Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Bargain hunting for a tattoo shop is a great way to end up with a penis on your chest for the rest of your life.
    "Godammit, I asked for a dolphin... how hard is that?!"

Style
    Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I am still trying to figure out what lesson Brock Lesnar was supposed to teach us all ...
    That the heavyweight class has always been a step behind the other weight divisions.
    Dan Severn loves raping people.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
    "Godammit, I asked for a dolphin... how hard is that?!"
    "How hard do you want it?"
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry, but I forgot to include the part after where it states that a move is either illegal and against the rules, or it doesn't work.

"Hereís another sign that a technique or discipline doesnít work in real life competition. If boxers, muay thai fighters or a taekwondo fighters never use a particular striking technique to end a fight, itís either against the rules, or itís ineffective. If a freestyle wrestler doesnít use a takedown technique in a wrestling match, itís against the rules, or itís ineffective. If you never see a submission being used in a jiu jitsu or catch wrestling match, itís probably against the rules or it just an ineffective technique."

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained with Lyoto Machida when he came to the AKA to get ready for the Tito Ortiz fight. I actually gave him advice on avoiding takedowns on the wall. Anyways, enough name dropping.

The rules in both boxing and muay thai change the style. Machida never knocked anyone out with a weak technique that wouldn't knock out a thai or taekwondo fighter. If a strange karate technique can knock out a thai fighter, it can knock out an MMA fighter. If a strange karate technique never knocked out a thai fighter, it probably doesn't work, or it's against the rules in muay thai.

He never avoided a takedown with a technique that wouldn't work against a wrestler. In fact, he avoided takedowns from top-level wrestlers using excellent footwork and balance. If a defensive takedown technique works against high level wrestlers, like Henderson, Bader, Ortiz, Evans, etc., then it probably works well

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by resonatemoore View Post
    I trained with Lyoto Machida when he came to the AKA to get ready for the Tito Ortiz fight. I actually gave him advice on avoiding takedowns on the wall. Anyways, enough name dropping.

The rules in both boxing and muay thai change the style. Machida never knocked anyone out with a weak technique that wouldn't knock out a thai or taekwondo fighter. If a strange karate technique can knock out a thai fighter, it can knock out an MMA fighter. If a strange karate technique never knocked out a thai fighter, it probably doesn't work, or it's against the rules in muay thai.

He never avoided a takedown with a technique that wouldn't work against a wrestler. In fact, he avoided takedowns from top-level wrestlers using excellent footwork and balance. If a defensive takedown technique works against high level wrestlers, like Henderson, Bader, Ortiz, Evans, etc., then it probably works well
    Do you think Machida could have avoided take-downs executed by high level wrestlers (lets say at least USA D-1) under normal wrestling rule-set, say Freestyle?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a general practical technique guide. And I think it could be fairly useful. It's just a difficult subject because there are so many variables.

Kind of on topic, one thing I like about the judo and BJJ guys I train with, they tend to look at things through the lens of high percentage/low percentage instead of effective/ineffective...

With the caveat that garbage is dismissed as garbage.

So, to take the most generic example, it's not that wrist locks are ineffective, but against resisting opponents they tend to be low percentage.

They have worked under BJJ rules, so you can't dismiss them completely...

But as far as time spent working on something they're probably at the very bottom of my list.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a general practical technique guide. And I think it could be fairly useful. It's just a difficult subject because there are so many variables.

Kind of on topic, one thing I like about the judo and BJJ guys I train with, they tend to look at things through the lens of high percentage/low percentage instead of effective/ineffective...

With the caveat that garbage is dismissed as garbage.

So, to take the most generic example, it's not that wrist locks are ineffective, but against resisting opponents they tend to be low percentage.

They have worked under BJJ rules, so you can't dismiss them completely...

But as far as time spent working on something they're probably at the very bottom of my list.
    Personally I see things like wrist locks and von flue chokes as opportunistic submissions. Do they work? Sure. However, someone pretty much has to screw up for them to be an option. For me it's usually, "quick, snatch it before they realize they messed up." You can't really set up a wrist lock or von flue choke(ok I know one wrist lock that is a counter to an Americana attempt that you kinda set up). It's the other guy putting himself in danger, and you seizing the opportunity.

In Freestyle wrestling I can think of several opportunistic throws/holds that you hit off someone messing up on single or double attempts, and defenses. They're great to have in your repetoire for when people screw up, but by and large you can't really set them up.

So I would suggest three categories of classification, opportunistic, low percentage, high percentage.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry, but I forgot to include the part after where it states that a move is either illegal and against the rules, or it doesn't work.

"Here’s another sign that a technique or discipline doesn’t work in real life competition. If boxers, muay thai fighters or a taekwondo fighters never use a particular striking technique to end a fight, it’s either against the rules, or it’s ineffective. If a freestyle wrestler doesn’t use a takedown technique in a wrestling match, it’s against the rules, or it’s ineffective. If you never see a submission being used in a jiu jitsu or catch wrestling match, it’s probably against the rules or it just an ineffective technique."
    That opens the door for the "too deadly to spar" excuse. There are no ineffective techniques in my crappy martial art, but all the good ones are banned from competition.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Here’s another sign that a technique or discipline doesn’t work in real life competition. If boxers, muay thai fighters or a taekwondo fighters never use a particular striking technique to end a fight, it’s either against the rules, or it’s ineffective."
    I disagree- all combat sports contain good techniques that aren't fight enders. A jab, slip, duck under, or arm drag are all good techniques, but don't end fights. Lots of grappling moves (or even striking art moves) are position improvers or probes, not fight enders.

Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last