Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last
    Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Frankly MMA is still evolving. Don Fry and Randy Couture used to shoot double legs from a mile away. No way you could do that today. Royce Gracie was able to win on pure BJJ, Demian Maia tried that and failed(granted on the title fight). Growth and evolution is starting to slow down, but honestly, it is still happening.

The only way to tell whether something is effective in MMA is whether it will work in MMA. Muay Tai or Boxing aren't good arenas to figure that out. If you want to know if it is "street" effective, well, if it has ever worked in MMA, the answer is a definite yes, provided you are fighting an untrained opponent.
    I am still trying to figure out what lesson Brock Lesnar was supposed to teach us all ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I am still trying to figure out what lesson Brock Lesnar was supposed to teach us all ...
    Cave man moves, combined with good wrestling still works.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Sorry to be a little more serious when this occurred to me driving back from Judo tonight is there any sort of even semi standardized syllabus or pedagogic method for teaching MMA to a beginner who has no previous martial arts experience.
    This is semi tangential but I recall standing in a bookstore years ago- back when brick and mortar bookstores were still a thing- flipping through a Krav Maga manual.

The curriculum it outlined was basic boxing. Basic thai style elbows and knees. And kind of karate-ish kicks. Plus a couple basic judo throws and wrestling takedowns and some standard submissions like arm bar from guard and rear naked choke.

i had only heard of krav at the time and remember thinking that it seemed like a really solid collection of fundamentals.... Kind of what might fit the description you're asking about.

imagine my my chagrin when a year or two later I saw a krav demo and it was all gun disarms and aikido with karate kicks.

if I could remember the name of the book I'd find it again, just to see f I was drunk when I flipped through it, or somewhere at some point there was something practical under the krav banner.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    This is semi tangential but I recall standing in a bookstore years ago- back when brick and mortar bookstores were still a thing- flipping through a Krav Maga manual.

The curriculum it outlined was basic boxing. Basic thai style elbows and knees. And kind of karate-ish kicks. Plus a couple basic judo throws and wrestling takedowns and some standard submissions like arm bar from guard and rear naked choke.

i had only heard of krav at the time and remember thinking that it seemed like a really solid collection of fundamentals.... Kind of what might fit the description you're asking about.

imagine my my chagrin when a year or two later I saw a krav demo and it was all gun disarms and aikido with karate kicks.

if I could remember the name of the book I'd find it again, just to see f I was drunk when I flipped through it, or somewhere at some point there was something practical under the krav banner.
    Was it something like this?

Yes I know that ICCS KM still has the funky knife and gun disarms, but their base system is much more MMA focused.
    Last edited by Michael Tzadok; 9/24/2017 5:10am at .

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IIRC it was more single moves, like double leg take down, or rear naked choke, or right cross, than what was in that video... but the gist was similar.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Sorry to be a little more serious when this occurred to me driving back from Judo tonight is there any sort of even semi standardized syllabus or pedagogic method for teaching MMA to a beginner who has no previous martial arts experience.
    Erik Paulson has a CSW curriculum.
    That lineages from the Inosanto connected groups have been defining and redefining multi-range, multi-style curriculums since before the UFC.
    Last edited by WFMurphyPhD; 9/24/2017 12:23pm at .

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    IIRC it was more single moves, like double leg take down, or rear naked choke, or right cross, than what was in that video... but the gist was similar.
    Yeah I couldn't find any of their basic level stuff. I guess it isn't sexy enough to make demo vids of.

Essentially, there are a LOT of KM orgs in Israel, though there has been some die off recently. A few of them(like 2 or 3) kept to Imi's original vision of an ever evolving martial art focusing on what is most effective, and essentially went MMA in their training. They put out some manuals and tried to break in to the American Market back in the late 90's and early 2000's only to find that one org pretty much had that market locked down, and so faced failure. I think a couple of the other orgs may still have some affiliates in the US, but by and large they have withdrawn and focused on Europe and stuff.

I guess this is also where I point out that they aren't really supported by the Wingate or the IDF and that has hurt their growth as well, even though they are better from a combative perspective than traditional KM.

Also I should point out that they haven't really budged on the firearm and knife disarms for whatever reason, and those are just as likely to get you killed as ever.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I love this moment:

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brock Lesner taught us, "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****."

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bargain hunting for a tattoo shop is a great way to end up with a penis on your chest for the rest of your life.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
    [quote=SoulMechanic]Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.[/[quote]

Page 3 of 7 First 1234567 Last