Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
    Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ Times Should Stick with BJJ

So, I found this:
    https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/homele...e-harai-goshi/

And I was like, cool, this should be interesting.
    Then I watched the video: Note the title. Last I heard Harai Goshi is a Judo throw.

And noticed that the throw wasn't even Harai Goshi. At first, I thought, OK more of leggy Harai Goshi merging into Ashi Guruma...

Then I really watched it, and it's neither. It's a leg-across/assisted Ippon Seoi Nage. Uke is clearly tossed up and over the shoulder of tori.

Tori even just holds uke in Kesa Gatame, no transition to KOB, Mount, or a submission.

Clearly, homeless dude has done some Kodokan Judo...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Totally looks like Judo to me, when homeless guy is yanking on uke's at neck and elbow before the throw, you don't often see that in BJJ. Which brings me to my question: is there a name for that, in the syllabus? It's a staple move of judoka, used to position and/or off-balance uke before an attempt.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Totally looks like Judo to me, when homeless guy is yanking on uke's at neck and elbow before the throw, you don't often see that in BJJ. Which brings me to my question: is there a name for that, in the syllabus? It's a staple move of judoka, used to position and/or off-balance uke before an attempt.
    It's not a named technique. Judo doesn't name set-ups/action reaction sequences, etc. I've had to make up names ( in English) to help students remember them. Even then, they tend to be generalities.

He is stiff-arming with his left hand to keep distance and to try to get uke to push back. Uke appears to tear off his own right hand grip, maybe to take a swing, tori does what I call "the bob", gets uke to step to uke left, and it's up and over.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Harai goshi WAS a judo throw, before Helio Gracie invented it. Or, stole it from the Koreans... which ever.

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    Harai goshi WAS a judo throw, before Helio Gracie invented it. Or, stole it from the Koreans... which ever.
    He learned Judo from Maeda, so he could not have invented it.

The Koreans and Russians colluded...

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard judo is common in gradeschool in Brazil, is that true?

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    He learned Judo from Maeda, so he could not have invented it.

The Koreans and Russians colluded...
    He trained in jujitsu under Maeda (or maybe it was "jiujitsu"... depends on which non-MA forum all of the non-practicing MA "experts" are discussing it).

Either way, suggesting that BJJ is rooted in that ***** sports based **** really detracts from the fullness of Gracie awesomeness.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I've heard judo is common in gradeschool in Brazil, is that true?
    I've never heard that but it wouldn't surprise me. I was a little surprised to learn how popular it actually is, worldwide.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    tori does what I call "the bob"
    Yep, that's what I was asking. Very apt name. Benbob, perhaps?

Style
    BJJ (white belt)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Yep, that's what I was asking. Very apt name. Benbob, perhaps?
    Beekbob?
    "I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scares away ghosts, creates for itself goblins--it wants to laugh." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If you are getting scared and short of breathe remind/tell yourself ,"There's no where else in the whole world I choose to be tonight."

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last