly work your cardio back. Some Karate and Hapkido and JJ schools have kata and breathing exercises I have found useful. The main thing is slow steady progress. Don't over work yourself at first.
    Ah ok, the ER doctor made a big deal about it. He was like "radiation is bad for you! stop coming to the ER to get an xray, you don't have pneumonia!"

Page 1 of 2 12 Last