Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your Microphone Amp Sucks

OK, didn't know where to put this, so YMAS seemed like the best place. I'm not an audio engineer, I'm soliciting help from anyone here that may have experience.

Here's where I'm at. I've recently connected several audio inputs and outputs through a Behringer Xenyx 1202 (12 channel mixer, no fx). That was an experiment, and I think it's going pretty well. I now have one mic, one set of headphones, and one amplifier output. The goal was to unclutter my office, and to be able to easily and seamlessly switch from skype conversation on PC 1 to netflix on PC 2, etc. That pretty much sums up the application - I spend all day on Skype calls, so I want to sound good, and I don't want to be switching gear all the time.

My mic is a Vocopro MK-7 dynamic, which came with a karaoke setup I bought a few years back. I'm not digging it. The response isn't great, and it desperately needs a preamp, because the pres on the Behringer seem to inject a lot of hiss when I crank the mic gain up to usable levels. Also tried a Radio Shack 3300660, which was just utter crap.

So, I'm thinking I grab a cheapo pre and see what that does for me? Did I mention that I want to do this for under $100?

Style
    running
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey submessenger. I'm a muso with a bit of engineering experience. It's most likely your mic that is the weak link. The Xenyx 1202 preamps should be ok for what you're using them for. Here's a link to a discussion about them on the website "gearslutz":
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newb...x-preamps.html

There is not much in the way of praise for them but from what I've read they definitely shouldn't be very noisy.

The VocoPro is a consumer quality(read - piece of ****) mic. Ditto the radio shack. Any mic that isn't from a proper pro-audio company will be shyte. There are a few companies that make decent mics that you can often have for around $100. Check out "Rode" (the rode m1 looks ok) or "Shure" (Shure SM58, SM57 are both ok). There are a million(at least) different manufacturers who possibly have a good cheap mic. Audio-Technica is another that comes to mind. Have a google and see what you reckon. Get back to me if you need further direction. Or if you want to tell me to **** off or whatever.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was shopping mics, yesterday and Friday. I'm leaning towards the SM58, but am still stuck on the price point. So, in the interim, I grabbed a cheapo phantom supply (Neewer, they seem to get pretty good reviews even though they are chinese crapola). $18 to at least diagnose the problem before making the leap for more expensive gear.

I appreciate the feedback (pun intended). I'll report back on success and next steps.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the curious, I put the mic on the FX bus (it's also on the main bus all the time, but mitigate with the main level on the mic - it gives the "comfort noise," that you are used to with a regular telephone conversation), and all my PCs, cell phone, CD player, etc on the main bus. FX runs to a splitter to mic inputs on the PCs. If I want to bring one of my main audios into a skype call, I just punch that channel into the FX bus, as well. Very handy - should also be able to bridge calls from 2 separate sources, like cell to skype, webex to skype, etc. Haven't tried that, yet.

Style
    running
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck. I'll check back in to see how it goes.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phantom power has no effect on a dynamic mike. The problem is, most likely, your mike is wing chun. There were knock-off Shures a while back that worked well enough, GLS brand, IIRC. One cool thing about Shure is they will rebuild a broken mike on the cheap, so if you can find a non-functioning one (good luck, it's easier to break a hammer than a SM series mike), you can get it functioning like new for maybe half the cost of a new one.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Phantom power has no effect on a dynamic mike. The problem is, most likely, your mike is wing chun. There were knock-off Shures a while back that worked well enough, GLS brand, IIRC. One cool thing about Shure is they will rebuild a broken mike on the cheap, so if you can find a non-functioning one (good luck, it's easier to break a hammer than a SM series mike), you can get it functioning like new for maybe half the cost of a new one.
    I've heard the SMs are indestructible. I also really like the tonal range of the SM58, based on the youtubes I've watched.

Pie in the sky, I would get a second mixer for mics, and put 3-4 in the office, allowing stereo output. My desk is L shaped, so one on each end (L and R), and one in the kink. Maybe an overhead mic, too.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Results would depend on a lot of things. Unless your room is treated specifically for audio, overhead miles are going to capture a lot of odd reflexions. Easier to close mike everyone unless you're going to have a ton of speakers.

I understand it's really cheap and easy to build tiny omnidirectional mikes, that might be another way to go. You could build them with clips, use them as lavaliers, and the proximity to the speaker would produce the off mike rejection you want.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Office?

You guys sing at work?
    You're spying on co-workers and/or employees?
    What's going on over there?!

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Office?

You guys sing at work?
    You're spying on co-workers and/or employees?
    What's going on over there?!
    LOL. Sometimes I sing. I home-office, these days. Spend much of the day on Skype and other teleconf technologies.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last