Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I had this idea for a rolling device to attach to an axle. You start with a flat square of material, then cut the corners off to make an octagon, then cut those corners off to make it more round, then keep cutting the corners off until it has a nice round shape. I call it the rollinator.
    This would never work on the street.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    This would never work on the street.
    Well instead of a street, we'll design a flattened road covered in some sort of hard concrete type material for the rollinators to roll on.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to be a little more serious when this occurred to me driving back from Judo tonight is there any sort of even semi standardized syllabus or pedagogic method for teaching MMA to a beginner who has no previous martial arts experience.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would you say that those moves work well in MMA, but are never used successfully in boxing or thai?

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by resonatemoore View Post
    Why would you say that those moves work well in MMA, but are never used successfully in boxing or thai?
    Different rule-sets? What is allowed in boxing versus MT versus MMA? Isn't a true backfist against rules in standard boxing?

Rulesets of combat sport drive techniques, tactics, and strategy.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having to worry about take downs, leg attacks and submissions significantly changes the game. Also different rules as to what is permitted, tends to change things up.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the person cannot hit the target accurately, under stress, quickly, then larger caliber does not matter.
    And, hand to hand skills pale in comparison to the force (the force of a projectile of sufficient foot pound of energy going through their body).
    Wait, what were we talking about?

Style
    Muay Thai/Wrestling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look at it in reverse, Floyd Mayweather Jr., brilliant boxer. Flawless. The way he stands and moves in MMA would get him leg kicked to death and/or taken down repeatedly. Not a knock on Floyd, but what's great for one ruleset is not necessarily great for another.

A good wrestler can oftentimes get away with sloppy striking because their opponents are worried about the takedown. Every time he feints they have to defend and he can land a strike even if it's not the sharpest technique.

A prime Lyoto Machida would be a terrible boxer. A pretty terrible Muay Thai fighter... but he was almost untouchable in the cage.

Style
    all things in Moderation
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anderson Silva was winning fights under MMA rulesets with what looked like sloppy TKD for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Pramek/Sambo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Anderson Silva was winning fights under MMA rulesets with what looked like sloppy TKD for a while.
    Frankly MMA is still evolving. Don Fry and Randy Couture used to shoot double legs from a mile away. No way you could do that today. Royce Gracie was able to win on pure BJJ, Demian Maia tried that and failed(granted on the title fight). Growth and evolution is starting to slow down, but honestly, it is still happening.

The only way to tell whether something is effective in MMA is whether it will work in MMA. Muay Tai or Boxing aren't good arenas to figure that out. If you want to know if it is "street" effective, well, if it has ever worked in MMA, the answer is a definite yes, provided you are fighting an untrained opponent.
    Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

Page 2 of 7 First 123456 ... Last